The Student Room Group

Urgent Advice

Currently retaking year 12 and just finished the academic year and I **** you not I have just been kicked out for not “jelling” with the current year group. You literally cannot make this up, I have no idea what to do. My situation is already **** as it is and now this. I have contacted some colleges/sixth forms to enrol but what are the chances I will get in since I’m already half way through my A-levels. Will I be able to transfer? Please I need all the advice I can get
Were you unhappy with your A level choices? Do you think a fresh start will be good at a school/college which offers different choices?
Reply 2
Original post by SpiderCrab
Were you unhappy with your A level choices? Do you think a fresh start will be good at a school/college which offers different choices?

Yep I was extremely unhappy with my choices and wanted to change my subjects but I was too far in the year to change it so I had to wait until the year ended to enrol into a different school and change my subjects then. But now they’re kicking me out for the most dumbest reason and I literally cannot afford to retake ANOTHER year. I need to transfer to another school/college whilst still being able to continue with year 13 :/
Are you confident you could start in year 13 & then finish the year with good grades in topics that will allow you to move onto what you want to do next?
Reply 4
Original post by SpiderCrab
Are you confident you could start in year 13 & then finish the year with good grades in topics that will allow you to move onto what you want to do next?

I’m predicted BBB but at this point I’ll be happy with C’s but I’m pretty sure I can finish my A-levels with passing grades at least. I just hope the schools I’m applying to can understand that.
Original post by AndrewS204
Currently retaking year 12 and just finished the academic year and I **** you not I have just been kicked out for not “jelling” with the current year group. You literally cannot make this up, I have no idea what to do. My situation is already **** as it is and now this. I have contacted some colleges/sixth forms to enrol but what are the chances I will get in since I’m already half way through my A-levels. Will I be able to transfer? Please I need all the advice I can get

They cannot ask you to leave for that - it's illegal.
Original post by Muttley79

I don't think it is because when you enrol you are signing a contract with the school. I don't know what OP's contract says but it would be something along the lines of not complying with school policy allows them to kick you from the school. Is there anything that you could've done that made them think you aren't getting on with the others? You must be able to appeal their decision. Try going through all the teachers you can to stay there but if you don't want to stay there consider your options. Are you planning to go to uni? What are you planning to do in the future is there a specific field and is there any way for you to get in through apprentiencship? Also, consider your age, there is no rush to go to uni but there are some colleges that accept 18+ on their a-level courses. Also As levels are a thing I'm pretty sure.
Reply 7
Original post by Muttley79

I’m 18 so legally I’m not required to stay in school. I’m guessing that’s why they kicked me out without a valid reason.
Reply 8
Original post by BooBooBeanz
I don't think it is because when you enrol you are signing a contract with the school. I don't know what OP's contract says but it would be something along the lines of not complying with school policy allows them to kick you from the school. Is there anything that you could've done that made them think you aren't getting on with the others? You must be able to appeal their decision. Try going through all the teachers you can to stay there but if you don't want to stay there consider your options. Are you planning to go to uni? What are you planning to do in the future is there a specific field and is there any way for you to get in through apprentiencship? Also, consider your age, there is no rush to go to uni but there are some colleges that accept 18+ on their a-level courses. Also As levels are a thing I'm pretty sure.

The ones who decided to kick me out are the heads of sixth form so I can’t really dispute their decision. It’s annoying asf because imagine having to retake a year whilst everyone is already finished with school, that **** demotivates you massively. I just wanted to get on with my stuff and complete my a levels hence why I was very distant with everyone and quiet. I wish they would put themselves in my shoes and not just decide to come to the conclusion that the school is not right for me. At the moment I just want to get my A-levels and get into an apprenticeship but in my current situation I don’t know if any colleges or schools will let me join halfway into A-levels.
Original post by AndrewS204
The ones who decided to kick me out are the heads of sixth form so I can’t really dispute their decision. It’s annoying asf because imagine having to retake a year whilst everyone is already finished with school, that **** demotivates you massively. I just wanted to get on with my stuff and complete my a levels hence why I was very distant with everyone and quiet. I wish they would put themselves in my shoes and not just decide to come to the conclusion that the school is not right for me. At the moment I just want to get my A-levels and get into an apprenticeship but in my current situation I don’t know if any colleges or schools will let me join halfway into A-levels.

Hmm since you said you wanna do an apprenticeship is it possible for you to enrol in to a college purely for apprenticeships (when I was doing one others were surprised that I did it independently rather than with a college). I would also still giving the heads a talk because you never know they might hear you out. If hadn't wanted to do an apprenticeship I would suggest going straight into work. It's a generally horrible situation and I feel for you because I was de-motivated by teachers as well. There is life after a levels but give yourself time to accept the situation as is so you can start to think of other avenues in case no college accepts you.
Yeah this is just altogether a very sad situation. I already regret retaking a year but I need at least some qualifications. My family are already disappointed in me getting kicked out so the least I can do is finish my A-levels since they want to hold a reputation for themselves. I have already emailed colleges around my area so hopefully they’ll let me enrol but we’ll see what happens from here I guess 🤷*♂️
Original post by BooBooBeanz

It is - if it's for behaviour reasons the OP would have had multiple warnings. They should also have had a BSP [behaviour support plan]. It is diificult to exclude someone these days.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending