Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Heyy.
    So the thing is...im in y11, its november and my school is like NOT MENTIONING A LEVEL CHOICES AT ALL. and 6th form open evenings are coming up and all that and im thinking come on I need a little support here.

Can anyone tell me if:
    My subject choices are good (induvidualy and the combination)

If I should take chemistry "for interest" rather than "because I want to go into medicine or sumthing" as Iv heard its very difficult. because sum1 sed its not worth it, taking it because im "a bit intrested".

Does philosophy sound better then it is? I like it at gcse level and I hope to take it further to improve thinking and stuff. Is it a respected subject?

Maths
    Economics
    Eng Lit
    Chemistry/ Philosphy

Any advice or comments on any of the subjects would be appreciated
    since school is so unhelpful
    x

Ps. Im set on maths and economics for definate ( I think LOL)

ReputationRep:
    Yes, Philosophy is respected. But do you have any ideas about what you would like to do after A-levels?

ReputationRep:
    I took both Chemistry and Philosophy for interest and enjoyed them both though I did do better in Philosophy.

ReputationRep:
    AGHHHHHHHH the dreaded question..."What do you want to do at uni"
    Well im not doing Science and hopefully not HARD CORE Maths but maybe finance...or somthing englishy...dad wants me to do PPE philosophy Economics Politics...but i just don't feel like iv discoverd what i want to do yet...is that a bad thing?
    I try to do well in all subjects that I do at gcse to keep my options open but now.... :'(
    Im just trying to pick the A levels that I enjoy and would be good at.
    You see, my maaaaajor talent is art but i dropped that (stupidly) at GCSE. I knew I wouldnt take it further anyway. Im babbling now.

ReputationRep:
    Everyone who I know who did Chemistry found it impossible and didn't do as well as they hoped in exams (apart from amazing people who are in another league...). People doing Philosophy from my experience love it and want to do it at uni. I would do Philosophy, looking at your other A Levels...but then again, if you prefer Chemistry and are more willing to work hard for it then go for that... And also you have a while before you have to decide, so don't worry!

ReputationRep:
    And.. PPE would be a good uni course with your A Levels..but that's waaay in the future as well

ReputationRep:
    Ok. Thanks !
    and I know most people probably think im worrying too much and its way in the future but my dad keeps saying
    "now is when you decide the future" so yeh its kinda hammerd into me.
    Also because i chose the wrong gcse's (i did geog but now i wish i had taken hist instead! It pains!!!)
    x

ReputationRep:
    Economics- Amazing subject. It is SO useful. Look at the current economic crisis we are in. You would be at an atomatic advantage if you have sound economic knowledge. And you wont be lost wehn watching the news.

English Lit- For me it was incredibly dull. As for a career, your looking at teaching.

Maths- If your'e good at it, go for it. If not, dont. Ive heard it is very difficult, esp in A2.

I advise you to do Law. Most interesting subject and career path is excellent.

ReputationRep:
    Why don't you start taking all 5? A lot of people find that's too much, but if you don't, that's great, and if you do you can then drop one after finding out what they're actually like instead of going by our opinions/the open days.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Snookercraze)
    Economics- Amazing subject. It is SO useful. Look at the current economic crisis we are in. You would be at an atomatic advantage if you have sound economic knowledge. And you wont be lost wehn watching the news.

English Lit- For me it was incredibly dull. As for a career, your looking at teaching.

Maths- If your'e good at it, go for it. If not, dont. Ive heard it is very difficult, esp in A2.

I advise you to do Law. Most interesting subject and career path is excellent.
    How biased was that? In philosophy you learn about a little thing called justification.

If you actually gave grounds for your opinions they might be seen as credible rather than a bunch of assertions.

ReputationRep:
    I could take all five. That would be good as im already doing maths AS and in year 12 will complete maths A2.
    But many 6th forms/college advise to do 4... O the work load....... can't even handle gcse's at the mo (stupid business and pointless geog coursework raarrr).

Thankyou everyone
    xx

ReputationRep:
    Sorry but I have to disagree with ^^ that english is useless and only used for teaching...it is a strong subject looked upon well with unis and how you use language is very important if you want to give a good impression!
    Also big mistake in not taking GCSE History cuh.. :P Take it up for A Level! Also a good traditional subject very well looked upon.. (I may be slightly biased because I loveee it!) And my dad's the same with 'thinking of the future' and getting ahead with things..but it really is best tbh!got lots of work experience thanks to him making me get on with things..and 4 offers already! xD
    sorry for the rant...

ReputationRep:
    They seem fine. Ive just started my AS levels in sept. Maths has been ok and economics is probably my strongest and maybe fave subject Im doing Bio beause i enjoyed it even though i know i wont do science at uni. And im doing Eng language, so ur choices are similar to mine

ReputationRep:
    Im doing Maths. F Maths, chemistry, biology and physics

Chemistry is definately the hardest science, but that's not really saying a lot. As long as you do the work and try to understand the concepts, you should be fine. If you're doing maths AS this year then definately go for maths next year, it would be stupid not to.

As for economics, a lot of my friends are taking it and they all seem to enjoy it. Aparently it's not too dificult and had some obvious career paths linked.

If you do have more of an idea of what you want to do at uni then of course it is easier to decide what to do at A level, just make sure you don't close any/too many doors with A level choices.

ReputationRep:
    i heard chemistry is meant to be the hardest subject, however it really depends on you, i do chemistry an it is just like a walk in the park... but ask me a biology question and my brain implodes
    cant comment on philosophy tho (took me three attempts just to spell it lol)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KP40186)
    AGHHHHHHHH the dreaded question..."What do you want to do at uni"
    Well im not doing Science and hopefully not HARD CORE Maths but maybe finance...or somthing englishy...dad wants me to do PPE philosophy Economics Politics...but i just don't feel like iv discoverd what i want to do yet...is that a bad thing?
    I try to do well in all subjects that I do at gcse to keep my options open but now.... :'(
    Im just trying to pick the A levels that I enjoy and would be good at.
    You see, my maaaaajor talent is art but i dropped that (stupidly) at GCSE. I knew I wouldnt take it further anyway. Im babbling now.
    Sounds as if Eng lit and Economics are pretty sound choices then. And if you're good at the other two and enjoy them, it seems like you've got it about right

ReputationRep:
    I'm in year 12 and am studying both Chemistry and philosophy (RS: ethics & philosophy). Im also not interested in medicine so maybe I can be of some help.

Chemistry is a difficult subject and quite a step up from GCSE. I find myself longing for the days of drawing 2d pics of electron structures. Having said that, if you concentrate and make sure you understand the material, you will be ok. And since chemistry is a very respected subject, uni's may be more lenient with the grades they ask for if you have chemistry A level.

Im studying ethics & philosophy which will be a bit different to philosphy but I find it really interesting (my favourite subject in fact). Its also both easy and respected (but maybe not quite as respected as chemistry). If you like a good debate and thinking about abstract concepts, its a very enjoyable subject.

~ Concept

ReputationRep:
    I don't find chemistry that hard tbh.
    Once you understand the concepts, it's pretty simple.
    If it helps, I'm in year 12 and I don't know what I want to do in university.
    It sucks because you can't be specific with A-level choices, but there you go.

Are you planning on dropping any subjects at A2?
    Maths you'll have finished by year 13.
    If Philosophy is a subject you may drop, then I guess you could always try Chemistry in year 12 and if it proves to be difficult, drop it, and pick up Philosophy, either in the same year or in year 13.
    Or, take Philosophy, Economics and English Lit to A2, alongside a Chemistry AS in year 13.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KP40186)
    Maths - Very respected subject, opens up lots of doors in terms of higher education, from economics to physics to engineering to maths. However, I would only advise taking it if you are genuinely good at it. By that, I mean you will easily get an A/A* at GCSE with very little effort.

Economics - Again, a respected subject. It can be very useful and relevant to everyday life and will be a good subject to take if you are looking to do a finance/management related degree or career. Having said that, it doesn't open up any doors in terms of higher education, yes, its a good subject to have, but you will never "need" an economics A-level for any degree course.

Eng Lit - Respected, good at improving your essay writing, and a good subject to take if you are looking to do any sort of essay-based subject at university - especially law.

Chemistry - Probably the most useful science in terms of allowing you to do different science degrees at university. However, I would advise taking this subject with caution. I know people who got D/E grades in it at AS level when they are perfectly academically able and were getting A/B grades in their other subjects. In other words, its hard.

Philosophy - Similar to English lit really. Respected, traditional, and a good essay-based subject.
    Overall, we can't offer you a hell of a lot of advice. You know yourself better than we do, and you know, or at least you think you do, what you are good at and what you enjoy.

My advice would be to pick subjects which you will do well in, will enjoy, and at the same time, make sure you take at least 2 traditional, respected subjects. I don't like placing to much emphasis on respectability when advising people, but it can't be denied that having a couple of well-regarded subjects will go along way.

ReputationRep:
    Do chemistry if you enjoy it
    at least that's what im doing even though it wont take me anywhere career wise
    i really enjoy it
    the same things crop up again and again- if you get the concepts and can apply it- you'll be fine
    it is hard but not impossible

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.