Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I think i have diabetes ( i see the symptoms) but I'm afraid to get it checked out :ninja: I dont think I can take the news if I have it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Denny Crane)
    I think i have diabetes ( i see the symptoms) but I'm afraid to get it checked out :ninja: I dont think I can take the news if I have it.
    Please, please get a test done. The sooner the better as if you are diabetic you very much at risk by letting it go undetected.

ReputationRep:
    When I was a teenager I went out of control for a while (in terms of sugar here!) God, it was so frustrating!? :mad: I was in the 30's for a few days despite trying everything to control it. Eventually I said right, I am just not going to eat anything at all til my sugars drop. So I kept giving double insulin that was hardly working and after 3 days I got down to 6. Uhh that was so stressful!

I diagnosed myself when I was 11 by reading one of those packets of flower seeds from the Diabetic Association :p: I told my younger brother (as you do) and he laughed at me so I shut up about it after that til I got so sick I was admitted. I was so sensitive, I couldn't take anyone laughing at me!

ReputationRep:
    Hey!

I've got diabetes too, although I always clarify to ppl that it isn't type 2 diabetes, as some ask me: "So, you have eaten a lot sugar, then?" LOL.

I got it when I was 17 (!). I guess I was pretty lucky though after all, I heard from my former doctor that he nows treat a 5 month baby for diabetes, imagine that!

So, do your diabetes care cost you a lot of money?

ReputationRep:
    Free health service so nope All prescriptions are free in the UK if you're diabetic. (Are you living in Sweden, does it cost much there?) It'd probably cost me if I was back home in Ireland though.

I know, I get so annoyed and absolutely just HAVE to rant angrily at people when they say that diabetes is from eating too much sugar! And I know they're thinking of type 2 but I just hate being stereotyped against like that! I was always the healthy child lol Lot of good it did me...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sprockette)
    Free health service so nope All prescriptions are free in the UK if you're diabetic. (Are you living in Sweden, does it cost much there?) It'd probably cost me if I was back home in Ireland though.

I know, I get so annoyed and absolutely just HAVE to rant angrily at people when they say that diabetes is from eating too much sugar! And I know they're thinking of type 2 but I just hate being stereotyped against like that! I was always the healthy child lol Lot of good it did me...
    Same here, I was the most fit kid in my high school, being an elite athlete on national level, and then suddenly I got this ****!

EVERYTHING is for free in Sweden. That's why I'm always accused for living in a communist country by my Texas friends. Do you have an insulin pump?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by johan_89)
    Same here, I was the most fit kid in my high school, being an elite athlete on national level, and then suddenly I got this ****!

EVERYTHING is for free in Sweden. That's why I'm always accused for living in a communist country by my Texas friends. Do you have an insulin pump?
    No, I'd be quite scared of a pump even though I think that's the way to go But I wouldn't want my lovely body having this thing in it lol I'm sure I'll get it eventually as it sounds like it'd give great control. I heard that it's only used in people who have bad control though, not everyone.

Does anyone else use a pump? I'd be really interested in hearing about them as I know I should have one.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sprockette)
    No, I'd be quite scared of a pump even though I think that's the way to go But I wouldn't want my lovely body having this thing in it lol I'm sure I'll get it eventually as it sounds like it'd give great control. I heard that it's only used in people who have bad control though, not everyone.

Does anyone else use a pump? I'd be really interested in hearing about them as I know I should have one.
    I do have a pump actually, and it's great, it might even be my best friend, haha. I was very sceptical about the whole thing when I was first introduced to the idea (wait - i'm low:yep:). You know, of being forced to have something connected to your body, your flesh, especially during the summers when you like to take swim in the lake every once in a while.

But it hasn't been a problem, I just remove the pump when I feel like it, and use my pens instead for a few hours (be aware though that the pump only injects e.g. a rapid-acting insulin of the type NovoRapid).

The pump allows you to do so much more, one could e.g. personalise the pump in various ways. In addition to that you could also adjust the insulin injected depending on the food, in the case of pizza I usually let the pump inject 3 units the first minute, and then an additional 3 units during an one- hour period.

PLUS! YOU CAN SLEEP AS LONG AS YOU WANT (WITHIN REASON) WITHOUT WORRYING ABOUT THE GLUCOSE LEVELS!

In Sweden everyone is entitled to receive a free insulin pump (I think mine cost around 10 000 US), I actually manage to broke my first, so this is my second. I got mine 1 year after I got sick, mainly because of the fact that my HbA1c was constant at around 5.2-6

ReputationRep:
    I believe over here they only prescribe pumps for people with Hba1cs of over 7.5%.

Edit: It seems in the latest NICE guidelines the threshold has been raised to >8.5%, with under 7.5% being defined as "good control".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Awesome-o)
    I believe over here they only prescribe pumps for people with Hba1cs of over 7.5%.

Edit: It seems in the latest NICE guidelines the threshold has been raised to >8.5%, with under 7.5% being defined as "good control".
    Over 7.5 %, that means you have an average blood glucose level of 13-14 (I think), which is kind of appalling, no offense if anyone has that kind of HbA1c! In Sweden the threshold for adults is 6 %, and for kids around 7 %!

I guess it's because we pay HUGE amounts of tax!

ReputationRep:
    I agree on the whole type two/eating too much sugar frustrations. In my opinion they should totally be called different names. I hate reading adverts about how to reverse or prevent diabetes, or 'if you are overweight you are at risk of diabetes' etc why can't they state that they are referring to type two only! There is a facebook group called something like 'NO i did not eat too much sugar, i have TYPE ONE diabetes' that i belong to.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by preciousillusions)
    Yep. The reason my sugars are so eratic is because i suffer from that too, along with regular eating disorders as well. I understand how hard it is. I have been in the hospital twice with DKA in the past and dealt with it at home on my own many more times. I have also had liver and kidney damage brought on by it (combined with anorexia/low weight). These days i try to keep myself from being that high for too long as it makes me feel so weak and like i am literally dying, but as my eating is so up and down as it is it means my sugars often swing from very low to off the scale high.

I did a campaign on diabulimia awareness for my journalism assesment last year and it was a bit of an eye opener. I actually interviewed a woman who had gone totally blind through manipulating her insulin . Please try to take care of yourself, i know how diffcult it is but you can never tell what long term damage you may be doing.

Thanks for the replies guys. Sprokette - i often inject on buses too! :laughing: And my bag is absolutely full of old blood tester strips, insulin pens and lancets, i am sooo unorganised which is not a trait that goes well with diabetes. Also not good at changing needles!! Where does everyone inject mostly? I need to rotate more as i always use my stomach. I am supposed to take 5 shots a day but as i said it is all very hit and miss with me. I try to keep myself out of danger but things are certainly far from perfect.

Hypos...i used to have really bad fits when i had a hypo in the night and would fall out of bed, was woken up by paramadics that had given me the glucogen injection twice..thank god that doesn't happen now as my Mum used to sort me out and now i am living at uni. I don't know why but i seemed to grow out of it. I have never actually fainted from a hypo, even at levels that i should be fainting at really, like in the 1's! I hate the hypos, especially now i have the whole guilt element of taking it in the first place - i feel like i am keeping lucozade in trading lol. These days what generally happens is i will let myself run stupidly high then take a huge shot and not eat enough so my levels come crashing, but this is better than when i used to leave my levels high for long periods of time.

Gah, sorry that was a bit of a ramble!

Does anyone see a diabetic nurse at uni or go to clinic? I used to see a nurse which actually helped me quite a bit so i was thinking about trying to start that up again.
    i've recently just got out of hospital as i had a bad case of DKA which i couldn't control at home (3rd time to be admitted). it was awful, i thought i was going to die. but that still wasn't enough to get me 'better' as days after i came out of hospital i was back to my old ways. i don't really know how to help myself...also, the fact that my parents and docotrs found out what i was doing made everything worse, they just didn't understand !
    i understand the whole up and down eating thing...i'm like that. i ususally just eat what i want (all the fatty stuff) and ignore my injections so i wont put on any of that weight, until my eyes go weird and i just feel like death and i can smell the ketones on my breath, then i inject a HUGE lot of insulin so my blood levels fall dramitcally, sometimes into a hypo. it's awful rreally, yo-yoing my sugar levels Like that.
    i just wish it would go away, i don't know how i can be helped with getting all the mental stuff to go. i know people see me as "stupid" as i am killing myself, to be blunt about it, but i just can't stop

what's everyones HBa1c's then? mine is god damn awful; 14% :|

ReputationRep:
    Mine was 12% last time, and that is an improvement. I take my insulin more these days but i also use a lot of other eating disordered behaviours to control my weight.

I am so sorry you are struggling so much ssjay... feel free to message me if you want to talk okay? Please try and be as honest as you can with people about this, as you need help - you will not know what damage you are doing inside till it is too late. Life doesn't have to be like this.

ReputationRep:
    Oh thank god, I thought mine was the only awful HbA1c (no offence) lol It used to be 13% before I came to uni. My mum made me eat, was more worried about hypos but I've got it down to nearly 7% now, which is brilliant for me! Thank god my weight is fine and blood pressure is perfect. I keep asking teh doctor about my BP and I won't accept it when they say it's fine - I have to ask, "well like, on the high side of normal or...?" Paranoid!

ReputationRep:
    ^ wow good job on the improvement!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sssjay)
    i've recently just got out of hospital as i had a bad case of DKA which i couldn't control at home (3rd time to be admitted). it was awful, i thought i was going to die. but that still wasn't enough to get me 'better' as days after i came out of hospital i was back to my old ways. i don't really know how to help myself...also, the fact that my parents and docotrs found out what i was doing made everything worse, they just didn't understand !
    i understand the whole up and down eating thing...i'm like that. i ususally just eat what i want (all the fatty stuff) and ignore my injections so i wont put on any of that weight, until my eyes go weird and i just feel like death and i can smell the ketones on my breath, then i inject a HUGE lot of insulin so my blood levels fall dramitcally, sometimes into a hypo. it's awful rreally, yo-yoing my sugar levels Like that.
    i just wish it would go away, i don't know how i can be helped with getting all the mental stuff to go. i know people see me as "stupid" as i am killing myself, to be blunt about it, but i just can't stop

what's everyones HBa1c's then? mine is god damn awful; 14% :|
    I feel really sry for you! You need to get some help, don't you have a GP/nurse/psychologist to talk to and discuss your serious problems with? I don't think you're stupid, don't listen to those ppl.

Generally, are you other ppl often depressed and cry a lot? I'm sort of neutral in relation to the disease, like blank, and then sometimes really low, a few times a year.

ReputationRep:
    aye i have a diabetes support time thing...shame they are CRAP though. i see them every 3 months, tell them exactly the same things and they just don't give me any decent advice or help! they have only just given me a psychologist person...i'm slowly getting better, it just takes time i guess!

and yes, johan_89, i've suffered from depression ever since i was diagnosed, i belive it has truely ruined my life

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sssjay)
    aye i have a diabetes support time thing...shame they are CRAP though. i see them every 3 months, tell them exactly the same things and they just don't give me any decent advice or help! they have only just given me a psychologist person...i'm slowly getting better, it just takes time i guess!

and yes, johan_89, i've suffered from depression ever since i was diagnosed, i belive it has truely ruined my life
    Oh, I'm sry to hear that. It's a shame you can't get the help you need. You haven't even been prescribed any anti-depressives (even though they perhaps are a rather short-term solution)? I know it doesn't help you, and I don't anything about your life situation in general, but I usually, think like this when I'm frustrated and sad: I'm at least alive, unlike my friend who died in cancer. Essentially there is nothing you could do about the disease, the best way is to accept it, how hard it may be, if you want to be looking forward to a relatively long life. I understand your situation, and realise how hard it's to accept the disease and to come to terms with it. You have had it for a while, haven't you? I guess I haven't had time to get really frustrated yet.

ReputationRep:
    I haven't been to the hospital in a few months, I think they have my old address or something. The doctor never gives the hospital my new address, I have to change it in every department!? :mad: I don't want to go again, I don't see the point. They just tell you the same stuff over and over. I guess I'll have to get going sometime though... Uhh!

ReputationRep:
    I take prozac for depression. Is is hard for me to know whether the ed, anxiety and depression would have come without the diabetes or whether the diabetes was the catalyst for it all.

A lot of people really don't understand how much being diabetic takes over your life, and how much more it is about than testing your blood sugars and injecting, it is deeply psychological too.

Btw, I actually wrote a chapter for a book that came out recently on my experience with diabulimia.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 26, 2008
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.