The Student Room Group
Original post by hs1233
Hi,
I’m a year 11 student going into year 12 ,and want to apply for work experience. I’m not sure if a virtual work experience would be valued or is the equivalent of a in-person work experience .

Any work experience is valuable whether it's virtual or in-person. I'd say apply for anything that interests you, and hopefully you'll end up doing work experience that really helps you :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by hyacinth77
Any work experience is valuable whether it's virtual or in-person. I'd say apply for anything that interests you, and hopefully you'll end up doing work experience that really helps you :smile:

Thanks for the reply.
Greatly Appreciated
Original post by hs1233
Hi,
I’m a year 11 student going into year 12 ,and want to apply for work experience. I’m not sure if a virtual work experience would be valued or is the equivalent of a in-person work experience .

Hey @hs1233 :smile: Yes I agree with @hyacinth77! Absolutely anything like this will be valuable. Any sort of working environment will be beneficial for developing your team working and communication skills, and building responsibility and time management etc - all valuable additions to your CV! Lots of employers will have a hybrid style workplace going forward so if you have virtual experience then that is just as valuable as in-person these days. I'd also say that virtual work experience will prove your independence and initiative to any future employer - it shows you can proactively work on your own from home. You'll be able to gain lots of relevant skills from that sort of work.

Do you know what sort of job you're looking for yet? :biggrin:

Good luck!
- Caitlin :h:
Official University of Strathclyde Rep
Reply 4
Thanks for the reply
I’m looking for work experience in scientific research.

I’m currently doing virtual experience with the civil aviation authorities and virtual medicine programs online.
I just wanna ensure and confirm that I’ve chosen the right A levels and explored various fields that I may like.
Original post by University of Strathclyde
Hey @hs1233 :smile: Yes I agree with @hyacinth77! Absolutely anything like this will be valuable. Any sort of working environment will be beneficial for developing your team working and communication skills, and building responsibility and time management etc - all valuable additions to your CV! Lots of employers will have a hybrid style workplace going forward so if you have virtual experience then that is just as valuable as in-person these days. I'd also say that virtual work experience will prove your independence and initiative to any future employer - it shows you can proactively work on your own from home. You'll be able to gain lots of relevant skills from that sort of work.

Do you know what sort of job you're looking for yet? :biggrin:

Good luck!
Original post by hs1233
Thanks for the reply
I’m looking for work experience in scientific research.

I’m currently doing virtual experience with the civil aviation authorities and virtual medicine programs online.
I just wanna ensure and confirm that I’ve chosen the right A levels and explored various fields that I may like.

That all sounds great @hs1233 :biggrin: Super interesting!! You'll definitely get lots of great experience from those programmes and it's such a good way to try out different working enviornments and industries.

Best of luck to you with those and your A Levels!! :five:
Reply 6
Original post by University of Strathclyde
That all sounds great @hs1233 :biggrin: Super interesting!! You'll definitely get lots of great experience from those programmes and it's such a good way to try out different working enviornments and industries.

Best of luck to you with those and your A Levels!! :five:

Thank you
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by hs1233
Hi,

Heya! I would say apply to any that interest you regardless of whether it's virtual or not. Virtual work experience or courses used to be frowned upon before COVID but now they are very popular and also highly regarded :smile:. I did both versions and both have their own benefits. Virtual is very flexible and you don't have to go anywhere while in-person is more engaging. As mentioned earlier, a lot of jobs have hybrid style work now so both experiences are beneficial and any type of experience will look amazing on your CV or personal statement!

Hope this helps!
Milena G.
UCL PFE
Study Mind
Hi just wondering what type of skills can you gain from virtual work experience that you can talk to employers about
I did a week of virtual work experience in July 2020. I was very grateful for the opportunity given most students had their programmes cancelled.

We completed a project involving app protyping, which allowed me to show a passion for computer science when I applied for university. I also learnt about how to carry out customer research, developing my problem solving skills.

You can also gain connections for LinkedIn through any work experience. In addition, both types of work experience can be put on a uni personal statement or CV.

If you do get an opportunity to do in person work experience, it would give you a better insight into the company and your field of work. But if your only opportunity is virtual, you can still gain valuable skills and insights from it.

Please message if you have any questions 😀
Hi Miranda,
Which university did you get into for computer science? What was your A-LEVELS subjects and results if you don't mind me asking. I am year 11 student and interested in CS. But confused about taking FM in A-Levels as i have heard many LONDON universities required it.
thank you

Latest