The Student Room Group

Have I self-plagiarised my PS?

I've put it through 8 or so different plagiarism checkers - looking back this was pretty stupid. I didn't put it through turnitin though.

I've heard horror-stories of them coming up with 100% plagiarism after doing this, so could it be the same for me? I've put it back through every plagiarism checker and it still shows up at 0%, so am I in the clear?

I haven't actually plagiarised in any way btw, I'm just paranoid.
Original post by AnotherStudent!
I've put it through 8 or so different plagiarism checkers - looking back this was pretty stupid. I didn't put it through turnitin though.

I've heard horror-stories of them coming up with 100% plagiarism after doing this, so could it be the same for me? I've put it back through every plagiarism checker and it still shows up at 0%, so am I in the clear?

I haven't actually plagiarised in any way btw, I'm just paranoid.

You put it through 8 plagiarism checkers, regretted doing so, and then put it through every plagiarism checker again? Why?
Original post by 5hyl33n
You put it through 8 plagiarism checkers, regretted doing so, and then put it through every plagiarism checker again? Why?

My thinking was that if it was stored then it's stored anyway so I might as well check. Maybe not the brightest idea though
My thinking was that if it was stored then it's stored anyway so I might as well check. Maybe not the brightest idea though

Since you’ve used so many plagiarism checkers, it’s hard to say. We don’t know how legitimate those plagiarism checkers are and whether they have saved a copy of your work. It’s best to rewrite your statement.

Tagging in @Admit-One to confirm.
Original post by 5hyl33n
Since you’ve used so many plagiarism checkers, it’s hard to say. We don’t know how legitimate those plagiarism checkers are and whether they have saved a copy of your work. It’s best to rewrite your statement.

Tagging in @Admit-One to confirm.

After having a look, each one that I used claimed that they didn't store my statement. Would you still recommend re-writing?
After having a look, each one that I used claimed that they didn't store my statement. Would you still recommend re-writing?

They 'claimed'. Unless you can prove it, I think it would be wise to rewrite it. :smile:
Original post by 5hyl33n
They 'claimed'. Unless you can prove it, I think it would be wise to rewrite it. :smile:

Thanks. I will rewrite it. For all it's frustrating at least it's only the start of August so I've got plenty of time.

Is there any plagiarism checking sites you'd recommend(I'll stick to just using one this time haha)?
Thanks. I will rewrite it. For all it's frustrating at least it's only the start of August so I've got plenty of time.

Is there any plagiarism checking sites you'd recommend(I'll stick to just using one this time haha)?

Why do you need a plagiarism checker? I applied for medicine twice and never checked my PS as I knew it was all my own work

No, just write it yourself and you won't have plagiarised.
Original post by artful_lounger
No, just write it yourself and you won't have plagiarised.

Personally think it's wise to be on the safe-side, to be honest.

Don't bother, honestly. Plagiarism checkers don't do anything but cause you stress you don't need (at best). Unless you've gone out of your way to copy statements you found online or from your friends, then you've got nothing to worry about. You're not going to have accidentally copied someone else's statement word-for-word.
Personally think it's wise to be on the safe-side, to be honest.

I've successfully applied to uni several times over the years and never plagiarism checked my own work because I have the basic sensibility to write my own words :smile:

Yes, you've got plenty of time. Good luck. :smile:

Don't use a plagiarism site at all! Just ask yourself one question: have I copied from anywhere? If the answer is no, then you are fine.
Original post by artful_lounger
I've successfully applied to uni several times over the years and never plagiarism checked my own work because I have the basic sensibility to write my own words :smile:

That's great. Still don't think it's unreasonable to want to be safe :smile:
That's great. Still don't think it's unreasonable to want to be safe :smile:

But that's the thing, it's less safe to use them.

Quick Reply

Latest