The Student Room Group
Medicine at Swansea University
Swansea University
Visit website

No social media to meet other students? - Swansea University

As title says, I don't really use social media - I have a Snapchat from year 8 (yikes!) but nothing else.

I've been getting advice from a few places and they've all said join group chats on Facebook for the university ... but I don't have Facebook. Would it be weird to just... not join any chats and just show up in September? Or should I make social media just incase?

I'm going to Swansea University (hopefully!), so I don't actually know if there /will/ be chats, or if people just meet their new accomodation mates on the day?

Any advice is welcomed - I'm just really nervous lol
Always trust your gut instinct and listen to what your common sense is telling you. :smile:
If you want to check out the facebook chats or groups for unis that you have applied to, feel free to make a facebook account that is anonymous or uses an alias.

You will mostly meet other students during freshers activities, in classes and in student accomodation if you are living there.
Plenty of opportunities to make friends.
Particularly when you have an active social life, go to nightlife venues and attend several student societies.

I've never had Facebook or Snapchat nor a smartphone my entire uni life (9 years).
Never will.
Good luck at uni!
Medicine at Swansea University
Swansea University
Visit website
Original post by Anonymous
As title says, I don't really use social media - I have a Snapchat from year 8 (yikes!) but nothing else.

I've been getting advice from a few places and they've all said join group chats on Facebook for the university ... but I don't have Facebook. Would it be weird to just... not join any chats and just show up in September? Or should I make social media just incase?

I'm going to Swansea University (hopefully!), so I don't actually know if there /will/ be chats, or if people just meet their new accomodation mates on the day?

Facebook & instagram will help but are not nessesary, the group chats are often created by crap marketing companies posing as a student to build a group then flog tickets to unofficial events anyway. You’ll be fine waiting till you arrive but id still try and have ways like insta or whatsapp so to chat to people you meet during freshers week.
I didn't join any group chats before I started university and only joined my year group’s WhatsApp group for practical purposes (course-related announcements).

Socially, you’ll find your people regardless of whether you join group chats. And the chances are, unless you’re an extrovert or enjoy using social media, you’re unlikely to gain much from it even if you did join any pre-uni chats.
(edited 1 year ago)

Hiya,
I'm also going to Swansea this year and haven't been able to see how i contact new students either! Maybe it's just me haha

Hi there,

I also do not use social media (do not have facebook, snapchat, instagram etc.) and have managed to make some amazing friends so please don't be nervous!
Lots of people recommend FB groups and while they do work for some, I know I would have been too nervous to message anyone or join groups. So if you are the same then please don't stress as it is not necessary! When I moved into halls only 2/3 from halls were actually in any groups from what I could remember, most didn't really care or know they existed! If you are the sort of person to message and say hi, introduce yourself in the groups etc. then I would say give it a go, if not then don't :smile:
I would actually say the most useful account to have from my experiences is probably snapchat as you can create groups for group projects for when you have to work with people/create group for halls in first year (so you're doing better then me!) Otherwise you would have to use whatsapp or text which from my experiences can be a bit awkward when asking peoplefor their numbers.
Ultimately do what you want to do! The best way to meet new people is to turn up to events (which you can get info for by lurking without an account) and talk to people face to face - you don't need a phone for that!
If you have anymore questions let me know.

Best wishes,
Eloise (Lancaster University Student Ambassador)
Reply 6
In my opinion, using facebook, instagram and whatsapp (obvs whatsapp isnt really social media) would likely help you meet people and get involved socially.

Hey!

I absolutely don’t think just showing up in September would be weird. There are plenty of people who don’t join the Facebook group chats and personally, I couldn’t really tell the difference between who had and who hadn’t. Especially since the face-to-face vibes and dynamic is really what determines your friends on your course, even if you were fairly in contact before the course began in September.

In terms of accommodation, there usually are chats and most people will have began speaking to each other this way but again, I don’t think it’s weird not to. It’s a personal choice to not have social media and absolutely not an insane one. Just introduce yourself when you arrive and make an effort to get to know one another and I’m sure you’ll be fine and make plenty of friends!

Estelle
Second Year Psychology Student
University of Huddersfield

Hey,

If you don’t want to make any social media, that is fine! Do whatever you feel comfortable with 😊 I am personally having a social media detox right now!

If you want to see the group chats, maybe talk to some other students, then you could make an account but don’t use it other than for access to the group chats! I did this with Facebook! You can make your account super secure in the settings too, if that is of any reassurance 😊

Do whatever you feel comfortable with and don’t be pressured to make any social media! You do not have to!!

I hope this helps 😊
Sara

A FACEbook account and/or twitter or instagram would really help with orientating your self with what is going on encamps and with society's I'd join Facebook first just for the group chats so people kind of know who you are and can say hi. It's down to you but ultmitly but for uni it can be quite helpful.

Hi there,
I've gotten by on just snapchat fine. It seems to be the platform people use most to casually chat to each other so its great for making friends. It feels like people aren't as bothered as they used to be about following each other's socials. A lot of it is fake at the end of the day so if you don't have it its probably for the best! A lot of people will probably envy you for not having it! Hope this helps and don't worry you'll do great I'm sure!
-Grace
Hey there,

Swansea Uni have a forum here: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=178 where there are other people talking about going this year and you could post here to meet a few people before you go or you could just read what other people are saying about going this year.

You can also ask an official rep from Swansea too.

Exciting stuff, going to Uni is scary but remember everyone is in the same boat as you.

Good luck :smile:
(edited 1 year ago)
Interaction online and offline is completely different. You should be fine.

Hi,

From my experience, I honestly think that you don't need to join group chats. Yes, they are a useful way of making familiar faces and chatting to people on your course or accommodation perhaps, however personally some of the people I spoke to on group chats I never actually spoke to much when I arrived at uni! And lots of people that I'm friends with at uni I hadn't spoke to previously on a group chat. You will still definitely meet and get to know people when you arrive! I guess some people just find it useful joining the group chats because it helps make them less nervous for actually moving.

I think just do whatever feels right for you and what you are most comfortable with!

Hope this helps a bit,
Abby, University of Chichester, First Year Student Ambassador Student Rep

Quick Reply

Latest