The Student Room Group

Uni of Manchester Materials Science freshers

Hi all,

To those who are going to or thinking about materials science in UOM, I would like to welcome you to our uni. I'm currently a year 2 student at UOM studying materials science. I'm also part of our uni's materials society. If there are any questions, feel free to ask them here.
Hey! I have several questions:

1) What are the reasons that made you choose Manchester over other unis that offer materials science like Sheffield?
2) Is the course strictly academically intensive? Our do you also get to do other stuff like visit places that are relevant to materials science, or idk do materials science related activities (outside of the materials society)
3) Is Mat Sci still mainly based in the Sackville Building or the MECD, and what's it like in both spaces?
4) What do you think about the blended-learning in terms of your course?
5) Are the lecturers good?
6) What are your favourite modules? Are the courses on functional materials and ceramics good?
7) What other facilities/ equipment do you usually work with?
8) Do undergrads get to interact a lot with people from industry or researchers?
Reply 2
Hi,
I chose Manchester because it was one of the top unis that do materials and the uni is located in a massive city so that was a plus. The course itself is tough at times in year 1, especially during the end of the semester but it does have times where you can relax and enjoy life. The uni has a makers' space built in the MECD, which is yet to be opened we should be able to design and make things there, but this is yet to be confirmed. The north campus is now closed and classes are now being relocated, there are some labs that are scheduled at the MECD but other classes are usually taught elsewhere (e.g. Simon building). The MECD has rooms and individual study spaces which you can utilise during times when you don't have a lecture.

In my opinion, blended learning is a pretty good approach because it allows you to understand what will be taught before the lecture and you can plan your day more freely because you can learn at your own pace and time. Lecturers are all pretty amazing and will be willing to answer your questions. My favourite module was microstructure in semester 1 and structure of solids in semester 2. We do have a course that teaches the properties of functional materials, this course is pretty challenging but interesting. We get opportunities to use test materials properties in a supervised setting and do different experiments, using the Izod impactor and tensile testing rig. in terms of interaction with people from the industry, it is down to you to find opportunities but the mat soc is determined to find more opportunities for students to interact with companies and potential researchers.

Hope this answered your questions, but feel free to follow our Instagram page @uommatsoc to be updated with events and you can DM us with more questions :smile:
Original post by ouiouimerci
Hey! I have several questions:

1) What are the reasons that made you choose Manchester over other unis that offer materials science like Sheffield?
2) Is the course strictly academically intensive? Our do you also get to do other stuff like visit places that are relevant to materials science, or idk do materials science related activities (outside of the materials society)
3) Is Mat Sci still mainly based in the Sackville Building or the MECD, and what's it like in both spaces?
4) What do you think about the blended-learning in terms of your course?
5) Are the lecturers good?
6) What are your favourite modules? Are the courses on functional materials and ceramics good?
7) What other facilities/ equipment do you usually work with?
8) Do undergrads get to interact a lot with people from industry or researchers?
Reply 3
Hi, I would like to know what ur predicted grades were in yr 13 and what ur personal statement included please. I really need some inspiration
Thank you :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest