Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    economic history and economics at LSE need AAB. preferred 3 a levels.
    4a's 6bs gcse
    D in Gen Stud and D in Eng lang AS ( I wasn't gonna carry them on)
    doing third year coll predicted AAB. entry requirements say A in maths Alevel which i'm predicted and A in maths GCSE which i've got. its virtually impossible i know but does anyone have any past experiences like some one with low grades for a top uni getting in? A little glimmer of hope? Anyone??? Thanks in advance

ReputationRep:
    *sprinkles glimmer of hope*

ReputationRep:
    You've got nothing to lose! At the end of the day, yes uni's are looking for the best academic results, but they're also looking for other things. Make sure your PS makes you stand out, and that you get fantastic references, and you'll stand a good chance. Remember LSE is very competitive but it's definitely worth trying =]

ReputationRep:
    they don't take 3rd years do they....?I could be wrong. Although I can only assume that if places like manchester dont, that somewhere like LSE wouldnt either. Who knows.

Other than that, why not. They are less strict with GCSEs for that course

ReputationRep:
    ~0% If there's not a fifth university you'd be happy going to, you might as well put it down and hope for a miracle.

ReputationRep:
    could someone explain to me why it is soo unlikely that he will at least get an interview? I mean academically he is by far not the worst (I am of course aware that LSE is competetive so lots of people apply), his predicted grades seem to fit and maybe his ps is pretty good as well. (ignore the ps for now, I'm only interested in the academic part)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crshbr)
    could someone explain to me why it is soo unlikely that he will at least get an interview? I mean academically he is by far not the worst (I am of course aware that LSE is competetive so lots of people apply), his predicted grades seem to fit and maybe his ps is pretty good as well. (ignore the ps for now, I'm only interested in the academic part)
    because of the top unis policies on 3rd years

ReputationRep:
    I'm going to sound harsh, but I will be honest. In my opinion I don't think you will get an interview. The odds just don't add up. Most applicants to study Economics have a string of A*'s at GCSE and at least 3-4 A grades predicted at A level. Your grades are good, but they just don't match this, especially as you have studied for 3 years at college rather than two.

You are better off applying for another good university, with a slightly less competitive economics course.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hashimali)
    economic history and economics at LSE need AAB. preferred 3 a levels.
    4a's 6bs gcse
    D in Gen Stud and D in Eng lang AS ( I wasn't gonna carry them on)
    doing third year coll predicted AAB. entry requirements say A in maths Alevel which i'm predicted and A in maths GCSE which i've got. its virtually impossible i know but does anyone have any past experiences like some one with low grades for a top uni getting in? A little glimmer of hope? Anyone??? Thanks in advance
    \
    If you are interested in economics then you should check out my sig threads. Which course exactly is it you are considering at LSE?
    e.g. LIV3 BSc Economics with Economic History looks impossible:
    http://www.lse.ac.uk/collections/und.../economics.htm

http://www.lse.ac.uk/resources/under...story/V300.htm

Economics History is 116:17
    BSc Economic History and Economics 138:23
    BSc Economic History with Economics 49:3
    http://www.lse.ac.uk/collections/und...ic_history.htm

What subjects are you taking at A-level?

ReputationRep:
    hey,
    well if you want to go there THEN GO FOR IT!
    Birmingham was my top choice for law because i loved the campus etc so i put it down and they say AAA and im only predicted ABB .....i got an offer 8 days after i sent my ucas off and the offer is AAA....and im not the smartest person haha GOOD LUCK

ReputationRep:
    Go for it.
    My AS grades were quite terrible and I was applying for vet med.
    Got an offer for AAA and got AABB in the end and they still let me in to do it and vet med is one of the most competitive things you can do.
    May as well give it a try.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 12, 2008
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.