The Student Room Group

Hurt his ego so he hurt me?

Okay so during an argument with a guy I’m exclusive with I said he’s acting like a little boy and needs to act his age he’s 35 (10 years older than me) and he said get the F off my phone and hung up on me.

Is this normal. I hate people swearing

Scroll to see replies

At 35, you see, they become children 'once again'. And so during this time, it is difficult to understand what they think. Don't take it to heart.

Spoiler

Yes, his ego was probably wounded by being told that he was acting like a little boy and needed to grow up.
So he got angry and foul mouthed during an argument.
Then had to have the last word and proved your point.

Are you sure that you want to continue being exclusive with him?
Plenty of calmer, less egotistical and more mature single guys in the dating sea- who do act their age not their shoe size.
Good luck!
Original post by londonmyst
Yes, his ego was probably wounded by being told that he was acting like a little boy and needed to grow up.
So he got angry and foul mouthed during an argument.
Then had to have the last word and proved your point.

Are you sure that you want to continue being exclusive with him?
Plenty of calmer, less egotistical and more mature single guys in the dating sea- who do act their age not their shoe size.
Good luck!

Majority of the time he is calm. However it’s happened twice where he’s sworn while talking to me. He never insults me but he swears during the sentence. It’s been 10months since we’ve been seeing eachother. But I do feel like that was unnecessary I also said to him ‘this is the last time I’m telling you to stop swearing’ he said ‘who the f are you’
Reply 4
I mean if my guy was belittling me saying I'm acting like little girl and need to act my age he could get tf off my phone too. You both should communicate respectfully, both delivery is immature IMO.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by xox416
I mean if my guy was belittling me saying I'm acting like little girl and need to act my age he could get tf off my phone too. You both should communicate respectfully, both delivery is immature IMO.

But he was acting like that. Can I not say that?

I felt like I communicated well. I was calm didn’t raise my voice or anything he was the one shouting and swearing while speaking
Original post by Anonymous

I felt like I communicated well. I was calm didn’t raise my voice or anything he was the one shouting and swearing while speaking

I think telling someone that they need to stop behaving like a little boy in a calm voice is just going to come across as patronising rather than constructive.
He should not be losing his temper and swearing at you (indirectly) either, but I think it’s understandable why he was triggered by this.
Reply 7

I find it kind of patronizing not very helpful in that situation. Sounds like something a mother would say to her child.

Just because someone is calm and not cussing doesn't mean they aren't coming off as patronizing and condescending ...not saying those were your intentions but that's probably how he took it. Probably best to give eachother space and dismiss eachother respectfully when you feel like it's about to get heated.
End it
End it

Why ?
Okay so during an argument with a guy I’m exclusive with I said he’s acting like a little boy and needs to act his age he’s 35 (10 years older than me) and he said get the F off my phone and hung up on me.

Is this normal. I hate people swearing

You hurt him and he hurt you, but you are more focused on your hurt. Next time, don't tell a grown man to stop acting like a little boy.
What was he doing to act "like a little boy"?
Original post by Wired_1800
You hurt him and he hurt you, but you are more focused on your hurt. Next time, don't tell a grown man to stop acting like a little boy.

But he was…
But he was…

Saying "I think you're being a bit immature about this" is constructive, telling someone "you're behaving like a little boy" is insulting and likely to provoke an emotional response which is what happened.

Relationships aren't about being in the right, it about communicating clearly with each other.
Original post by rosy_posy
What was he doing to act "like a little boy"?

Ok so I told him something he’s told me in the past and he said he never said that. A lot of the time he does this and makes me feel crazy. I said if u continue this I won’t keep seeing you because it’s like you’re lying about certain things.

he said you know what I’m fed up of u telling me stuff like that no one is forcing you to f be here. ( swore during the whole sentence ) and I told him to do better. I kept telling him tell me what annoyed you because I called him rude Snd he said I’m rude and don’t think what comes out of my mouth. I asked if it was ‘do better’ and he said do you not f remember I said no he said well neither do I. I said ok then stop being angry. I was in a calm tone and normally I’m dramatic and I said your being childish. Stop swearing when you speak to me I’m telling you for the last time. He said who the f are you I said you acting like a little boy he said get the F off my phone then hung up
Original post by Admit-One
Saying "I think you're being a bit immature about this" is constructive, telling someone "you're behaving like a little boy" is insulting and likely to provoke an emotional response which is what happened.

Relationships aren't about being in the right, it about communicating clearly with each other.

Yes I u understand. But I tried asking him what offended him and he didn’t want to tell me. What can I do

This is what happened
Ok so I told him something he’s told me in the past and he said he never said that. A lot of the time he does this and makes me feel crazy. I said if u continue this I won’t keep seeing you because it’s like you’re lying about certain things.

he said you know what I’m fed up of u telling me stuff like that no one is forcing you to f be here. ( swore during the whole sentence ) and I told him to do better. I kept telling him tell me what annoyed you because I called him rude Snd he said I’m rude and don’t think what comes out of my mouth. I asked if it was ‘do better’ and he said do you not f remember I said no he said well neither do I. I said ok then stop being angry. I was in a calm tone and normally I’m dramatic and I said your being childish. Stop swearing when you speak to me I’m telling you for the last time. He said who the f are you I said you acting like a little boy he said get the F off my phone then hung up.

in the last week during arguments he said to me who the f am I ? And I find that so rude

I’d never wanna hurt his feelings.
But he was…

You don't say that to a grown man.

For example, if I see a woman acting like a b****, it would be offensive to say “stop acting like a b****” to her.

he said you know what I’m fed up of u telling me stuff like that no one is forcing you to f be here. ( swore during the whole sentence ) and I told him to do better. I kept telling him tell me what annoyed you because I called him rude Snd he said I’m rude and don’t think what comes out of my mouth. I asked if it was ‘do better’ and he said do you not f remember I said no he said well neither do I. I said ok then stop being angry. I was in a calm tone and normally I’m dramatic and I said your being childish. Stop swearing when you speak to me I’m telling you for the last time. He said who the f are you I said you acting like a little boy he said get the F off my phone then hung up

You got his back up, so he overreacted to what you said. It sounds like he is easily angered though. He could have just forgotten about what he said in the past, or he remembers but doesn't want to admit or talk about it. Does he act like this whenever you confront him about something?
Majority of the time he is calm. However it’s happened twice where he’s sworn while talking to me. He never insults me but he swears during the sentence. It’s been 10months since we’ve been seeing eachother. But I do feel like that was unnecessary I also said to him ‘this is the last time I’m telling you to stop swearing’ he said ‘who the f are you’

When you feel ready to breakup and ghost him, you can end the relationship by telling him to man up or risk being the playground whining 40 year old little boy who uses rude words whenever he throws a tantrum. :biggrin:
Then block him and change all your contact information.

There's plenty of attractive and more compatible single guys that know how to behave like an adult.
Good luck!
Original post by londonmyst
When you feel ready to breakup and ghost him, you can end the relationship by telling him to man up or risk being the playground whining 40 year old little boy who uses rude words whenever he throws a tantrum. :biggrin:
Then block him and change all your contact information.

There's plenty of attractive and more compatible single guys that know how to behave like an adult.
Good luck!

I would strongly advise against that approach. Some men have seriously harmed women who have done similar things even one sadly lost her life.

It is always safer for the girl to have a peaceful and amicable breakup in a public environment.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending