The Student Room Group

Student living costs in London vs Oxford

Every time I watch a youtube video going over the pros and cons of going to a London university, the people always say that a con is the cost of living. Surely enough, the accommodation prices are high, and eating out isn't cheap. A lot of my friends are put off by their assumptions about the costs of studying in london, and it's starting to change my mind about applying to unis there. But is london really as expensive as people say? How does studying at Oxford compare to london? (Let's say you are staying in accommodation in your oxford college for all the years of your study)
Original post by DaydreamLagoon
Every time I watch a youtube video going over the pros and cons of going to a London university, the people always say that a con is the cost of living. Surely enough, the accommodation prices are high, and eating out isn't cheap. A lot of my friends are put off by their assumptions about the costs of studying in london, and it's starting to change my mind about applying to unis there. But is london really as expensive as people say? How does studying at Oxford compare to london? (Let's say you are staying in accommodation in your oxford college for all the years of your study)

I'm not sure about Oxford, but I remember I considered applying for universities in London - accommodation was expensive. For example, with universities such as KCL/UCL/LSE, there was no accommodation onsite which meant you had to seek accommodation elsewhere. I was not keen on this as I didn't want to travel around London alone. Accommodation costs were around £200 per week (but this was a studio room).

In terms of eating out, it really does depend on where you go - restaurants are likely to be more expensive than regular take-outs. Fast food shops are cheap (McDonalds, Dixie's, KFC, etc) but you've always got the supermarkets/meal deals etc.

Don't be too put off though - there is always support available from the university, including bursaries/funding, etc. You also get your maintenance loan etc. You'll be fine, just choose wisely.
Original post by studentj03
I'm not sure about Oxford, but I remember I considered applying for universities in London - accommodation was expensive. For example, with universities such as KCL/UCL/LSE, there was no accommodation onsite which meant you had to seek accommodation elsewhere. I was not keen on this as I didn't want to travel around London alone. Accommodation costs were around £200 per week (but this was a studio room).

In terms of eating out, it really does depend on where you go - restaurants are likely to be more expensive than regular take-outs. Fast food shops are cheap (McDonalds, Dixie's, KFC, etc) but you've always got the supermarkets/meal deals etc.

Don't be too put off though - there is always support available from the university, including bursaries/funding, etc. You also get your maintenance loan etc. You'll be fine, just choose wisely.

Thanks yeah, I’ve been told not to worry too much about “financial barriers” when it comes to university especially in London.

About the maintenance loan though, I looked at the government website and I can receive around £10000 for studying in London. That’s nice, but that won’t last for 3 or 4 years of study just looking at the accommodation costs? Is it normal to reapply for the student loan for subsequent years of study?
Original post by DaydreamLagoon
Thanks yeah, I’ve been told not to worry too much about “financial barriers” when it comes to university especially in London.

About the maintenance loan though, I looked at the government website and I can receive around £10000 for studying in London. That’s nice, but that won’t last for 3 or 4 years of study just looking at the accommodation costs? Is it normal to reapply for the student loan for subsequent years of study?

If you will be living away from home and studying in London, the minimum maintenance loan is £6,308 and the maximum £12,667 (2022/23). This is per year. The amount you receive depends on parental income. So if you receive the minimum, parents are expected to top up your funds.

There is a lot of information on student loans on the following website - the video is worth watching:

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/students/student-loans-tuition-fees-changes/

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending