The Student Room Group

Gaming PC

So I'm looking for a PC and instead of building one, I'm buying a pre-built one.
I'm not a heavy gamer because my current and broken PC was so old that the only game I used to play was Minecraft. But with this new PC, I'd like to play more games (League, Warzone, and whatnot).

With this information, can you all help me determine how good the PC below (regardless of the accessories) is for my needs and in terms of pricing?
https://www.cyberpowersystem.co.uk/system/infinity-x105-gaming-pc-bundle
Buy asap, if China starts on Taiwan the cost of chips is going to go crazy.

Those two builds aren't the best and are typical of pre-builts.

Both have completely insufficient storage, which you will struggle to have more than 2 games on your SSD. If one of them is HZD or Warzone, you'll have a mare.

The Infinity only has 8Gb RAM, but at least has a good GPU. The Amazon one is a bit shady on what MB you're getting - it says h410m, so you might as well call it grandmotherboard. And the 2060 6Gb is kind of old hat.

This kind of build is going to give you playable games at 1080p for the last-gen cool games - HZD, Tomb Raider, GTA, Warzone etc etc. My concern is that you may not have anywhere to go with these PCs. The shortcuts have to come from somewhere and the people building the PCs have to make some money (otherwise there's no point doing it). Basically, you're getting 2-3 year old parts that are at the end of the product cycle. You'll have decent fun now, but when the games get more hungry you might have nowhere to go and you'll have to start lowering and lowering your settings until Fortnite looks like you're playing Minecraft.

Honestly, you could buy a PC for much less money and have similar performance, but have upgrade capability. I'd look for a newer AMD motherboard with more slots, 16Gb RAM, a big HDD and graphics wise something like a 6600xt. CPU wise....I think you need to go with whatever you budget allows. Maybe a R5 5500 You'll get very good 1080p gaming but be at the bottom of your PC's potential, rather than at the top.

I know you said you don't want to build your own, but components wise, for an R5 5500, b550 Motherboard, 16Gb RAM, a 6600, a 500Gb SSD, 4Tb HDD and a 750W Gold PSU - throw it all in a crap case and you're spending £850 on something decent that you can actually store games on and improve going forward.

Going down the intel route seems a lot more expensive atm.
(edited 1 year ago)

Quick Reply

Latest