The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

Is starting full time with open University a good idea

Hi I start in October of 2022 and looking for alumni or those that have moved up in year to answer my question about if doing full time study at the OU is a good idea. I have enough time in the week for the recommended 36 hours but little prior knowledge on my degree. Psychology with counselling. And how difficult is it to accomplish?
I have recently done an Open DipHE. I studied full time meaning that the first year I had two modules and second year I had 3 modules.
2 modules is doable, it’s hard going because at times you can have assignments that are due roughly around the same time so trying to prioritise the workloads and get everything done on time is tough; I asked for quite few extensions. It’s not impossible though. My first two modules were law and I had no prior knowledge of the subject. I passed both modules whilst working full time and raising a family.
If you put your mind to it you can do it for sure, just bare in mind that you’re overall knowledge of the topic might not be as in depth as those students who are solely focused on one module, I averaged scores around 65-70 in the first year.
Second year I took human biology, brain, mind and mental health, and Death, dying and bereavement and averaged score around 55-65.
Finished the course with a grade 3 pass on D,D&B and a grade 2 pass on B,M &MH. Still awaiting human bio results.
Huge tip, be extra paranoid about referencing. My human bio result is being withheld currently due to a plagiarism investigation. Investigation concluded 2 weeks ago and I lost 10 points from a TMA for bad referencing yet I’ve still not had my human bio end result and I’m going to lose my place on my nursing degree if I don’t get the results by the end of this week.

The OU is good overall but their handling of exam results is poor so be super careful.

Best of luck with your studies.
(edited 1 year ago)
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Reply 2
Original post by Tintin647
Hi I start in October of 2022 and looking for alumni or those that have moved up in year to answer my question about if doing full time study at the OU is a good idea. I have enough time in the week for the recommended 36 hours but little prior knowledge on my degree. Psychology with counselling. And how difficult is it to accomplish?

I'd say level 1 full-time is very manageable, as these modules are introductory and the workload is much less than at level 2 and 3. Level 2 would be fine if you don't work full-time, but I wouldn't recommend doing level 3 full-time unless you have a lot of free time. I did the Psychology with Counselling degree without any prior knowledge or experience and found the first modules did a good job of easing me into a new topic.
Original post by Tintin647

Hi. :smile:

It honestly depends on your circumstances. I did my first year full time - found it manageable as I started October 2020 and of course had the 2 lockdowns so was easy to do whilst furloughed and when it was back to normal. Finished my 2nd year full time, found it stressful due to work, etc and thought I’d be ok doing 2nd year full time (obviously not), so for level/stage 3 I’ve switched to part time.

If you’ve got the hours to put in to studying, go for it full time, if you’re able to do half of what you’re able to do, go part time. Good luck :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending