The Student Room Group

should i apply to oxbridge?

I currently am targeted to get an A in maths and economics, a B in further maths and a B in physics. Do you think it would be a possibility to get into oxbridge/ russel groups
Reply 1
Oxbridge are generally gonna be looking for A*A*A for Maths and Physics degrees and A*AA for economics degrees, so likely not. It is certainly possible to get into Russel Group unis though. Cardiff requires AAB/ABB for Maths, Leeds requires AAA or AAB with minimum of grade A in Maths plus Further Maths. So there are certainly other Russel Group universities you can apply to. That said, if you think you can achieve higher than your predicted grades then feel free to apply to Oxbridge, just be aware that purely based off of your predicted grades, they may not make you an offer for an interview.
The Russell Group are a possibility.
Oxbridge are not.
Original post by kajal12
I currently am targeted to get an A in maths and economics, a B in further maths and a B in physics. Do you think it would be a possibility to get into oxbridge/ russel groups

If you are increase your predictions, yes. If not, focus on other unis.

Maybe consider the Oxbridge foundation year, if you meet the requirements.
Original post by kajal12

Heya! Typically Oxbridge unis are looking for at least A*A*A. However, you can still possibly make it to Russell Group universities such as UCL, KCL and etc. There are also clearings and things such as foundation years that could help you get into a Russell Group uni as well :smile: There are other steps to getting the offer but having good grades is just the beginning.

I hope this helps!
Milena G.
UCL PFE
Study Mind
Not worth it brotherman Joe. Even if you have the brains, it’s unlikely you’ll find likeminded people there. I had a conversation with a fella in my Cambridge interview and the moment he understood my socioeconomic status he swiftly stopped speaking and turned to his laptop
Original post by kajal12

If you can increase them to what needed and have the gcse needed then sure. You shouldn’t listen to other do what you want to do. It only one out of your 5 option. You have nothing to loss
Original post by username5327928
Not worth it brotherman Joe. Even if you have the brains, it’s unlikely you’ll find likeminded people there. I had a conversation with a fella in my Cambridge interview and the moment he understood my socioeconomic status he swiftly stopped speaking and turned to his laptop

This is a wrong attitude to have. Just because you spoke to one person does not mean that the Cambridge community is that way. Besides you probably spoke to another applicant not a student or Professor.

Imagine the world we would live in, if we based our perceptions on individual random interactions.
Original post by Wired_1800
This is a wrong attitude to have. Just because you spoke to one person does not mean that the Cambridge community is that way. Besides you probably spoke to another applicant not a student or Professor.

Imagine the world we would live in, if we based our perceptions on individual random interactions.

um that's exactly what everyone does
our perceptions of the world come from our individual experiences. And those experiences are essentially just random interactions of happening to meet a certain person at a certain time
Original post by hapaxlegomena
um that's exactly what everyone does
our perceptions of the world come from our individual experiences. And those experiences are essentially just random interactions of happening to meet a certain person at a certain time

That’s true but it’s a wrong way to live imho. You should have an extensive view before drawing conclusions. The other member might have lost out on a good opportunity to study at Cambridge due to one random experience.
Original post by Wired_1800
That’s true but it’s a wrong way to live imho. You should have an extensive view before drawing conclusions. The other member might have lost out on a good opportunity to study at Cambridge due to one random experience.

people just use negative experiences as excuses for why something's not worthwhile in order to protect their ego from rejection
the earlier poster would always have found something to dislike abt cambridge
If you can get your teachers to predict at least A*AA and write you a good reference, I'd say go for it.
Original post by hapaxlegomena
people just use negative experiences as excuses for why something's not worthwhile in order to protect their ego from rejection
the earlier poster would always have found something to dislike abt cambridge

Again, that’s true. I responded because some anonymous viewers could view the other member’s post and draw their own conclusions from a biased anecdotal experience.
Original post by username5327928

I would hope that 2 months later, the original poster has managed to resolve what they needed to do.
Bumping this thread to post a correct to the information in post #6.

Post #6 says: "Typically Oxbridge unis are looking for at least A*A*A"

This is quite misleading, and factually inaccurate.

Oxford offer AAA for some courses, Cambridge regularly have A*AA offers.
Please always do your own research into the particular course you're looking to study and the entry requirements.

Quick Reply

Latest