Is it a good combination of Alevels for Classics??

Watch this thread
沈旧闻
Badges: 3
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Hi guys I'm currently thinking about applying for Classics at Oxford. And I'm an international student. My current A level combination is: mathematics, economics, history of art and psychology.

Do you think it is a good combination or do you think it's soft for Oxford?? I don't have the chance to study Latin or Greek. I have thought about Classics-related subjects such as History or Englit but since I'm not English speaker and for me the highest possible grade in these two subjects is A. I thought two A* in psychology and History of art look better. What do you think? Is Psychology a good choice?
I know language Alevel is highly valued, I didn't take any but I took B2 Italian test. Would that be helpful to my application to Classics, Just as an language A level? I just want to make sure this combination of A level+b2 Italian is not SOFT...Thank you(cry out loud)
artful_lounger
Badges: 21
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 week ago
They're fine, the main thing to be aware of is that particularly at Oxford I gather there is a lot of literary analysis, for which English lit A-level could be helpful for. However history of art involves a lot of similar analysis (just applied to objects rather than texts) so that should be a reasonable substitution if you aren't keen on English lit

The only thing I would note is you are taking four subjects - which is absolutely not required, nor is it even beneficial. You don't get "bonus points" for doing additional A-levels when applying to UK unis! I'd definitely recommend aiming to drop one in year 12 if so (and just keep the three you are strongest in).

Otherwise it's a fine combination. Psychology might actually be interesting as there is a burgeoning interest in applying cognitive science approaches to studying classics - see here: https://cognitiveclassics.blogs.sas.ac.uk/

Language learning aptitude is helpful, but as an international student who studied English as a second language I think that some aptitude will be assumed already, so I think don't worry too much about that!
沈旧闻
Badges: 3
Rep:
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
(Original post by artful_lounger)
They're fine, the main thing to be aware of is that particularly at Oxford I gather there is a lot of literary analysis, for which English lit A-level could be helpful for. However history of art involves a lot of similar analysis (just applied to objects rather than texts) so that should be a reasonable substitution if you aren't keen on English lit

The only thing I would note is you are taking four subjects - which is absolutely not required, nor is it even beneficial. You don't get "bonus points" for doing additional A-levels when applying to UK unis! I'd definitely recommend aiming to drop one in year 12 if so (and just keep the three you are strongest in).

Otherwise it's a fine combination. Psychology might actually be interesting as there is a burgeoning interest in applying cognitive science approaches to studying classics - see here: https://cognitiveclassics.blogs.sas.ac.uk/

Language learning aptitude is helpful, but as an international student who studied English as a second language I think that some aptitude will be assumed already, so I think don't worry too much about that!
Thank you for replying, I'll be in year 12 in Sep and I've already done my Econ exams so I'm actually doing 3 now, since psychology is known as soft so I think I might have to choose another a one like Maths lol (In China most people take 4(and usually maths, further, chem and physics,which is
Last edited by 沈旧闻; 1 week ago
McGinger
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 6 days ago
Look at both Classics and Classical Studies : example https://www.bristol.ac.uk/classics/study/undergraduate/
artful_lounger
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 6 days ago
(Original post by 沈旧闻)
Thank you for replying, I'll be in year 12 in Sep and I've already done my Econ exams so I'm actually doing 3 now, since psychology is known as soft so I think I might have to choose another a one like Maths lol (In China most people take 4(and usually maths, further, chem and physics,which is
Psychology isn't a "soft" subject, and unis don't care about that in the UK (except LSE, for whom psychology is a preferred subject anyway, and they don't offer classics).
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

How confident are you that you'll achieve the grades you need to get into your firm uni?

I think I've exceeded the grades for my university offer (14)
17.5%
I think I've met the grades for my university offer (21)
26.25%
I think I've missed the grades for my university offer (41)
51.25%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (4)
5%

Watched Threads