Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Right , on their website it says
    If your household income is under £16,785 per year, you're entitled to an income bursary of £680. If you're income is between £16,785 and £34,615 you'll receive an income bursary of £420.
    1. I was just wondering if i will definitely get a bursary?
    2. Could they just reject me ?
    3. They say if you get three A's you get a higher bursary, does it matter if one a-level is non-academic?
    4. Some of my friends who went to Hallam did not get any bursary even if they had a really low income. Is there a diffrence between top universitys bursaries compared to newer ones? Anything todo with funding?
    Any Sheffield students out there who got a bursary? How much did you get?

ReputationRep:
    Don't know about the income thing as I didn't qualify for that but I get £250 per year for the A grade I got. This is only for some courses though. Not much but, hey, every little helps!
    If you use the bursary calculator on the uni site it should be as accurate as the information you put in.

http://www.sheffield.ac.uk/bursaries/calculator.html

You have to make sure that you give permission for the uni to talk to your local authority about finances by ticking the box on the finance form, otherwise you won't get the bursary.

ReputationRep:
    Missed the AAA grade (annoyingly) but I get £680 based on household income, which I think is the highest you can get based on parental income. They won't reject you as long as you tick the box to share information and your household income is below that amount

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, you'll get a bursary, assuming your finances meet the requirements and you check the relevant box on the ucas form.

Dear god, just recalculated to see what would have happened if I'd got AAA at A Level, instead of AAB. Apparently I would have been receiving £1600 more! GAH!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dionysus)
    Yeah, you'll get a bursary, assuming your finances meet the requirements and you check the relevant box on the ucas form.

Dear god, just recalculated to see what would have happened if I'd got AAA at A Level, instead of AAB. Apparently I would have been receiving £1600 more! GAH!
    Righttt , I can get in with BBB easy cause my A's at AS level were so high. But i might just put a bit more effort and pressure on myself to get AAA. . I was just going to cruise with BBB.

ReputationRep:
    I got £1,200 for the year, as my mum earns £4,000 a year and I got AAB at A Level.
    As far as I know everyone in my flat with household incomes under £30,000 got a bursary so I don't think you have anything to worry about.
    If anything the calculator tends to estimate a little low!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mollymustard)
    I got £1,200 for the year, as my mum earns £4,000 a year and I got AAB at A Level.
    As far as I know everyone in my flat with household incomes under £30,000 got a bursary so I don't think you have anything to worry about.
    You've got an extra thousand from somewhere. The maximum for income alone is £680, which I get. You only get extra money for grades if they are three As, so you've got a thousand more for something else.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mollymustard)
    Anywho , whats Sheffield Uni like? I might be going there and it looks like i will get a bursary!

ReputationRep:
    Sheffield sounds rubbish, at surrey they give you 2 grand bursary is if house hold imcome is 10k and then on a sliding scale to 0 if your house hold income is 30k.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fxytimi)
    Sheffield sounds rubbish, at surrey they give you 2 grand bursary is if house hold imcome is 10k and then on a sliding scale to 0 if your house hold income is 30k.
    What's surrey? Is it a clothing brand?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jack Sparrow)
    What's surrey? Is it a clothing brand?
    Only the best uni

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dionysus)
    You've got an extra thousand from somewhere. The maximum for income alone is £680, which I get. You only get extra money for grades if they are three As, so you've got a thousand more for something else.
    Thats what they said, but I got nearly £500 for prior achievement. I'm not sure why but it was on the form...
    Its also happened to other people on my course.

ReputationRep:
    Let's all go there for some free money then :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cheapaschips1000)
    Let's all go there for some free money then :rolleyes:

well i shall be laughing when your all broke, and i have my 2k in my bank.

ReputationRep:
    well i shall be laughing when your all broke, and i have my 2k in my bank.
    But you'd be in Surrey. I'd rather be somewhere I'm happy with no cash than somewhere I wouldn't with loads. It annoys me that some people think life's all about money and I'm an accounting student.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cheapaschips1000)
    But you'd be in Surrey. I'd rather be somewhere I'm happy with no cash than somewhere I wouldn't with loads. It annoys me that some people think life's all about money and I'm an accounting student.

I'm happy at surrey, the money is just a bonus, if someone offers me 2 grand i can't complain./

ReputationRep:
    i got £2,305 for the year, and £1,625 of that was for my A level grades... I like sheffield haha

but i have a question for any second years.... you know that the bursaries are based on income and prior achievement (there's the outreach thing but we'll ignore that for conversations sake). When the bursary is calculated in the second year, is the prior achievement section based on how well you do in first? Or do they just ignore that section for the 2nd and 3rd part of your degree? i know is sounds like a bit of a dull question but I've always wondered so any knowledge is appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    They still base it on your A-levels grades even in 2nd and 3rd year.
    Which isn't exactly logical but good news for you!

ReputationRep:
    well thats good news... though slightly odd as my sister who's in 2nd year pschology didn't get anything for prior achievement this year (i dont actually know if she did last year) and she got AAB at A level. I don't think she thought much about it but i'm gonna get her to enquire because i think she should be entitled to somthing.

thanks for the good news anyway

ReputationRep:
    i didnt even know about bursaries! does any1 know which year they will measure for the income if were applying for 2009 entry, will it be 07-08? or 08-09? because my mum just changed jobs and now doesnt have hardly any money! should i tell them about that?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.