The Student Room Group

Oxford Economics and Management - is this a good course?

What are the career prospects?
are there any work experience/internship opportunities?
How does it compare with LSE/Cambridge economics?

any thoughts from any current students or anyone knowledgeable would be helpful.
(edited 1 year ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by user91234

any thoughts from any current students or anyone knowledgeable would be helpful.

Oxford University - Alternative Prospectus - Economics & Management

https://apply.oxfordsu.org/courses/economics-and-management/

Employers directly target Oxford Economics & Management graduates with excellent career opportunities.

LSE is the best at Economics, Cambridge requires A*A*A with both LSE and Cambridge requiring Further Maths.
Reply 2
Original post by thegeek888
Oxford University - Alternative Prospectus - Economics & Management

https://apply.oxfordsu.org/courses/economics-and-management/

Employers directly target Oxford Economics & Management graduates with excellent career opportunities.

LSE is the best at Economics, Cambridge requires A*A*A with both LSE and Cambridge requiring Further Maths.

Thanks a lot. Where did you get the info that 'Employers directly target Oxford Economics & Management graduates with excellent career opportunities.'

I understand that LSE and Cambridge are best in Economics. Where does the Oxford Economics and Management course rank compared to those?

Do you get good internship opportunities? What are the main career options post-graduation?
Thanks a lot. Where did you get the info that 'Employers directly target Oxford Economics & Management graduates with excellent career opportunities.'

I understand that LSE and Cambridge are best in Economics. Where does the Oxford Economics and Management course rank compared to those?

Do you get good internship opportunities? What are the main career options post-graduation?

https://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/courses/course-listing/economics-and-management#content-tab--4

Oxford graduates in Economics and Management are among the most sought after by employers. Their current employers include leading international organisations in traditional activities, as well as new start-up companies in a variety of high-tech fields. Recent graduates have secured positions in banking and finance, consultancy, research, journalism, industry, the Civil Service and teaching as well as a wide range of other sectors.

I would urge you to consider Philosophy, Politics & Economics i.e. PPE, as there are far more places. Only 1 in 5 candidates are interviewed at Oxford University and just 6% are successful with offers being made to them and that always includes either an A* or A grade in A-Level Maths. For PPE, 32% of candidates are interviewed and 11% made offers. Also, PPE only requires AAA grades in 3 A-Levels.

I would recommend Economics at Cambridge, but you'll need A*A*A in Maths, Further Maths and Economics. :frown:

LSE has 16 applications per place, and it is common for A*A*A*A* A-Level candidates to get rejected for BSc Economics at LSE. :frown:

The Oxford degree in Economics & Management offers excellent career prospects, as do LSE and Cambridge, but it is all up to you to arrange your internships in Year 1 and Year 2 or even Year 3. Employers love Oxbridge and LSE graduates. :wink:

Which A-Level subjects are you studying? :s-smilie:
Reply 4
https://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/courses/course-listing/economics-and-management#content-tab--4

Oxford graduates in Economics and Management are among the most sought after by employers. Their current employers include leading international organisations in traditional activities, as well as new start-up companies in a variety of high-tech fields. Recent graduates have secured positions in banking and finance, consultancy, research, journalism, industry, the Civil Service and teaching as well as a wide range of other sectors.

I would urge you to consider Philosophy, Politics & Economics i.e. PPE, as there are far more places. Only 1 in 5 candidates are interviewed at Oxford University and just 6% are successful with offers being made to them and that always includes either an A* or A grade in A-Level Maths. For PPE, 32% of candidates are interviewed and 11% made offers. Also, PPE only requires AAA grades in 3 A-Levels.

I would recommend Economics at Cambridge, but you'll need A*A*A in Maths, Further Maths and Economics. :frown:

LSE has 16 applications per place, and it is common for A*A*A*A* A-Level candidates to get rejected for BSc Economics at LSE. :frown:

The Oxford degree in Economics & Management offers excellent career prospects, as do LSE and Cambridge, but it is all up to you to arrange your internships in Year 1 and Year 2 or even Year 3. Employers love Oxbridge and LSE graduates. :wink:

Which A-Level subjects are you studying? :s-smilie:

Thanks again for a detailed response. Good to see Oxford's official information. Are there also some independent data/research available to show that it is indeed a course in demand from career/employment perspective and is it comparable with LSE/Cambridge pure Econ courses.

I am really not interested in the PPE combination. Hence, that's unfortunately not an option for me.

Purpose of this thread is to understand the career prospects of Oxford E&M and how does it compare with the most elite Economics courses from LSE, Cambridge, UCL etc.
Thanks again for a detailed response. Good to see Oxford's official information. Are there also some independent data/research available to show that it is indeed a course in demand from career/employment perspective and is it comparable with LSE/Cambridge pure Econ courses.

I am really not interested in the PPE combination. Hence, that's unfortunately not an option for me.

Purpose of this thread is to understand the career prospects of Oxford E&M and how does it compare with the most elite Economics courses from LSE, Cambridge, UCL etc.

Oxford E&M has a 6% acceptance rate whilst there are 3 times as many places at Cambridge, LSE, UCL, KCL, Warwick, Durham, Bristol, Manchester etc...
Reply 6
Oxford E&M has a 6% acceptance rate whilst there are 3 times as many places at Cambridge, LSE, UCL, KCL, Warwick, Durham, Bristol, Manchester etc...

Thanks again. I can see that getting in to Oxford E&M is as difficult as some of the other elite universities. I was just wondering if there was some sort of market research available in to the career prospects for E&M in quantitative/qualitative terms.
Nope.

