The Student Room Group

Uni fine art portfolio tips?

I so far love Falmouth and Bournemouth and Bath Spa, I realise it’s super competitive. How can I make a good portfolio and personal statement, what would help make me stand out?
Original post by amelia1234567891
I so far love Falmouth and Bournemouth and Bath Spa, I realise it’s super competitive. How can I make a good portfolio and personal statement, what would help make me stand out?

Hi there!

For your personal statement - be genuine and authentic. Think about exhibitions you've been to, workshops you've attended, any hobbies you have that are relevant to fine art. Think about your creative journey so far, and make sure to focus on that and be sure to mention any future aspirations you have that are relevant - if you don't have a career path yet that's okay too, but make it clear why you want to study your subject! You can talk about artists or ideas that inspire you or inspired certain works you've made. See it as an opportunity to celebrate yourself, the work you've made and why you want to study at the institution/s you've picked!

As for your portfolio, you're going to want to pick between 20-30 pieces of work that best reflect you as an artist. You're going to want to include successful pieces (mostly) but I'd also recommend picking at least one unsuccessful or unfinished piece - as this will be a talking point in an interview. Being able to critically reflect on your own work proves you're at an academic thinking level, which is what is expected of you at degree level! You're going to want to include pieces that you loved making, and are happy to talk about if prompted. It might be worth ordering your work in order you'd want to talk it through at the interview as well!

I'd recommend seeing if any of the institutions you're interested in have any sessions to go through personal statements/portfolios or if they have anything recommended they'd like to see/their top tips when applying to them!

I hope that helps!
Good luck with it all!

Jess
MA Illustration Student
Original post by ArtsUniPlymouth
Hi there!

For your personal statement - be genuine and authentic. Think about exhibitions you've been to, workshops you've attended, any hobbies you have that are relevant to fine art. Think about your creative journey so far, and make sure to focus on that and be sure to mention any future aspirations you have that are relevant - if you don't have a career path yet that's okay too, but make it clear why you want to study your subject! You can talk about artists or ideas that inspire you or inspired certain works you've made. See it as an opportunity to celebrate yourself, the work you've made and why you want to study at the institution/s you've picked!

As for your portfolio, you're going to want to pick between 20-30 pieces of work that best reflect you as an artist. You're going to want to include successful pieces (mostly) but I'd also recommend picking at least one unsuccessful or unfinished piece - as this will be a talking point in an interview. Being able to critically reflect on your own work proves you're at an academic thinking level, which is what is expected of you at degree level! You're going to want to include pieces that you loved making, and are happy to talk about if prompted. It might be worth ordering your work in order you'd want to talk it through at the interview as well!

I'd recommend seeing if any of the institutions you're interested in have any sessions to go through personal statements/portfolios or if they have anything recommended they'd like to see/their top tips when applying to them!

I hope that helps!
Good luck with it all!

Jess
MA Illustration Student

Thank you so much Jess!

Quick Reply

Latest