Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Is it possible to change your year of entry (ie deferred entry/nondeferred entry) after your applications has gone into consideration? Maybe by arranging something with the college?

ReputationRep:
    Deferred people may be offered non-deferred placements but it doesn't work the other way around.

As far as I know you can't change your mind once your application is sent.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by frost3dbutts)
    Deferred people may be offered non-deferred placements but it doesn't work the other way around.

As far as I know you can't change your mind once your application is sent.
    Not necessarily, some people get given deferred placements if they have too many good candidates and not enough places. They normally call you up and ask.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mayfly)
    Not necessarily, some people get given deferred placements if they have too many good candidates and not enough places. They normally call you up and ask.
    Really? it gave no indication of that on the website and my teachers never said so.

I was highly discouraged against doing a deferred placement, even though my plans were entirely relevant. The Oxford man at my college said "why are you even applying?", bloody tosser. I cried.

ReputationRep:
    yeah this happens occasionally. call them up if you want to make it happen.

ReputationRep:
    Omd... 'probably not', it would have been GENIUS if you had registered that user/nickname only to reply to this thread. I would have laughed my stomach out through my nose.

ReputationRep:
    ahahahahhahhhahah, true.

In my case, it's changing deferred entry to just starting now. Why? Change of family plans. :/

You think I should try asking merton? Or is it pointless.

ReputationRep:
    it certainly wouldn't hurt

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rrumora)
    ahahahahhahhhahah, true.

In my case, it's changing deferred entry to just starting now. Why? Change of family plans. :/

You think I should try asking merton? Or is it pointless.

It's definitely worth asking. As I'm sure you're aware, the issue with deferred entry is that we have to be sure that you would get a place if you applied the following year i.e. you have to be a particularly strong candidate.

For this reason, at my college we sometimes ask applicants for deferred entry if they would accept a place for immediate entry, and sometimes make offers on that basis.

ReputationRep:
    You don't ask, you don't get.
    However, I know at postgrad level they DEFINITELY don't like it. Wouldn't surprise me if it was the same at undergrad.
    The situation that oxbridge_tutor describes in their latter sentence (candidates being made a deferred offer because there are too many good people) is different to you ringing up and asking because you've changed your mind.

ReputationRep:
    postgrad's completely different though, in that (officially) deferred offers just don't exist...

ReputationRep:
    it used to be on the oaf that you could ask to be considered for 09 entry, 2010 entry, or both with a preference for one or the other. I doubt they'll care much about you changing your mind now.

ReputationRep:
    Ugh, I knew this would come down to "you can't just change your mind".

I want an entry now b/c of financial reasons, not out of a whim.

Thanks for your help, I'll ask my tutor after I've been made an offer, that seems fair. (<- positive thinking!)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rrumora)
    Thanks for your help, I'll ask my tutor after I've been made an offer, that seems fair. (<- positive thinking!)
    I'm sure I've read on more than one occasion that they'll completely refuse to defer your entry if you do it post offer (perhaps excluding exceptional circumstances) because it means someone didn't get a place this year because of you and another won't next year. Other universities tend to be fine with it but not Oxford. I think you should phone them up (and/or UCAS) and defer your entry NOW instead of waiting.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Swayum)
    I think you should phone them up (and/or UCAS) and defer your entry NOW instead of waiting.
    This.

Its likely no skin of their back to change you from a 2009 to a defered application or vice versa now, your application frequently isn't considered competitively (ie against those of other applicants rather than just on its own merits) until after the interview. Moreover you will be making the request of an admissions tutor who won't play any role in your selection, so asking for the switch, no matter the outcome can't possibly hurt.

Changing after an offer has been made, however, IS a major change. They have to consider you against a different set of criteria, and will potentially be sacrificing a slot set aside for you. In the case of changing from deffered to current there may be no actual places available by that stage, no matter how much they like you.

Thats not to say it doesn't happen: I know someone at St. Anne's who got called up and offered a place in the summer due to someone deciding to defer. This is NOT common though, and it possible that the person in that case had justifying circumstances.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Swayum)
    I think you should phone them up (and/or UCAS) and defer your entry NOW instead of waiting.
    :ditto: If they know now that you are going for deferred entry, they can decide whether to offer you a place on that basis, and will have one extra place to offer for this year. If you only tell them later: (1) they may refuse (2) there will be a gap left, unless the subject operates an open offer scheme - even then you won't be popular, as it means the college tutors will have less choice in who they get.

Criteria tend to be a bit tougher than those for standard entry: if you are really good, they'll want you, as "money in the bank" for next year; if they're not so sure, they won't go for it, as they may well get better people in next year's round.

DtS
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    People do occasionally get offered gap year entry when they haven't asked for it. I know personally of this happening for a Russian and Italian guy, and through TSR for a (now 2nd year) Pembroke English student.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Athena)
    People do occasionally get offered gap year entry when they haven't asked for it. I know personally of this happening for a Russian and Italian guy, and through TSR for a (now 2nd year) Pembroke English student.
    :ditto: One of my flatmates was forcibly deferred into my year, for some bizarre reason.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.