The Student Room Group

I hate my body

I'm a guy (if that matters), and I'm clearly overweight considering BMI and stuffs like that. I've tried loads of exercises and methods to lose weight over the past two years but none of them seemed to be effective. My eating habits are not so much of a problem as my parents have changed the things they cook and I could eat a lot less than I did before. I started going to gyms last year and it did work, but something huge happened and it was forced to stop for a few months and now I'm pretty sure I'm back at the beginning. Nothing seems to work again. Every day I wake up to see this huge piece of fat and I don't know what I can do. I hate myself, for being fat and for being helpless.
When it comes to weight loss, it's always 80% diet and 20% exercise. It is very important to observe what you're eating and how much of it. For example, a 100g single cheeseburger will have more calories compared to 100g of Salmon. Even though something like a cheeseburger would appear much smaller it actually has far greater energy density compared to most things.

For a guy like you, you would need to consume 2500 calories per day, so as long as you remain below this threshold you will lose weight, unless you have some kind of illness or genetic disorder that prevents you from losing weight, but barely anyone has that. If you eat less and exercise more, you will lose weight. However, make sure that you do not go far below the recommended amount. For example, if your body needs 2500 calories per day, then your target should be around 1800-2000 calories per day, but not much less. Anything less than that and it could be unhealthy. If you're very overweight then you could have sagging skin which looks awful after fat loss and can only be removed by surgery and your metabolism could really suffer, so in order to prevent these things try to lose fat slowly rather than going crazy and only consuming 500-1000 calories per day.

I also understand that not seeing the results can be frustrating, but weight loss is a long process and you will only see noticeable results after 2-3 months at minimum. My advice is to really watch what you're eating and start calculating your calorie intakes to make sure that you're always below that 2500 calories but not too much so that you can prevent health problems.

Quick Reply

Latest