The Student Room Group

Bmi of 16.2 how can I gain weight?

So I’m 17 girl and have a BMI of 16.2. I’m 155cm and weigh 39kg. I am very small and I always have been which is why I have never really been concerned about it. But recently realised how much I don’t like my body and wish I could fill out clothes better. I really struggle to gain weight as I think it’s just in my genes but if anyone could give me any advice on how to gain weight it would be appreciated :smile:
Reply 1
Eat more
Reply 2
See your GP.
Have you managed to get an appointment with a GP to check there are no underlying issues?

To gain weight you will need to significantly increase your calorie intake.

Choose snacks that are high calorie (eg cheese or a spoon of peanut butter). Try and schedule an additional meal at the end of the day.

Add extra calories by drinking smoothies or full fat milk. Add olive oil to your vegetables.

It could be helpful to keep a food diary to show the doctor.
Original post by mebcat
So I’m 17 girl and have a BMI of 16.2. I’m 155cm and weigh 39kg. I am very small and I always have been which is why I have never really been concerned about it. But recently realised how much I don’t like my body and wish I could fill out clothes better. I really struggle to gain weight as I think it’s just in my genes but if anyone could give me any advice on how to gain weight it would be appreciated :smile:

If you’ve always been very slim it’s definitely much harder to gain weight but not impossible. Start by calculating your TDEE, there’s loads of calculators online, that gives you a rough estimate of how many calories you need to maintain your weight, however if you know you struggle with weight gain I’d add a couple hundred onto that just to be safe. Then, if you were aiming for 0.5-2lbweight gain a week, add an extra 250-1000 calories a day onto your TDEE, apps like my fitness pal are great for making sure you hit your calories. Keep up with that for a couple months, if you’re still not making any progress then a trip to the GP could be a good idea to rule anything out.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by mebcat

- Try eating 5 smaller meals throughout the day, as this is easier to do than 3 big ones.
- Have the full-fat option, like whole milk.
- Make protein shakes high in calories (an easy one is oats, milk, peanut butter, a banana), as it’s easier to drink calories.
- Have snacks that are high in calories, whether storebought or homemade.
- Consume unsaturated fats and protein (meal ideas here).
- Exercise. Generally keeping active can build lean muscle, or you can do weightlifting. (Yes, as a girl.)

If these attempts don’t work, see a GP and they’ll give you shakes and things to help.

Quick Reply

Latest