The Student Room Group

Mature student looking to go to University

Hi, I'm hoping to potentially attend university in England next year if I can. Education wise, I achieved 8 Scottish Highers in school. Unfortunately, I had severe mental health issues at the time which meant I was unable to complete my Advanced Highers.

My school pushed me to go into education whilst I was still ill and on eternal waiting lists. I ended up dropping out of my HNC as a result of my poor health.

Now the question is, would I be able to attend university in England? I moved here as a teenager with some other people to get away from my household. As far as I know, this would now disqualify me for free tuition in Scotland as I am not ordinarily a resident there.

Looking at English courses, many require A Levels. My Scottish Highers would only be AS Level equivalent from what I know. I'm also wondering if my incomplete HNC will affect the funding that I could be granted. Also, If I got onto a foundation year, would I have to fund that extra year myself?

In the case that I was not accepted into university, would I be able to study A levels or a T level course in England? Would this affect my funding additionally?

Lots of questions here haha! Thanks for any guidance that you can give me. I would be looking to do a course in something related to Graphic Design or Games Art for more context which could be supported with a portfolio.
Original post by Quartzie
Hi, I'm hoping to potentially attend university in England next year if I can. Education wise, I achieved 8 Scottish Highers in school. Unfortunately, I had severe mental health issues at the time which meant I was unable to complete my Advanced Highers.

My school pushed me to go into education whilst I was still ill and on eternal waiting lists. I ended up dropping out of my HNC as a result of my poor health.

Now the question is, would I be able to attend university in England? I moved here as a teenager with some other people to get away from my household. As far as I know, this would now disqualify me for free tuition in Scotland as I am not ordinarily a resident there.

Looking at English courses, many require A Levels. My Scottish Highers would only be AS Level equivalent from what I know. I'm also wondering if my incomplete HNC will affect the funding that I could be granted. Also, If I got onto a foundation year, would I have to fund that extra year myself?

In the case that I was not accepted into university, would I be able to study A levels or a T level course in England? Would this affect my funding additionally?

Lots of questions here haha! Thanks for any guidance that you can give me. I would be looking to do a course in something related to Graphic Design or Games Art for more context which could be supported with a portfolio.

@PQ.Do you have any ideas on this as it involves scottish highers and graphic design.
Look at a Foundation Diploma in Art & Design - they may take you without Advanced Highers - https://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/student-advice/what-to-study/art-and-design-foundation-diplomas

Or, look at an Access to HE course at a local FE College - https://www.accesstohe.ac.uk/

Did you have a Student Loan etc support for the HNC? If not it should not impact your eligibilty for SFE - post a question on this forum - https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=910

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending