Parents charging me too much?

Watch this thread
Biscuit2092
Badges: 1
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 6 days ago
Hi guys!
Just some quick advice?

I’ve only just graduated and from September my starting salary will be £1500 per month, my parents have immediately said from September I should be paying 500 a month rent with wifi and my dogs insurance on top of that too bringing it to about 565 a month. This would be fine but our rent is 750 a month and I currently share a tiny room! I’m also barely home due to work, I just come here to shower, eat, sleep and get changed! So I don’t take up too much electric or gas at all.

I know there are so many more costs than just rent when it comes to having a house but it just seems extreme to be paying over half of the rent when I’m never here and also share a room!

I don’t know, I don’t want to come across as a brat or anything, I’ve worked since I was 16, I’ve paid for everything of mine myself, I’ve paid for every single one of my phones since I was 13, I’ve always been really independent with money and rarely relied on them (never have since I turned 16) so just feels like a bit of a kick in the teeth, especially seeing as I also need to now save for a car and save to move out myself!

(Their defending point to me sharing a room with my sister is that if I pay more rent we could move to a bigger house with more rooms….but then I won’t be able to move out ever!)

Oh and on top of this, when I’ve said I’d just rather move out and rent they’ve told me I shouldn’t do that as renting is dead money and I should save to buy my own house…but isn’t this dead money too? Surely it’s better to rent my own house for a bit extra, giving me my own space and privacy.
Last edited by Biscuit2092; 6 days ago
Powersymphonia
Badges: 19
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 6 days ago
£500 is absolutely unfair when the rent is £750. If you're going to have to pay that much to stay at home you might as well move out and rent a flat. If you're wanting an option with bills included in the rent then consider sharing a house with other working professionals. At least then you would have a room to yourself. At the very most the bills should be split 3 ways between you and your parents. All families have their own ways of splitting bills but most people I know have parents who don't ask for a lot towards the bills because they want to support their children to save to get on the housing ladder.
londonmyst
Rep:
Report 6 days ago
Yes, I think that your parents are being very greedy charging you £500 a month of your £1500 paycheck to share a bedroom with your sister.
Particularly as their monthly rent is only £750.
Look into alternative options like sharing a house with a few friends or coworkers.

Paying for your own food and your dogs insurance is fine.
Maybe paying the bill for one service that you alone use or use the most- if your parents are experiencing serious financial problems.

But I don't agree with any parents charging adult children to rent a bedroom or asking for 'keep'.
Nor treating them like an investment, cashpoint machine or acting like b&b owners instead of family members.
I chose to leave rather than pay to be treated like that.

I'll never go back nor speak to any of my 3 living ancestors again.
Surnia
Rep:
Report 6 days ago
So what do you think you should be paying? Have you done a budget, including rent, utilities, food etc, to show your parents as a negotiation?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

How confident are you that you'll achieve the grades you need to get into your firm uni?

I think I've exceeded the grades for my university offer (13)
17.57%
I think I've met the grades for my university offer (19)
25.68%
I think I've missed the grades for my university offer (38)
51.35%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (4)
5.41%

Watched Threads