The Student Room Group

Failing in IGCSEs

I have already prepared myself for seeing a number lower than 5 on my result card, well not really but yea. If I truly fail in anything, what would be my next step? If I give the retest exam for that subject in late 2022, how will I continue with Alevels? Would I have to wait till next year to start Alevels because it would be too late to start it this year?
Are you in school or are you a private candidate?
I am assuming you are an international school student, hence doing the IGCSEs and you're outside the UK. If so, and you are fearing the worst in your IGCSEs, then you would actually be better off applying to International Foundation Year (IFY) programmes that are offered by some UK universities. You contact the universities and apply directly (not via UCAS). You can also check with the British Council in the country that you are in for information about IFY programmes.
Original post by imstressed123
I have already prepared myself for seeing a number lower than 5 on my result card, well not really but yea. If I truly fail in anything, what would be my next step? If I give the retest exam for that subject in late 2022, how will I continue with Alevels? Would I have to wait till next year to start Alevels because it would be too late to start it this year?

It's hard to advise on your question with so little detail of your situation.
If you are studying independently you can choose to do whatever you want to do.
If you are in school and fail one IGCSE subject that should not prevent you starting A levels unless it means you don't have enough/the right pass grades to be accepted for the A levels you want to study. If someone doesn't pass maths or English language at GCSE/IGCSE they usually retake it in November or the following summer alongside their A levels. If they fail something else that isn't relevant to future plans they will usually forget about it.
If you don't achieve the grades to start A level you will usually have to retake as necessary and wait until the following school year to start A levels. As an alternative, in a UK school you might choose BTEC level 3 qualifications instead of A levels that you could probably start alongside a few GCSE resits.
Original post by Nazifa Nawer
Are you in school or are you a private candidate?

school
Original post by BubblesBB
I am assuming you are an international school student, hence doing the IGCSEs and you're outside the UK. If so, and you are fearing the worst in your IGCSEs, then you would actually be better off applying to International Foundation Year (IFY) programmes that are offered by some UK universities. You contact the universities and apply directly (not via UCAS). You can also check with the British Council in the country that you are in for information about IFY programmes.

lots of schools in the UK do igcses, I believe they are mostly seen in private schools
Original post by lesgo21
lots of schools in the UK do igcses, I believe they are mostly seen in private schools

Oh I see. Thanks for pointing it out. I didn’t know IGCSEs were offered locally in England.
school

Then you can retake your IGCSEs later this year and then start your A levels immediately. You can sit for AS in October 2023
I passed in all :smile:
I passed in all :smile:

Congrats! Time to celebrate :woo:
tysm!! @bea_murray0 :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest