The Student Room Group

i'm 18, 5'3 and extremely skinny.. can i have some help?

i've weighed 40-45kg for 3 years now, i'm not getting any taller and i'm extremely skinny. the thing is I eat alot, much more than anyone in my family and they are all taller than me. can anyone suggest how i can grow or gain weight just a little bit before i go off to uni
Original post by Anonymous
i've weighed 40-45kg for 3 years now, i'm not getting any taller and i'm extremely skinny. the thing is I eat alot, much more than anyone in my family and they are all taller than me. can anyone suggest how i can grow or gain weight just a little bit before i go off to uni

You are not eating enough. I suggest that you go on a 4 weeks binge of protein, vegetables and fruits. You will increase your weight.
OMG !!!
I can relate so much to how you feel, I was (and still kinda am) like this...

I'm in my 30's now, but when I was your age I was 39-40kg 5'4. It took me years to gain weight. Things that helped me the most were building a diet plan with a nutritionist and sports.

The most important thing is accepting yourself, you don't have to gain a lot of weight by next month, you have to be on the right course for it and be working on it, accept the fact that you are thin and it is ok, there will be ups and downs and it is ok.
You can wear cloths that sort of hide how skinny you are if people treat you wrong, so you will feel safer at the beginning. It took me ages to feel good in a swimsuit.

Speak to a nutritionist and join a sport club or a gym.

PM me if you want to talk, I'll be glad to help. I'm sure there are some more issues than just your weight that are bothering you.
What is your body fat % and bmi?
What type of body shape or target weight range are you aiming for?

I'm 5'1, 27 years old, weigh under 95lbs and am happy with my weight.
If you want to visibly gain some weight & change your body shape- you can try to increase your portion sizes or add a small dessert course to each meal, consume more sugar and raise your calorie count by at least 600 calories a day for up to 8 weeks .
Or you can start doing weight lifting and 200-600 squats a day to gain more visible muscle.

Hey,

Replying from a dietetics perspective, if you're continuing or have struggled for some time, it's worth consulting with a Dietitian for further advice on how to gain weight safely. A dietitian will assess you holistically and provide tailored advice to support your needs nutritionally. You can either see your GP and ask for a referral or self-refer yourself by contacting the Dietitian department at your local NHS trust or go private. :smile:

Veronica
How are your energy levels? If you feel unwell or are concerned at all see a GP.

Sometimes people eating a 'healthy diet' simply don't consume enough calories to gain weight.

Small changes can help such as moving to full fat milk, add nuts & dried or frozen fruits to cereal, eat salmon or non processed meat a couple of times a day, add olive oil or butter/cheese generously during cooking, eat four meals a day instead of three. Another top tip is to have a couple of spoons of peanut butter a day (of course only if you are not allergic).

It is usually a very slow process to gain weight so be patient.

Height is often governed by factors such as ethnicity, sex, how much you sleep and how much you eat. It’s unlikely you’ll grow much more, given your age.

Weight is a weird one. There could be a multitude of reasons for your weight being virtually constant over the last 3 years. The best people to consult over this are doctors/dieticians, not random strangers on TSR. They can best advise you to make dietary changes, should that be necessary.

In my case, I’m a 5’ 10.5” male aged 18 (nearly 19) who weighs 52 kg. I eat perfectly healthily, I’m only ‘underweight’ because I’m very lazy and do little to no physical exercise and therefore have somewhat less muscle than most people my age.

Quick Reply

Latest