The Student Room Group

Who do you think should be the new prime minister?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Plantagenet Crown
Did we? Who were these king Arthurs?

You should know ...

Arthur son of Geoffrey, so grandson of Heny II, the first plantagenet.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arthur_I,_Duke_of_Brittany
He should have been next in line after Richard, but unc John took the throne instead. Geoffrey was next in line before John, but he'd died so it should have gone to Arthur.

The other was Henry VIII elder brother
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arthur,_Prince_of_Wales
Remember his death as swimming in the Thames, but this may not be 100%.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by mqb2766
You should know ...

Arthur son of Geoffrey, so grandson of Heny II, the first plantagenet.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arthur_I,_Duke_of_Brittany
He should have been next in line after Richard, but unc John took the throne instead. Geoffrey was next in line before John, but he'd died so it should have gone to Arthur.

The other was Henry VIII elder brother
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arthur,_Prince_of_Wales
Remember his death as swimming in the Thames, but this may not be 100%.

Neither of these Arthurs were kings though so we haven’t had even one King Arthur yet.

And Arthur Tudor died from sweating sickness or some such illness.
(edited 1 year ago)
Neither of these Arthurs were kings though so we haven’t had even one King Arthur yet.

And Arthur Tudor died from sweating sickness or some such illness.

Of course, I said we nearly had two Arthurs. Both were next in line, but didn't make it to the throne.
I remember his death as catching something like sweating from swimming in the Thames, but this may not be correct.
(edited 1 year ago)
Sadly they're both loons. I would vote for Rishi though- at least he has some accomplishments on his belt, more than Truss (who I frankly can't name a single good thing about.) Not that I can vote- with that old blonde rat removed the party themselves decide it, which is pretty silly given that the average 100-IQ bread-buffer on the street likely voted for the Cons on the fact that BoJo was at the helm.
Original post by mqb2766
Of course, I said we nearly had two Arthurs. Both were next in line, but didn't make it to the throne.
I remember his death as catching something like sweating from swimming in the Thames, but this may not be correct.

I’ve never heard that he caught it from the Thames. He fell ill in Ludlow which is near Wales, I don’t think the Thames runs there.
I’ve never heard that he caught it from the Thames. He fell ill in Ludlow which is near Wales, I don’t think the Thames runs there.

Again, I said thats what I remembered. The post was meant as a throwaway comment.
Did we? Who were these king Arthurs?

Arthur Sixpence

so-called Arthur King
Original post by Callicious
I would vote for Rishi though- at least he has some accomplishments on his belt, more than Truss (who I frankly can't name a single good thing about.)

One question- are they the type of accomplishments that you want to reward with your vote, even under extreme sufferance?

I'm probably most tolerant of the 'anyone but Sunak' school of thought.
Hopefully this will be the one election where I don't have to cast any Conservative Party proxy votes. :crossedf:
Out of the two candidates, I think Liz Truss should be the leader. I believe she will appeal more to working class voters as she wants to create more job opportunities and wants to continue to level up more deprived areas. Sunak's ideas about how to help the economy are more long term but voters want action now. Those videos showing him saying things like he doesn't have any working class friends and he wants to take funds from deprived areas and give it to more wealthy ones shed a negative light on his character. He stabbed Boris Johnson in the back and he also got fined for breaking covid lockdown rules. Truss wants to use British energy resources in the short term so that we don't have to rely on imported gas and she wants to help Ukraine fight Russia and give more money to defence spending. People are worried about the cost of living crisis and their energy bills and Truss seems to me to have the best idea out of the two candidates about how to solve it.
Original post by Powersymphonia
Out of the two candidates, I think Liz Truss should be the leader.
Sunak's ideas about how to help the economy are more long term but voters want action now.
He stabbed Boris Johnson in the back and he also got fined for breaking covid lockdown rules.
Truss wants to use British energy resources in the short term so that we don't have to rely on imported gas and she wants to help Ukraine fight Russia and give more money to defence spending.
People are worried about the cost of living crisis and their energy bills and Truss seems to me to have the best idea out of the two candidates about how to solve it.

PRSOM.
Original post by mqb2766
Again, I said thats what I remembered. The post was meant as a throwaway comment.

And that’s fine, I was just replying to it lol.
They’re both as bad as each other but the other will probably be kept high up in office and try to steal the power from the other. And it’ll likely end in a catastrophe and a general election with Labour winning a landslide. I would have preferred for Penny Mordant to remain in the contest so there would be someone less corrupt than Sunak and Truss. Ideally, I would like Labour MP Zara Sultana to be PM, we need a bit more radical change to help lessen the disparities in the cost of living crisis.
Everyday, I realise that the state of the world is becoming more dystopian with this whole situation.
Community Team - Please amend the title to UK, we should not be encouraging seperatism.

Neither appeals to me but I narrowly prefer Sunak, largely because Truss's definition of fiscal dicipline is similar to that of Gordon Brown's. Which is ironic since Sunak is the most left wing chancellor since Brown.
Original post by Rakas21
Community Team - Please amend the title to UK, we should not be encouraging seperatism.

But No 10 Downing Street and Chequers are both in England, as are both the candidates for PM constituencies.
No separatism, treachery or treason intended. :tongue:
Original post by londonmyst
But No 10 Downing Street and Chequers are both in England, as are both the candidates for PM constituencies.
No separatism, treachery or treason intended. :tongue:

England has no unitary parliament, we are electing the next Prime Minister of the United Kingdom, not England.
Reply 35
Original post by Yellow Daisy
title

The same one as the rest of the UK.

I'm against having a Prime Minister in England.
Who should be our next PM, Ms Truss or Mr Sunak? Why?
I've edited the thread title (through gritted teeth perhaps! :lol: ) for clarity.
Reply 38
Difficult question!

Can I vote for Margaret Thatcher?!
Reply 39
Original post by Vorsm
Difficult question!

Can I vote for Margaret Thatcher?!

No she is dead.

Doesn't your ballot paper tell you who you can vote for?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending