Turn on thread page Beta

do i go back to the doctors or... ? watch

Not sure what to do. In September, I was diagnosed with panic disorder as I've been experiencing recurring panic attacks since june, averaging on 1 a week (sometimes more, sometimes less) it's quite debilitating as I'm constantly worrying about anything and everything I get scared I'll 'go mad' and have a panic attack in front of everyone at college or make myself look insane or embaress myself and so on...

The Dr was lovely and really understanding, however, she printed me off lots of information to read through, told me to regulate my breathing and recommened some 'self-help' books i should buy to help try and change the way I think.
    Now although this was all really nice and she is right about the breathing, when I'm caught in the moment of sheer panic - it's the last thing on my mind and doesn't really help in practise. Due to me being worried about embaresing myself and loosing control - I dont have a job, nor do I want one anytime soon, therefore, I can't afford to buy these books. I can't ask my dad to borrow the money for them as he doesn't believe in mental illness, he thinks I should have been diagnosed as melodramatic

Should I go back to the Dr and explain all of this ? I've recently started having bouts of depression also but I'm too worryed to go back because she'll just say.. well have you read any of the books I told you to? and she'll be right. Or shall I go to another Dr ? Going in the first place was difficult as it sounds all so trivial and that I'm just mad! So seeing another will be difficult but maybe I should

I'm really sorry for the long post, thanks.

ReputationRep:
    Do you not live near a library?

ReputationRep:
    Join the club =)
    Why not volunteer some of your time; I'm sure there's something that'll suit you, and it'll add to your CV.
    See a different doctor this time, and maybe ask for some Cognitive Behavioral Therapy to change the way you think.
    ... Says the girl on antidepressants.

Seriously, see a different doctor, hope you get well soon <3
    And feel to PM me, I'm pretty used to panic attacks!

I'm way to embaressed to be taking out books like that... 'control your panic', 'relax, guide to self help' etc!

(Original post by Anonymous)
    Not sure what to do. In September, I was diagnosed with panic disorder as I've been experiencing recurring panic attacks since june, averaging on 1 a week (sometimes more, sometimes less) it's quite debilitating as I'm constantly worrying about anything and everything I get scared I'll 'go mad' and have a panic attack in front of everyone at college or make myself look insane or embaress myself and so on...

The Dr was lovely and really understanding, however, she printed me off lots of information to read through, told me to regulate my breathing and recommened some 'self-help' books i should buy to help try and change the way I think.
    Now although this was all really nice and she is right about the breathing, when I'm caught in the moment of sheer panic - it's the last thing on my mind and doesn't really help in practise. Due to me being worried about embaresing myself and loosing control - I dont have a job, nor do I want one anytime soon, therefore, I can't afford to buy these books. I can't ask my dad to borrow the money for them as he doesn't believe in mental illness, he thinks I should have been diagnosed as melodramatic

Should I go back to the Dr and explain all of this ? I've recently started having bouts of depression also but I'm too worryed to go back because she'll just say.. well have you read any of the books I told you to? and she'll be right. Or shall I go to another Dr ? Going in the first place was difficult as it sounds all so trivial and that I'm just mad! So seeing another will be difficult but maybe I should

I'm really sorry for the long post, thanks.
    Go back to your GP - they can actually prescribe those books for you. Sounds odd, but its true!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I'm way to embaressed to be taking out books like that... 'control your panic', 'relax, guide to self help' etc!
    I'm sure librarians don't bat an eyelid at what people are taking out - I've taken self-help books out from the library before and they barely even look at the books, just open the book and stamp them and whatever. And even if they did think "oh... 'control your panic'? lol" i'm sure they would never make it known that that's what they're thinking. Plus they probably see that sort of thing so many times!
    If I were you I'd try and get something out of the library; or go to Borders, find the book there and sit and read it for a bit, it's better than nothing. Or look for the books on Amazon as loads of their books allow you to look inside and read some pages from them. Or just look for some self help material on the internet
    I'd go back to the doctor, as she already knows you and knows what you're going through - and then you can explain that your condition is stopping you from getting a job and your dad isn't supportive, and I'm sure she'd be sympathetic, not telling you off for not reading the books she suggested.
    *hugs*

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 11, 2008
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.