The Student Room Group

SQA Appeals 2022 FAQ

SQA Appeals 2022 FAQ

With SQA results day coming up, we hope everyone gets the grades they are hoping for! This thread is about SQA Appeals should you need to use this service.

If you want to have a general chat about results day then there is a chat thread here for everyone to join in!

A guide to the appeals system this year from SQA can be found here: https://www.sqa.org.uk/sqa/files_ccc/SQA-Appeals-2022-guidance-for-learners.pdf

Some FAQs to help get you started:

What is an appeal?

An appeal is where you feel the mark you have been given for your subject does not match your/your school's expectations, so you ask SQA to have another look at the evidence to decide if your grade should be different to what you have been awarded. This consists of 2 parts - firstly a clerical check to check that your whole exam paper was marked, totalled correctly and submitted to SQA correctly, and secondly your alternative evidence is reviewed by SQA markers to decide if there is evidence for a different grade.

Who can submit an appeal?

You can submit an appeal directly to SQA by registering on their website, or you can ask your school, college or training provider to submit an appeal on your behalf. You can only submit an appeal if:

Your exam centre submitted an estimate for the subject you are appealing and this estimate is higher than the grade on your certificate.

You must have submitted all SQA assessments (coursework/exams) and at least one component must have been marked by SQA

Do appeals cost anything?

No, all appeals are free.

Can my grade go down in an appeal?

Your grade can go down, but only if both the clerical check indicates you have achieved a lower grade than your certificate AND your alternative assessment evidence supports a lower grade.

What do I have to do to submit an appeal?

The first step should always be to talk to your teachers about whether your estimate and additional support material would support an appeal. They will be in the best position to advise you of this. Then, if you still wish to appeal (and are eligible) you can either ask your school to submit an appeal (talk to your school about how to do this) or you can register on the SQA website and submit an appeal independently.

Help! My grade caused me to miss an offer for my next steps?

If you want to appeal a grade which has caused you to miss an offer for university, further education, training or a job opportunity then you can submit what is called a priority review. This means the result of your appeal will be back by Monday 5th September. If you are submitting an appeal you should let whoever has given you the offer know you are appealing as soon as possible. If your offer is through UCAS, then universities will usually hold your place until 7th September, assuming you have let them know that you are submitting an appeal. Priority appeals have an earlier deadline however so do be wary of this.

What are the deadlines for an appeal?

There are different deadlines for an appeal depending on how you are submitting the appeal and whether you have an offer waiting on the grade you are appealing.
If you are submitting the appeal independently then the deadline for a priority appeal is 16th August 11:59pm and a non-priority appeal is 30th August 11:59pm.
If you are submitting the appeal through your exam centre then their deadline to submit a priority appeal is 19th August 5pm and a non-priority appeal is 2nd September 5pm however they may have an earlier deadline so be sure to check with them!

Best of luck for results day :goodluck: Have any further questions? Ask below and we will do our best to help!
(edited 1 year ago)
SQA Results day complete :thumbsup:

:bl:
I have 2 questions related to appealing. If you want your paper to be remarked does your grade need to be lower than your estimate or it’s fine if it’s the same. Second, are you able to appeal your schools predicted grade
Original post by Random47736224
I have 2 questions related to appealing. If you want your paper to be remarked does your grade need to be lower than your estimate or it’s fine if it’s the same. Second, are you able to appeal your schools predicted grade

From what I understand (may be best to check with your teacher/exams officer if you are unsure) your estimate must be higher for an appeal to be allowed. I would think your estimate could not be appealed at this point, but again talk to your school to confirm.
Does remaking come under appealing or are they separate?
Does remarking come under appealing or are they the same ?
Original post by Random47736224
Does remaking come under appealing or are they separate?

As far as I can see, SQA aren't doing any remarking this year - only clerical checks where they check that all the questions were marked and the scores added up correctly etc.
Hey. So I got a B in graphics while being predicted an A. My issue is that my UCAS deadline is on October 15th and non-priority appeals results don’t come out until later that month (apparently). What should I do?
Original post by _samantha.smithh
Hey. So I got a B in graphics while being predicted an A. My issue is that my UCAS deadline is on October 15th and non-priority appeals results don’t come out until later that month (apparently). What should I do?
So you are applying to universities for 2023 start? You are either applying to Medicine, Oxbridge or both? Hence the 15th October deadline.

Apply with the grade you gave now. Put the appeal in. If appeal doesn't come back by the time you press submit then have your referee explain this in the UCAS reference.
Original post by 04MR17
So you are applying to universities for 2023 start? You are either applying to Medicine, Oxbridge or both? Hence the 15th October deadline.

Apply with the grade you gave now. Put the appeal in. If appeal doesn't come back by the time you press submit then have your referee explain this in the UCAS reference.

Yeah, applying for oxbridge.
Thank you!! I'll let my referee know once school starts again :smile:
hi, so I got a C in my advance higher maths however I was predicted an A so I appealed. The only thing is I'm hoping to apply to medicine 2023 after taking a gap year, but I saw that the appeals most likely get back at the end of October and the medicine deadline is 15th of October. I don't know whether to wait for grades and hope they get back in time or to do pharmacy. Does anyone have any advice? I also saw that appeals in 2018 were back within 15 working days but Idk if that still stands.
Original post by xstudyugh
hi, so I got a C in my advance higher maths however I was predicted an A so I appealed. The only thing is I'm hoping to apply to medicine 2023 after taking a gap year, but I saw that the appeals most likely get back at the end of October and the medicine deadline is 15th of October. I don't know whether to wait for grades and hope they get back in time or to do pharmacy. Does anyone have any advice? I also saw that appeals in 2018 were back within 15 working days but Idk if that still stands.
You can still apply for Medicine, enter the grades on UCAS that you have achieved and have your referee explain that you have appealed the grades and are awaiting the result :smile:
Original post by 04MR17
You can still apply for Medicine, enter the grades on UCAS that you have achieved and have your referee explain that you have appealed the grades and are awaiting the result :smile:

hello, thank you for your response and I can? Even if the grades I'm appealing for are my advance higher grades? Wouldn't I need my grades before I apply to even be considered?
Original post by xstudyugh
hello, thank you for your response and I can? Even if the grades I'm appealing for are my advance higher grades? Wouldn't I need my grades before I apply to even be considered?
People apply without grades as standard. On UCAS they enter their grade as pending, and on Results day universities offer them a place if they have met their offer conditions. If you already have grades, but are appealing, then you can apply and have your UCAS reference explain that you are awaiting the result of an appeal.

Whether you will be successful or not is unclear, but there is nothing stopping you or anybody else applying. :smile:
this is my exact situation!! I have had to just submit my form and it still has not come back yet with the appeal on october the 30th!
Welp, appeal wasn't successful

Spoiler

https://www.sqa.org.uk/sqa/103187.html

https://www.sqa.org.uk/sqa/files_ccc/appeals-high-level-summary-2022.pdf

33% of appeals at higher were successful. 24% at AH.

My AH appeal was not successful either. I am disappointed, but to be fair I didn't put in the work I should have so can't blame the SQA, but it was worth a go!

Quick Reply

Latest