The Student Room Group

Prison officers?

Are there any prison officers here in this campaign. I got offer for the prison offer hmp wandsworth. Does anyone have any idea how is it working in that prison?
Original post by GGovindaraju
Are there any prison officers here in this campaign. I got offer for the prison offer hmp wandsworth. Does anyone have any idea how is it working in that prison?

I quit after 5 weeks of working at Wandsworth as a prison officer. Zero management, every prison officer there is quitting, the one that are not quitting are either haven't passed the home office interview stage as a Border force or police. Even the person in charge of training you will be telling you that is sure that you are going to quit. Emerging not getting paid and your manager hand a phone number to and call and nobody can sort it. The shift pattern is terrible. Almost every shift take over your whole day. You have to pay for small locker to keep your mobile phone or leave at home. There's no changing room for staff or locker rooms. you have do everything inside your car outside. It too much for 30K a year salary. The worst part is, the prisoners have more rights than you. If prisoner punch you and you tackle that prisoner and restraint him, it will count as excessive force. If you got stab or get hot sugar/ metted throw at you, that prisoner will received nothing stop them doing it again. They don't get additional time added.
I decline the offer for HMP Wandsworth. Thanks for ur reply.
Original post by Hajiwese
I quit after 5 weeks of working at Wandsworth as a prison officer. Zero management, every prison officer there is quitting, the one that are not quitting are either haven't passed the home office interview stage as a Border force or police. Even the person in charge of training you will be telling you that is sure that you are going to quit. Emerging not getting paid and your manager hand a phone number to and call and nobody can sort it. The shift pattern is terrible. Almost every shift take over your whole day. You have to pay for small locker to keep your mobile phone or leave at home. There's no changing room for staff or locker rooms. you have do everything inside your car outside. It too much for 30K a year salary. The worst part is, the prisoners have more rights than you. If prisoner punch you and you tackle that prisoner and restraint him, it will count as excessive force. If you got stab or get hot sugar/ metted throw at you, that prisoner will received nothing stop them doing it again. They don't get additional time added.

I'm an ex prison officer and I agree with most of what you said except for the changing facilities. I don't know about the mobile phone locker in HMP Wandsworth, but in my previous prison, we just got one locker and that was for everything (clothes, food, phone etc). I'm sorry to say but I think you're lying in regards to having no changing facilities. Every prison has changing facilities because it is a safety risk for prison officers to come/leave the prison in their prison officer uniform as they can get attacked by the general public (as you know, most people don't like "screws"). So people would come to prison in their own clothes, change to their uniform in the changing room for their shift, and then change back to their own clothes after their shift and before they leave for their own safety.
Don't join the prison service. It is full of corruption, assaults, and bad management. Only thing that's good about it is the overtime pay (£22 per hour when doing overtime) but that is definitely not worth it for the amount of s.hit you have to put up with. A lot of people leave shortly after joining, and as @Hajiwese said, the typical prison officer is someone who couldn't get into the police or border force. And a lot of people who do leave the prison service, go on to join the police or border force. I worked there for a small while just to get experience, learn new skills, and have something to add to my CV but I've left and now work in a much better place. I was in the prison service for less than a year.
Is Youth Support Worker job is same as Prison Officer?
Original post by Submarine94
I'm an ex prison officer and I agree with most of what you said except for the changing facilities. I don't know about the mobile phone locker in HMP Wandsworth, but in my previous prison, we just got one locker and that was for everything (clothes, food, phone etc). I'm sorry to say but I think you're lying in regards to having no changing facilities. Every prison has changing facilities because it is a safety risk for prison officers to come/leave the prison in their prison officer uniform as they can get attacked by the general public (as you know, most people don't like "screws"). So people would come to prison in their own clothes, change to their uniform in the changing room for their shift, and then change back to their own clothes after their shift and before they leave for their own safety.

Why I would I lied and for what exactly? Have you work in HMP Wandsworth prison before? Everyone wear uniform from home. The only thing is I was told remove bag number when am outside. I still challenge you on this. There is no locker or changing room in Wandsworth prison. Anyone who is currently working there here can prove me wrong. I left Wandsworth prison May 2022. What you on about.
Reply 8
Don't join the prison service. It is full of corruption, assaults, and bad management. Only thing that's good about it is the overtime pay (£22 per hour when doing overtime) but that is definitely not worth it for the amount of s.hit you have to put up with. A lot of people leave shortly after joining, and as @Hajiwese said, the typical prison officer is someone who couldn't get into the police or border force. And a lot of people who do leave the prison service, go on to join the police or border force. I worked there for a small while just to get experience, learn new skills, and have something to add to my CV but I've left and now work in a much better place. I was in the prison service for less than a year.

Hey, you said you no longer work as a prison officer? Was the job that bad?
Original post by xxvine
Hey, you said you no longer work as a prison officer? Was the job that bad?

I literally summarised the job in the paragraph you quoted me on 😂
I literally summarised the job in the paragraph you quoted me on 😂

Lol my bad. I was just wanting more information.

We didn't have changing facilities in the prison I worked at for nearly 5 years, we all just came and left in out uniform.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending