The Student Room Group

Degree Choices

Hi
I’m an international student currently doing my A Levels in Economics, Sociology and Geography. I’ll probably be predicted A*A*A, but I’m not sure what to study in university. I’ve always wanted to study PPE at Oxford but as Maths is a requirement for most PPE degrees I don’t think I’ll be able to. Out of all my subjects Economics is my favorite so I’d like to study something with some aspects of Economics. I’m not entirely sure what I want to do later on after university but I’m leaning towards something finance related. So I’d like to do a degree which would allow me to keep my options open. I’d be grateful if anyone could suggest any degrees and universities I could apply to.
Most leading universities require Maths A level for Economics as it is highly Mathematical. If you are looking at Oxford look at other subjects that might be less Mathematical. If you are particularly interested in Economics I list below a list of some universities that dont require A level Maths and their Maths requirement. This is for for Economics and some might accept you for PPE without it. The only way is to check requirements.

Economics without A level Maths

Aberystwyth grade 4
Aston grade 5
Bangor grade 4
East Anglia grade 5
Essex grade 5
Hull grade 4
Kent grade 5
Lancaster grade 6
Leicester grade 5
Loughborough grade 6/7
Nottingham grade 7
Queens Belfast grade A
Reading grade 6
Royal Holloway grade 7
Stirling grade 4
Srathclyde grade 6
Surrey grade 7
Sussex grade 6
Swansea grade 5
Reply 2
Original post by swanseajack1
Most leading universities require Maths A level for Economics as it is highly Mathematical. If you are looking at Oxford look at other subjects that might be less Mathematical. If you are particularly interested in Economics I list below a list of some universities that dont require A level Maths and their Maths requirement. This is for for Economics and some might accept you for PPE without it. The only way is to check requirements.

Economics without A level Maths

Aberystwyth grade 4
Aston grade 5
Bangor grade 4
East Anglia grade 5
Essex grade 5
Hull grade 4
Kent grade 5
Lancaster grade 6
Leicester grade 5
Loughborough grade 6/7
Nottingham grade 7
Queens Belfast grade A
Reading grade 6
Royal Holloway grade 7
Stirling grade 4
Srathclyde grade 6
Surrey grade 7
Sussex grade 6
Swansea grade 5

Thanks a lot! I’ll do that
Original post by Ajdissyou
Hi
I’m an international student currently doing my A Levels in Economics, Sociology and Geography. I’ll probably be predicted A*A*A, but I’m not sure what to study in university. I’ve always wanted to study PPE at Oxford but as Maths is a requirement for most PPE degrees I don’t think I’ll be able to. Out of all my subjects Economics is my favorite so I’d like to study something with some aspects of Economics. I’m not entirely sure what I want to do later on after university but I’m leaning towards something finance related. So I’d like to do a degree which would allow me to keep my options open. I’d be grateful if anyone could suggest any degrees and universities I could apply to.

Hi @Ajdissyou

I have had a look on Lancaster’s website and it does appear that there are some PPE and Economics degrees that do not have A Level Maths listed as a requirement on the website.

I’d suggest finding some degree courses that interest you and then checking their entry requirements on UCAS or the unis website. It should list any required subjects along with the grade requirements.

I hope that this helps!

- Tineke
Lancaster Physics Graduate
PPE is offered at many more Unis than just Oxford - Warwick, Sheffleld, Sussex, York, UEA etc etc

And many Economics joint subject degrees will not require A level Maths - examples are two courses at Bath - Politics with Economics at Bath, International Development with Economics.
Original post by Ajdissyou
Hi

Hello,

We offer PPE without a requirement for maths A level. There is a requiremement for a maths GCSE grade 6/B or above, but we don't specify any needed A levels. You can view our PPE course here: https://www.qub.ac.uk/courses/undergraduate/politics-philosophy-economics-ba-lv00/ Have a look at the available modules etc.. to see if it's for you.

Good luck with all your studies!

Thanks,
Team Queen's
Charlotte, MA Conflict Transformation and Social Justice

Quick Reply

Latest