The Student Room Group

Unsure about which college to go to

I'm stuck between two colleges (doing alevels) that I'm planning on going to in September so for the sake of this I'll name them 1 and 2:

- Close - 10 min bus
- Made a few friends at the taster day
- Was the first college I really liked since the open day last year
- I like the topics for the English lit course
- Slight dress code

- Only about half of who applied got a place
- Far away - probably a bus and train so not sure what I'd do if there were strikes/ problems
- Psychology course is a different exam board and seems more interesting
- Made less friends at the taster day than 1
- Good reputation/ more known
- No dress code

I really don't know, whichever one I go to I'll feel like I should have chosen the other one, I liked the feel of 1 more but 2 is quite academic so I'm still not sure, if anyone could offer advice that would be helpful :smile:
Original post by caitlinmm
I'm stuck between two colleges (doing alevels) that I'm planning on going to in September so for the sake of this I'll name them 1 and 2:

- Close - 10 min bus
- Slight dress code

- Far away - probably a bus and train so not sure what I'd do if there were strikes/ problems
- No dress code

I really don't know, whichever one I go to I'll feel like I should have chosen the other one, I liked the feel of 1 more but 2 is quite academic so I'm still not sure, if anyone could offer advice that would be helpful :smile:

From someone at university - no one really cares about the reputation of your college/6th form so don't let that sway your decision, the only important thing is the grades and that's only important for applications and stuff.

Just a few things to consider when weighing up your options!

Where can you see yourself being happy? Picture a day in the life of you at that college (that's how I chose my uni haha).

How is the support for you completing your A-levels/ getting the highest grades you are capable of? Do you think the staff seem interesting and supportive? What help do they offer for university/apprenticeship applications (if that's what you plan on doing)?

Do they offer clubs/extracurriculars you like/will be useful in later applications?

Is English Lit or Psychology more important to you in the long run? Will you resent a dress code? Are the friends you made on the taster day definitely going to that college? Will a shorter commute be easier in terms of less time traveling and easier to meet up with people?

In the end it's really up to you, good luck! X

- Close - 10 min bus
- Slight dress code

- No dress code

I'd go for number 1. It's closer, easier to get to, you made friends on the taster day etc. If you like the place and are happier there then you will do better.

- Close - 10 min bus
- Slight dress code

- No dress code

Option #2 is far away, you may hate the travel esp during the colder months.

If the academic profile of option #1 is decent, I would 100% choose it. You have some new friends, it is close to you and there seems to be a good vibe.

- Close - 10 min bus
- Slight dress code

- No dress code

The first one
Reply 5
Original post by Blothian
From someone at university - no one really cares about the reputation of your college/6th form so don't let that sway your decision, the only important thing is the grades and that's only important for applications and stuff.

Just a few things to consider when weighing up your options!

Where can you see yourself being happy? Picture a day in the life of you at that college (that's how I chose my uni haha).

How is the support for you completing your A-levels/ getting the highest grades you are capable of? Do you think the staff seem interesting and supportive? What help do they offer for university/apprenticeship applications (if that's what you plan on doing)?

Do they offer clubs/extracurriculars you like/will be useful in later applications?

Is English Lit or Psychology more important to you in the long run? Will you resent a dress code? Are the friends you made on the taster day definitely going to that college? Will a shorter commute be easier in terms of less time traveling and easier to meet up with people?

In the end it's really up to you, good luck! X

In terms of courses, English Lit is probably more important (at 1) since its related to film which I'm also doing rather than psychology which I chose to see what it was like, and I've been interested in it for quite a while - I wanted to possibly consider psychology but it's not my first choice so I thought even if I don't pursue anything it's good to have some knowledge. Honestly I've not heard much from 2 about support, I think they have an oxbridge support system but I've also seen a few tik toks about it and a few students have said its a lot of pressure, but I think there was a bit more support from 1. Both offer extracurriculars I think, and I don't think the dress code for 1 is too strict (although for some reason no hoodies are allowed lol)
Those points have defo given me something to think about hah thank you :smile:
Number 1

Quick Reply

Latest