Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kidney thief)
    y fank u very much

so seriously, nothing separates these unis in terms of (law) job prospects? for sum reason, i get the feeling that warwick/notts law degrees are more highly regarded than KCL (not much more though, i expect); which in turn is more higly regarded than Bristol. no idea where i get this idea from though, completely unfounded :P
    Well if you want to go by league tables, Bristol is above KCL :p: So nyah.

But yes, seriously, it really won't affect your job prospects. The quality of your degree is much more important (you'll want a 2:1 or higher to seriously think about being a lawyer). But apparently 1/3 of all barristers studied at polytechnics so... evidently it really doesn't matter as much as people think!

ReputationRep:
    i got a bristol offer of AAB.

can anyone help me decide between: Warwick (AAA); Nottingham (AAA); KCL (AAB-did Gandhi read law here or is this a lie?); and Bristol (AAB)
    Gandhi studied at UCL

ReputationRep:
    i got a bristol offer of AAB.

can anyone help me decide between: Warwick (AAA); Nottingham (AAA); KCL (AAB-did Gandhi read law here or is this a lie?); and Bristol (AAB)

btw, this isnt a "boast post" (just made that up, it rhymes hehe), im in a genuine kerfuffle :confused:

I got an AAB offer too!

And that is so blatently a boast post :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    y fank u very much

so seriously, nothing separates these unis in terms of (law) job prospects? for sum reason, i get the feeling that warwick/notts law degrees are more highly regarded than KCL (not much more though, i expect); which in turn is more higly regarded than Bristol. no idea where i get this idea from though, completely unfounded :P

All four are 'well respected' so your personal preference is going to be a big factor. If anything Warwick is the least well-respected [in Training Contract terms], and the difference between Bristol, Notts and KCL is minimal. I remember seeing a list saying Bristol was in the top 5, but there are numerous such lists so one is often unreliable. Personally, holding offers from Warwick and Notts, I think between them Notts wins everyday. It is much more professionally focused, and Notts graduates are known to find the LPC much easier than other law grads. Bristol is extremely well respected as well though.

Of course, it also depends what city you want. As someone who lives nears Notts I *love* Nottingham, except for the Big Issue sellers- which are starting to be controlled a lot more. It is contrary to Daily Mail and BBC reports- actually a fairly safe place, especially if you stick to decent areas, which is true of all cities. Certainly, with Bristol and KCL on your lists, Notts violence should not be a factor influencing your list! KCL, however, has London- which has benefits and disadvantages. Apparently Warwick is quite isolated, so you might want to consider this.

ReputationRep:
    Apparently, a few years back, Bristol had the highest percentage of law grads going into training contracts out of any other uni. But as I said, this may not be accurate.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Saagar)
    Apparently, a few years back, Bristol had the highest percentage of law grads going into training contracts out of any other uni. But as I said, this may not be accurate.
    Yep this is true... some tutor at Cambridge rather *****ily said 'but obviously... a palpably small number of Bristol graduates enter pupillage'

ReputationRep:
    Does the fact that "a small no. of Bristol grads enter pupillage" reflect the fact that more of them prefer to become solicitors, or that they struggle to find pupillage places?

ReputationRep:
    Does the fact that "a small no. of Bristol grads enter pupillage" reflect the fact that more of them prefer to become solicitors, or that they struggle to find pupillage places?
    it's open to interpretation. I've always felt that the skills needed to be a good barrister are fairly close to those examined at interview, and this is one of the key reasons why Oxbridge cultivates so many barristers. They also benefit greatly from there being so many opportunities to get involved in mooting etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tomcoolinguk)
    it's open to interpretation. I've always felt that the skills needed to be a good barrister are fairly close to those examined at interview, and this is one of the key reasons why Oxbridge cultivates so many barristers. They also benefit greatly from there being so many opportunities to get involved in mooting etc.
    Would you say that getting a degree from a top uni is more important for those wishing to become barristers than those wanting to become solicitor?

ReputationRep:
    Would you say that getting a degree from a top uni is more important for those wishing to become barristers than those wanting to become solicitor?
    Well there is considerable differentiation, but personally I would say yes. Having done w/e with barristers who- by their own admission are 'at the lower end of the profession' it became clear that a degree from a top uni is almost essential. The reason why is that typically each chambers will be offering only between 1-4 jobs, whereas say Clifford Chance will be offering 100+.

Having said that a large number of people from less prestigious unis do achieve success.

In reality, if you want to go to a top chambers you need a first. Now, at Ox/Cam it is between 15-20% firsts for law, but at other top 10-20 unis [except Sheffield, apparently] it is less than 5%. This is the difficulty which must be overcome!

Do you want to become a barrister?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tomcoolinguk)

Do you want to become a barrister?
    I am considering it but the lack of Asians in the bar is really off-putting. I think I'm more likely to become a solicitor now. How about you?

ReputationRep:
    I am considering it but the lack of Asians in the bar is really off-putting. I think I'm more likely to become a solicitor now. How about you?
    I like the idea.. but doubt I have the nerve. I think being a solicitor is more for me.

ReputationRep:
    Just asking, but when you get an offer, does the date it was updated on UCAStrck also appear in orange?

ReputationRep:
    I read that 1/3 of the current bar graduated from former polytechnics! :confused:

ReputationRep:
    Saagar, can I just ask? Doesn't the smaller percentage of asians at the bar just spur you on, make you wanna change it? Seeing as it takes an age to qualify, you might find by the time we're 26 the scene is a lot different. Progression up the legal profession takes time, kinda like the situation with women.

ps I think we may have gone to junior school together.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by annabellewalter)
    Progression up the legal profession takes time, kinda like the situation with women.
    That tends to be more down to social roles women hold as opposed to open prejudice these days however...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dreama)
    That tends to be more down to social roles women hold as opposed to open prejudice these days however...
    and the situation at the bar also tends to reflect historical social trends at that.

ReputationRep:
    Did somebody mention that Bristol typically dispatch their offers every Monday, on a weekly basis? *eyes watch*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Profesh)
    Did somebody mention that Bristol typically dispatch their offers every Monday, on a weekly basis? *eyes watch*

I think someone said they came in batches...and the last one was on a monday. The first batch was the 'top candidates'... which means, dang I'm not a top candidate..pssh they dont know what they're missing

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Profesh)
    Well the first batch of offers were made on the 17/01, and the second batch on the 24/01. They could be making more tomorrow... but UCL have TMK broken their Friday axe weilding sessions last Friday, which would have been the third consecutive Farisay.. so don't get your hopes up because they might not make any offers tomorrow.

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: January 30, 2005

University open days

• Heriot-Watt University
    School of Textiles and Design Undergraduate
    Fri, 16 Nov '18
  • University of Roehampton
    All departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.