The Student Room Group

Math Sets

Hi there I have received my timetbale for year 10 and it says I am in set 3 for maths but in all other years and year 9 I was one of the top in my class for maths and in all my tests I did good and I got B A A in my report for behaviour engagement and hw. I even asked my teacher before school ended "Do you think I will be in set 1?" she replied saying yes you will be but now I am in set 3. I don't know what to do because I don't want to be learning easy things and want to be set 1, as I deserve it.
(edited 1 year ago)
Being set 3 100% does not mean you'll be learning "easy things". Generally, the only difference between sets at gcse level is the amount of support and the pace you learn at. In my experience, set 1 took an additional course, but ultimately for maths gcse all the sets learnt the same thing. It really is just a matter of different learning styles and needing to work at a different pace. Everyone sits the same exam at the end of the year, so everyone does learn the same course content. Try out being in set 3, see if it suits you better - changing sets isn't the end of the world.

Obviously this all depends on that the sets sit the same course (which is normally the case) but also it could be a timetabling error - stick it out until maybe the end of September and go from there.
Original post by SmartHead12
Hi there I have received my timetbale for year 10 and it says I am in set 3 for maths but in all other years and year 9 I was one of the top in my class for maths and in all my tests I did good and I got B A A in my report for behaviour engagement and hw. I even asked my teacher before school ended "Do you think I will be in set 1?" she replied saying yes you will be but now I am in set 3. I don't know what to do because I don't want to be learning easy things and want to be set 1, as I deserve it.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by charleyk09
Being set 3 100% does not mean you'll be learning "easy things". Generally, the only difference between sets at gcse level is the amount of support and the pace you learn at. In my experience, set 1 took an additional course, but ultimately for maths gcse all the sets learnt the same thing. It really is just a matter of different learning styles and needing to work at a different pace. Everyone sits the same exam at the end of the year, so everyone does learn the same course content. Try out being in set 3, see if it suits you better - changing sets isn't the end of the world.

Obviously this all depends on that the sets sit the same course (which is normally the case) but also it could be a timetabling error - stick it out until maybe the end of September and go from there.

Thank you for the advise. I am still really confused how the school have put me in set 3 when I am good and sometimes I just get confused because I keep thinking about how and why they put me in set 3, I should be set 1 but if they don't think so at least set 2. For my report I got B A A for behaviour engagement and home learning in that order.
(edited 1 year ago)
Thank you for the advise. I am still really confused how the school have put me in set 3 when I am good and sometimes I just get confused because I keep thinking about how and why they put me in set 3, I should be set 1 but if they don't think so at least set 2. For my report I got B A A for behaviour engagement and home learning in that order.
(edited 1 year ago)

Quick Reply

Latest