Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey,
    Currently doing my first third year essay, been working on it for about 2 weeks now (2000 words). In the essay guidance lecture they recommended at least 8 references which I have exceeded and with good use. But these references have come from 5 different sources.

So, are 5 different sources enough for a good essay (obviously provided I'm answering the question properly)?

Many thanks
    Dan

:dontknow: . . . .Im a 2nd year and I was told for a good essay, you need about 10-15 references . . . But that is my uni.

ReputationRep:
    Don't worry about the references, I'm talking about the sources.

ReputationRep:
    I'm sure they will be more concerned with the quality and significance of the references etc than the number of sources. 5 sounds fine :yep:

ReputationRep:
    Oh I hope so randomgirl as I've put alot of effort into the essay and feel the references are highly significant to answering the question.

Cheers

ReputationRep:
    Just found out I actually have 7 different sources so even better lol

(Original post by kineticz)
    Don't worry about the references, I'm talking about the sources.
    Sources/references - same kinda thing in my eyes. . . (Although its not . . .lol:rolleyes: )

ReputationRep:
    i am afraid not, there is a chance now that you will generate a low mark, which I hope you dont but I think you will. I am now convinced more than ever that you will produce a low mark. (Although I cant re-iterate enough that this is not my wish).

ReputationRep:
    i am afraid not, there is a chance now that you will generate a low mark, which I hope you dont but I think you will. I am now convinced more than ever that you will produce a low mark. (Although I cant re-iterate enough that this is not my wish).

ReputationRep:
    Based one what dude?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.