Did a job interview, still haven’t heard anything! What do I do?

Watch this thread
fightorflight66
Badges: 13
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 3 days ago
I applied for a position as a Probation Service Officer in my local area. I had to do a written assessment, I passed that stage and they wanted me to do an interview. I did the interview on Friday the 29th of July. They told me that I would hear back on Monday the 1st of August or Tuesday the 2nd via a phone call OR if it was a ‘no’ then I would likely hear through the Justice Jobs website. I’ve kept checking it, and I haven’t had any updates. I know it’s a governmental agency so I figured it would probably take longer. But it’s been a week since my interview. I sent an email on Thursday morning. But I haven’t had a response. What should I do now? Thank you!
DataVenia
Badges: 20
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 days ago
(Original post by fightorflight66)
What should I do now?
Prepare for bad news, unfortunately.

Generally speaking, employers are quick to get back to candidates they want and slow to get back to candidates they don't (assuming they do so at all).

This won't always be the case (especially for slow-moving bureaucratic organisations) - and I hope it isn't in this case. However, other than sending the chasing email you've sent, there's nothing more you can sensibly do.
Aadilkharl123
Badges: 17
Rep:
Report 3 days ago
Honestly start praying...
There's still a chance you might!

Zarek
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 3 days ago
Recruitment in large organisations is typically massively inefficient, a week after your interview is nothing, so this situation could mean anything. Having said this it’s well past the deadline you were given so it’s reasonable to chase up. Give the email a few more days and if you get no response try a phone call
fightorflight66
Rep:
(Original post by DataVenia)
Prepare for bad news, unfortunately.

Generally speaking, employers are quick to get back to candidates they want and slow to get back to candidates they don't (assuming they do so at all).

This won't always be the case (especially for slow-moving bureaucratic organisations) - and I hope it isn't in this case. However, other than sending the chasing email you've sent, there's nothing more you can sensibly do.
I already prepared for bad news really, because I was the youngest candidate. I have applied for other jobs, and every time I’ve been rejected I’ve been told straight away (on the same day in most cases). So I’m guessing it’s just because of who the job is with this time.
fightorflight66
Rep:
(Original post by Zarek)
Recruitment in large organisations is typically massively inefficient, a week after your interview is nothing, so this situation could mean anything. Having said this it’s well past the deadline you were given so it’s reasonable to chase up. Give the email a few more days and if you get no response try a phone call
Thank you. I will give it until next week and then try calling.
(Original post by Aadilkharl123)
Honestly start praying...
There's still a chance you might!

Thank you! 😄
elliemxxx
Badges: 7
Rep:
Report 1 day ago
Civil Service advise all candidates at the same time, it’s uploaded into a system and then an email sent.

Anyone telling you to prepare for bad news is incorrect if they are basing that purely on you not hearing yet.
fightorflight66
Rep:
Report Thread starter 1 day ago
(Original post by elliemxxx)
Civil Service advise all candidates at the same time, it’s uploaded into a system and then an email sent.

Anyone telling you to prepare for bad news is incorrect if they are basing that purely on you not hearing yet.
That’s interesting! If that’s true, I don’t know why they told me I would hear via phone call.
Emma:-)
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 1 day ago
I applied for a position as a Probation Service Officer in my local area. I had to do a written assessment, I passed that stage and they wanted me to do an interview. I did the interview on Friday the 29th of July. They told me that I would hear back on Monday the 1st of August or Tuesday the 2nd via a phone call OR if it was a ‘no’ then I would likely hear through the Justice Jobs website. I’ve kept checking it, and I haven’t had any updates. I know it’s a governmental agency so I figured it would probably take longer. But it’s been a week since my interview. I sent an email on Thursday morning. But I haven’t had a response. What should I do now? Thank you!
There's still a chance. But prepared for the possibility of bad news. Employers can be slow, especially government organisations.
I'd keep looking around for other jobs, just in case you don't get that one.
fightorflight66
Rep:
(Original post by Emma:-))
There's still a chance. But prepared for the possibility of bad news. Employers can be slow, especially government organisations.
I'd keep looking around for other jobs, just in case you don't get that one.
Yeah, I am prepared for the possibility of bad news as I still haven’t heard. I expected a delay as there’s been a delay of about a week for every step of the process. I’m still looking for other jobs, just in case. There just aren’t many jobs around here.
DataVenia
Rep:
Report 1 day ago
(Original post by elliemxxx)
You may we'll be right, but you'll note that the OP has already told us that:
They told me that I would hear back on Monday the 1st of August or Tuesday the 2nd via a phone call OR if it was a ‘no’ then I would likely hear through the Justice Jobs website.
Now, they did use the word "likely" with regards to the website (which seems an odd way to send a rejection anyway), but the people who interviewed OP don't seem to think an email will be involved.

I guess we'll all find out when OP does.
fightorflight66
Rep:
Now, they did use the word "likely" with regards to the website (which seems an odd way to send a rejection anyway), but the people who interviewed OP don't seem to think an email will be involved.

I guess we'll all find out when OP does.
She did say phone call, she said a phone call on Monday and Tuesday… now it’s the Monday AFTER I was supposed to have heard so I’m not sure what to believe.
Sabertooth
Rep:
Report 1 day ago
You may be choice number 2 or 3. They offer the job to their favorite candidate and have to wait and see if s/he accepts or whether they should move onto second favorite. So I wouldn't automatically think you haven't got the job.
fightorflight66
Rep:
(Original post by Sabertooth)
You may be choice number 2 or 3. They offer the job to their favorite candidate and have to wait and see if s/he accepts or whether they should move onto second favorite. So I wouldn't automatically think you haven't got the job.
There were 4 vacancies available. So I’m not sure I’ll even be in the ranking if that’s the case.
Bang Outta Order
Rep:
Report 1 day ago
To answer your question "what do I do?"

Nothing. You don't do anything. Because there's nothing you can do.
fightorflight66
Rep:
(Original post by Bang Outta Order)
To answer your question "what do I do?"

Nothing. You don't do anything. Because there's nothing you can do.
I was just wondering if anyone thinks I should email again or call them this time. That’s what I meant.
fightorflight66
Rep:
Report Thread starter 1 hour ago
I didn’t get the job… just to update you. Apparently they were looking for specific answers related to the Success Profiles and I didn’t score highly enough on my answers to the questions as I didn’t know I had to relate my answers to that.
DataVenia
Rep:
Report 47 minutes ago
I didn’t get the job… just to update you. Apparently they were looking for specific answers related to the Success Profiles and I didn’t score highly enough on my answers to the questions as I didn’t know I had to relate my answers to that.
Sorry to hear that.

It's good that they've given you specific feedback. My advice would be to take this as an opportunity to research what answers would have been better, and perhaps allowed you to secure the job. That way, you'll be in a better position next time.
fightorflight66
Rep:
Report Thread starter 45 minutes ago
Sorry to hear that.

It's good that they've given you specific feedback. My advice would be to take this as an opportunity to research what answers would have been better, and perhaps allowed you to secure the job. That way, you'll be in a better position next time.
Yeah, I just don’t understand why they would interview me (they knew I didn’t have any experience in Probation). How am I supposed to know that I had to use the Success Profiles… if I haven’t done that work before?
DataVenia
Rep:
Report 34 minutes ago
Yeah, I just don’t understand why they would interview me (they knew I didn’t have any experience in Probation). How am I supposed to know that I had to use the Success Profiles… if I haven’t done that work before?
Take a look at this document about Success Profiles and the Civil Service. It's not specific to the Probation Service.

Also, I'm assume you're familiar with https://www.traintobeaprobationofficer.com/, which might give you insights for any future application to the Probation Service?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

How are you feeling about your SQA results?

They're better than I expected (12)
42.86%
They're what I expected (9)
32.14%
They're worse than what I expected (7)
25%

Watched Threads