Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    WTF how are people saying an ounce isnt anything and you cant deal that amount...Anything for a tenners worth and police will suspect you deal.

ReputationRep:
    I think there's a possibility that an ounce could be construed as intent to supply.

Either way, it's a matter of popping down the district court, pleading guilty and getting a fairly modest fine. Unless it's some way connected with the university, or brings them into disrepute, I doubt they'll care.

ReputationRep:
    Gosh you're going on like this is a big deal and its something new.

people smoke on the bus, eventhough theres a sign saying no smoking.
    SHOCKING!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fandellos)
    The police ask for uni?? I mean, if he can avoid mentioning the university at all he should be ok?
    Your mates in a catch 22, the terms of the contract of study state that if your convicted you have to tell the uni.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DMed)
    Your mates in a catch 22, the terms of the contract of study state that if your convicted you have to tell the uni.
    Does it ay repercussions of doing such a thing?

and if "he forgets" to mention it the uni has no way of finding out.....?

ReputationRep:
    Does it ay repercussions of doing such a thing?

and if "he forgets" to mention it the uni has no way of finding out.....?
    I spose, but if they do find out he'll be expelled from the University for deception.

ReputationRep:
    yeah...hmmm....tricky

ReputationRep:
    Uni can't get involved; becomes a case of "double jeopardy" as they're another body.

I know this because when my old best mate/flatmate stole from me at the beginning of this year and I got him arrested, the uni couldn't force him to change halls nor kick him out of them because of this. In fact, they couldn't do anything. He's still here now ¬_¬

But yeah, dunno what the police will do.

ReputationRep:
    your mate is a retard, i hate people that take drugs, and why are you worried, its your mates fault, he should have thought about the consequences!
    :banana2: :banana2: :banana2:

ReputationRep:
    Did he say how much he paid? Make up some baloney about how he gets it on a better deal on the oz, sure he'll look like a pothead, but it's better than looking like a dealer. Friend tried it once and it worked, it was taken off, but all he got was a verbal. I've been caught a few times and I've always had a pretty easy time telling the truth, but I've never been found with that amount. He got caught at the right time of year though, as charged it's Class C, I'd be surprised if it goes as far as court/a fine. Play it as a heavy user, not a dealer, and see how it all turns out, no other way of going about it.

As for uni, one of the times I was caught was in Halls, and they said if it happened again on University property I'd be thrown out. She advised smoking outside. Again, though, it's going to depend on his luck, if the person in charge at his uni is a drugs nazi then, well, ouch. The Uni will find out, because the police will ask a bunch of questions and that will probably be one of them, and there's probably an agreement about working together to minimise 'social misconduct'.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AsphyxiateD)
    Uni can't get involved; becomes a case of "double jeopardy" as they're another body.

I know this because when my old best mate/flatmate stole from me at the beginning of this year and I got him arrested, the uni couldn't force him to change halls nor kick him out of them because of this. In fact, they couldn't do anything. He's still here now ¬_¬

But yeah, dunno what the police will do.
    I remember that thread, it made me angry.

ReputationRep:
    I spoke to him this morning and he is pretty cut up about it. I know I shouldn't be worried, but it's a friend. He has worked so hard to get to where he is now and it could all go tits up because of something stupid.

He said he don't want to tell the judge he is at university because that would mean the police would have to know and they could tell the university.

I'll keep my fingers crossed that he gets off with a fine.

I know this isn't the place for debate but I am angry because alcohol is more harmful to you than weed is, yet people can go and but 3 crates of alcohol but my friend gets in trouble for stocking up on his supply. I know it's because weed is illegal but it's still stupid if he gets locked up because of this.

And police shouldn't assume he is a dealer unless they can prove he is. He is just a guy that likes to have a smoke.

Cheers for the replies anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cascadingstylez)
    He is very smart, but not sure the judge will see it that way.
    cant be that smart can he? or he wouldnt be in this mess

(Original post by cascadingstylez)
    And police shouldn't assume he is a dealer unless they can prove he is. He is just a guy that likes to have a smoke.
    well i suppose my that logic unless that they shouldnt assume anyones a murderder unless they can prove it. End of the day he had an ounce on him, if thats enough to class as outside personal use then of course they are going to assume hes a dealer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DMed)
    Unfortunately, Uni (at least in the case of Liverpool) look very dimly on people committing a non-traffic criminal offence, it is on the same level as plagairism.
    Good to know that Liverpool University aren't without a sense of proportion regarding such matters.

ReputationRep:
    hmm problem is, as others have said, an ounce is enough for them to suspect dealing. I mean that's 8 eights(duh lol) and as you can tell carrying enough to sell to eight customers seems kinda suspicious, especially since he has been caught with weed before, did you say if he was caught growing it or what? If he has been caught growing it before I'd say he's screwed tbh.

But yeah his only real hope is to go with the fact he bought a lot because it was cheaper that way. Problem is then the cops, if they can be bothered to case up a weed dealer, might force him to snitch on the dealer.

ReputationRep:
    All the people saying its not enough to get done for supply with intent to deal are wrong.
    I wouldn't want to be out with anything more than an 8th.
    An ounce is a fair bit and looking at his past convictions it is quite likely the rossers will assume he is intending to deal.

ReputationRep:
    Tell the police to stop playa-hatin'

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Darkel)
    Tell the police to stop playa-hatin'
    ^listen to this guy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by silverbolt)
    well i suppose my that logic unless that they shouldnt assume anyones a murderder unless they can prove it.
    Yes, that's pretty much the whole innocent-until-proven-guilty thing. If I give you evils I don't get charged for intent to murder. Clearly there are plenty of cases where there are reasons for that level of possession that aren't supply, so there's not even circumstantial evidence for intent to do so.
    he mixes amazing academic skill with recreational drugs? wowzah....
    To be fair non-drinkers are in the minority at my Uni.

ReputationRep:
    I actually suspect your friend was dealing, when i say dealing i mean he buys an ounce sells a bit to his mates to pay for his own smoke. I know loads of people who do this, as along with the free weed generated from sales it saves all your friends asking you to score for them all the time. No way a student just buys by the ounce imo. Still very unfortunate to get caught.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.