London South Bank would be better
Thanks again. I can see that getting in to Oxford E&M is as difficult as some of the other elite universities. I was just wondering if there was some sort of market research available in to the career prospects for E&M in quantitative/qualitative terms.

Banking and finance, consultancy, research, journalism, industry, the Civil Service and teaching as well as a wide range of other sectors.

https://www.uniadmissions.co.uk/application-guides/economics-degree-career-options/

What are your GCSE grades? Because almost all the applicants to Economics & Management at Oxford have mostly A*/A grades.

Also are you taking Maths, Further Maths, Economics and Physics or History or Chemistry? :s-smilie:

What are your A-Level predicted grades? As you'll need A*A*A* to get a good chance of being shortlisted for interview. :smile:
Reply 10
Original post by Dnsnnssn
Nope.

London South Bank would be better

sorry..what do you mean?
Reply 11
Banking and finance, consultancy, research, journalism, industry, the Civil Service and teaching as well as a wide range of other sectors.

https://www.uniadmissions.co.uk/application-guides/economics-degree-career-options/

It is Oxford's claim. But is there no research available or personal anecdotes on how this course does in terms of career prospects?
Reply 12

https://www.topuniversities.com/student-info/university-news/economics-graduates-are-paid-highest-salaries

This article states that: 5 years after graduation average salaries are as below:
E&M, Oxford: £71,700
LSE: £55,200
Cambridge: £61,000

Not sure how reliable and current this data is. This data is for cohort graduating in 2013 so must be from 2018.
sorry..what do you mean?

It was a joke
https://www.topuniversities.com/student-info/university-news/economics-graduates-are-paid-highest-salaries

This article states that: 5 years after graduation average salaries are as below:

Not sure how reliable and current this data is. This data is for cohort graduating in 2013 so must be from 2018.

But you forget that ICAEW Chartered Accountants & Chartered Tax Advisers' dual pathway programme achieves just as much, if not more. :smile:

So are you applying to Oxford? :s-smilie: Because you need to have A*A*A* predicted to have a strong chance of being short listed for interviews and a high score in the TSA as well.

How many A-Levels are you doing? I know of a Merton College, Oxford University girl who did Maths, Further Maths (self taught), Chemistry, Economics and German and got in with ALL 5A* a few years ago. I think she's now working at Goldman Sachs and doing an MBA at Yale. :smile:

Feel like you're overthinking the outcomes of Oxford E+M vs LSE and Cambridge Econ.

These three unis all have the best careers prospects for econ graduates. It's not like there are some jobs that the Ox one could/couldn't get you that the other two could/couldn't. It's not like if a firm was hypothetically interviewing three people, one from each course that were equal in everyway other way, they would have any reason to pick one over the other.

I'm not sure what you even mean by "what are the career prospects", it obviously depends on what industries you're interested in, but choosing one of these three courses over the others won't open/close any doors that the others wouldn't too. You'll have exactly the same work experience and internship opportunities at Ox that you would at the other two, the only slight difference is that the recruiting process might be easier at LSE simply because you don't really have to travel for interviews.

Your choice between these three courses shouldn't be predicated on career prospects and internship opportunites (as they're all equal), it should be based on your likelihood of getting in (Ox has lower acceptance rate) as well as your relative interest in each of the course's modules as they each have slightly different focuses. The Oxford course has naturally got more of a Econ with management/finance/business blend to it (due to its strong business school), the cambridge course has more of a econ with humanities vibe (fair few classes in econ history, political & social aspects of econ, econ policy, etc), the LSE couse has more of a mathematical economics vibe to it (can take optional classes in stuff like real analysis, advanced probability theory, graph theory, stochastic processes, optimisation, etc).
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 17
Original post by BenRyan99
Feel like you're overthinking the outcomes of Oxford E+M vs LSE and Cambridge Econ.

These three unis all have the best careers prospects for econ graduates. It's not like there are some jobs that the Ox one could/couldn't get you that the other two could/couldn't. It's not like if a firm was hypothetically interviewing three people, one from each course that were equal in everyway other way, they would have any reason to pick one over the other.

I'm not sure what you even mean by "what are the career prospects", it obviously depends on what industries you're interested in, but choosing one of these three courses over the others won't open/close any doors that the others wouldn't too. You'll have exactly the same work experience and internship opportunities at Ox that you would at the other two, the only slight difference is that the recruiting process might be easier at LSE simply because you don't really have to travel for interviews.

Your choice between these three courses shouldn't be predicated on career prospects and internship opportunites (as they're all equal), it should be based on your likelihood of getting in (Ox has lower acceptance rate) as well as your relative interest in each of the course's modules as they each have slightly different focuses. The Oxford course is naturally got more of a Econ with management/finance/business blend to it (due to its strong business school), the cambridge course has more of a econ with humanities vibe (fair few classes in econ history, political & social aspects of econ, econ policy, etc), the LSE couse has more of a mathematical economics vibe to it (can take optional classes in stuff like real analysis, advanced probability theory, graph theory, stochastic processes, optimisation, etc).

Thanks. I am inclined to do E&M since I like the content/modules. Just wanted to see how it compares with the other leading courses and what the career prospects are.
Reply 18
But you forget that ICAEW Chartered Accountants & Chartered Tax Advisers' dual pathway programme achieves just as much, if not more. :smile:

interesting. I have heard that many E&M graduates do CA after graduation. The dual pathway will accelerate that and there is no cost if done as L7 apprenticeship.
Thanks. I am inclined to do E&M since I like the content/modules. Just wanted to see how it compares with the other leading courses and what the career prospects are.

Which A-Levels are you taking? Maths, Further Maths, Economics and? :s-smilie:

Do you have an A*A*A* prediction? :s-smilie:

Quick Reply

Latest