The Student Room Group

Work is unsupportive of my mental health

I've been really struggling recently, my anxiety has heightened and I feel severely depressed, and it's taken a toll on my work. I'm a personal trainer, I'm self employed but I also work part time for a gym in order to train my clients there.

Despite being self employed, I'm still they're employee and I expected to have more support for my mental health than I have received.

Firstly, I have been denied sick days when I've felt really awful, but I'm entitled to. Because the manager couldn't find cover, even though its his job to cover if no one else can.

I have also been forced to run busy classes when having a panic attack/breakdown and crying hysterically. The manager refused to cancel them as it would look bad on the gym and he implied that my reason wasn't enough. When they had been cancelled before for staff having injuries or feeling unwell. I was told it would look good if I made the effort despite feeling this way. I was expected to snap out of it and run the classes anyway. It was humiliating, and I didn't want anyone to see me like that. He then lied and told me that I received positive feedback from the classes, which I didn't believe because the members at the time only seemed to care about my wellbeing, asking if I was okay because I clearly wasn't myself and in a fit state to run the class. He did this to encourage me to keep doing the classes.

He asks if there is anything he can do, but everytime I let him know and ask for a change of shifts etc, I just get shot down. I feel like I've not been taken seriously and my mental health isn't a concern for them. It makes me enjoy work even less.

I would go on sick leave, however being self employed, I wouldn't be able to continue to train my clients which is my source of income, and wouldn't get paid.

Any advice?
Have you sought help from your GP? It sounds like you’re having a hard time which needs to be addressed using a long-term approach to help you feel better, especially if you’re not being given the sick days you’re asking for.

Have you considered working at another gym to provide your training classes? Or re-negotiating your contract to work less or different days and times?
Original post by Mesopotamian.
Have you sought help from your GP? It sounds like you’re having a hard time which needs to be addressed using a long-term approach to help you feel better, especially if you’re not being given the sick days you’re asking for.

Have you considered working at another gym to provide your training classes? Or re-negotiating your contract to work less or different days and times?

I am receiving help from my gp. I'm on medication to tackle the issue and a waiting list for therapy. However, since starting the medication I feel worse, I've been on it for 3 weeks.

I have considered working at another gym, however it's a risk, as I may lose clients doing that. I have tried to re-negotiate with work asking for different shift times as I feel later shifts are worse for me. However, they have been no help, saying there is nothing they can do.
sorry, are you a part time employee at the gym ie you are working for the gym? or are you still self employed running your own business during that time at the gym?
Quit
Original post by Genesiss
sorry, are you a part time employee at the gym ie you are working for the gym? or are you still self employed running your own business during that time at the gym?

Yeah, I am self employed, my money comes from clients. However I work for the gym part time to pay for my rent in the gym, which allows me to train clients. So I'm technically and employee for them
Original post by Anonymous
Yeah, I am self employed, my money comes from clients. However I work for the gym part time to pay for my rent in the gym, which allows me to train clients. So I'm technically and employee for them

if you are a part time employee this is how you go about it. i would type it all out for you but just easier to read the link..

https://www.acas.org.uk/supporting-mental-health-workplace

yeah i get it, speaking from experience. frustrating

Quick Reply

Latest