The Student Room Group
Graduation day, University of Glasgow
University of Glasgow
Visit website

Neurodiversity support

What support is available to neurodivergent students (and is it any good)?
I'm not going to Glasgow however I thought that I might help as I'm about to start at Sheffield and have autism and anxiety.
First, have you done the DSA assessment as this was really good for the software and mentoring support? This is done through student finance England and isn't have to do with the university so it will be the same.
If you haven't done this and want more information please ask
Secondly, I disclosed my disabilities on my UCAS form so the uni contacted me / if you didn't disclose it I would advise contacting them.
The I was asked to provide evidence which was my diagnostic report
After the evidence was confirmed I was provided a disability mentor and I then had a meeting with them.
At this meeting we discussed challenges that I would face such as practicals and exams and together we came up with adjustments for these (which can be changed at a later date if I think something else would be better)
I was then provided a support group for autism and another one for mental health.
This was then sent to my lecturers and the department. I don't know if this is for all universities but I was then emailed by my disability liaison officer (who helps all the disabled students in a single department) and they discussed things that the DDSS might not have know and where course specific. They also provided me with photos of where I would be studying, tours of the rooms and I got to meet the lecturers before the course started
If you would like any more information please just ask
Sorry that you haven't had a response sooner hope this helps
Graduation day, University of Glasgow
University of Glasgow
Visit website
Reply 2
Hi there, I am studying part-time through the OU and got a late diagnosis of ADD last year; I am awaiting an autism assessment [takes 3 years]. I am now 50, and my son was diagnosed with ADHD and on the Autistic spectrum in 2009; he's 22 now. I studied in the late 90s, doing an HND in Stage Management, and did a 20k dissertation thingy.
I am now in year 2[stage 2] of a BA in arts and humanities [ changed my direction a few times], focusing now on the classical. I find assignments hard; I have always struggled to write them. My grammar and structure suffered immensely, and I got awarded DSA through that Grammarly premium, which helps reorder my sentences [which it is currently doing]. I am doing a classical Latin module, which is one academic year long. I am interested in furthering my studies by 2026 or before, but I must finish this degree first.
I want to know, does anyone else with ADD/possible ASD struggle academically with writing? I am not sure, as it's not feeling like it is the above; I doubt I'm dyslexic or have dysgraphia [ as I enjoy drawing in my spare time when I'm not suffering from a lack of confidence]. I asked the doctor for some kind of referral.
As far as I know looking back, this has effected me for a very long time.
Original post by 2023entry
What support is available to neurodivergent students (and is it any good)?

I have autism and was pleasantly surprised by the help available at Uni of Glasgow - they have been absolutely amazing from the start. Make sure you get your DSA application in early to make sure you don't miss out on any kit but even when mine was delayed I got sorted out with kit to borrow while my actual assistive kit arrived. And make sure to register! There's a deadline you need to get support requests in to get help in exams so make sure to register in good time, you can even do it before term starts.
No issue is too big or too small for them, and I even got an autism mentor who has been brilliant. They have been amazing when I've had meltdowns and had to come and see them, there's always someone in the disability service office who is free to speak to you.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending