The Student Room Group

PhD after PGCE?

I’ve always wanted to be a teacher and am very grateful that I was able to secure a PGCE course starting in September. I’ve only just completed my MSci, and knew that I wanted to go into teaching but am not sure now about jumping straight in. I did consider doing a PhD after my MSci, thinking of doing a PGCE later down the line when I’m older with more experience in the field, but instead chose to do a PGCE straight after graduation for very silly reasons regarding a relationship that ended up falling apart.

How common is it for people to do a PGCE, do something else for a few years for experience, and then go back into teaching? I really did want to carry on my studies before embarking on my teaching career and I wish I prioritised myself when making this decision. I regret it now, because I based this on another person who no longer matters to me anymore.
Original post by CookieMonster456
I’ve always wanted to be a teacher and am very grateful that I was able to secure a PGCE course starting in September. I’ve only just completed my MSci, and knew that I wanted to go into teaching but am not sure now about jumping straight in. I did consider doing a PhD after my MSci, thinking of doing a PGCE later down the line when I’m older with more experience in the field, but instead chose to do a PGCE straight after graduation for very silly reasons regarding a relationship that ended up falling apart.

How common is it for people to do a PGCE, do something else for a few years for experience, and then go back into teaching? I really did want to carry on my studies before embarking on my teaching career and I wish I prioritised myself when making this decision. I regret it now, because I based this on another person who no longer matters to me anymore.

It’s not very common to take a break immediately after training, mainly because it will make it more challenging to get a job when you return to teaching. You would likely be looking at having to do a bit of supply work when you return, just to make yourself more employable and avoid the image of having been out of the classroom for a long time.

Another thing to consider is that when you get your first teaching job, you will still be starting on M1 (unless you are teaching a shortage subject perhaps and manage to negotiate better). I know that for some people who start teaching later in life, this can be a deterrent because they are looking to start a family / get a mortgage and the salary feels too low for that. Obviously whether that applies to you depends a lot on personal circumstances, but it can be something to consider!!

I would go into teaching for at least a couple of years. A PhD wont make you more employable as a teacher and you can do it later part-time anyway.

It's not too late to withdraw from a PGCE and look for something else.
Original post by bluebeetle
It’s not very common to take a break immediately after training, mainly because it will make it more challenging to get a job when you return to teaching. You would likely be looking at having to do a bit of supply work when you return, just to make yourself more employable and avoid the image of having been out of the classroom for a long time.

Another thing to consider is that when you get your first teaching job, you will still be starting on M1 (unless you are teaching a shortage subject perhaps and manage to negotiate better). I know that for some people who start teaching later in life, this can be a deterrent because they are looking to start a family / get a mortgage and the salary feels too low for that. Obviously whether that applies to you depends a lot on personal circumstances, but it can be something to consider!!

Hiya! Please could you explain why it would be harder to find a job if I took a break after the PGCE? What is an M1? I would be teaching Chemistry
Original post by Muttley79
I would go into teaching for at least a couple of years. A PhD wont make you more employable as a teacher and you can do it later part-time anyway.

It's not too late to withdraw from a PGCE and look for something else.

Hiya! I wasn’t really thinking of employability as a reason to do a PhD, it was more me just wanting to continue studying a subject I really love. What about if I did a MSc instead? I feel like it’s already too late as my PGCE would start in September 😕
Hiya! I wasn’t really thinking of employability as a reason to do a PhD, it was more me just wanting to continue studying a subject I really love. What about if I did a MSc instead? I feel like it’s already too late as my PGCE would start in September 😕

I've known a few teachers do further qualification part-time. My school paid for my Masters and a colleague did a PhD part-time.

You can pull out and look at something else ... don't do a PGCE unless you are committed.
Hiya! Please could you explain why it would be harder to find a job if I took a break after the PGCE? What is an M1? I would be teaching Chemistry

Most schools would rather employ somebody with recent classroom experience. If you’ve had a long gap after training, you may be rather rusty and need more support getting back into the swing of things. If there are any notable curriculum changes in the time you’re away from teaching, you won’t be up to date with those. It’s probably more an issue for popular subjects where schools have a large amount of people applying, but could still impact you in Chemistry.

M1 is the lowest rung on the payscale for qualified teachers - it changes over time and is also different near London, you can google what the amount is right now. Basically, as a new teacher, it is most likely you will start on M1 unless you can negotiate more.
Original post by Muttley79
I've known a few teachers do further qualification part-time. My school paid for my Masters and a colleague did a PhD part-time.

You can pull out and look at something else ... don't do a PGCE unless you are committed.

I do definitely want to go into teaching, I was just thinking of getting the QTS first, then doing some more study to widen my knowledge of the subject, then come back to teaching with more experience
Original post by bluebeetle
Most schools would rather employ somebody with recent classroom experience. If you’ve had a long gap after training, you may be rather rusty and need more support getting back into the swing of things. If there are any notable curriculum changes in the time you’re away from teaching, you won’t be up to date with those. It’s probably more an issue for popular subjects where schools have a large amount of people applying, but could still impact you in Chemistry.

M1 is the lowest rung on the payscale for qualified teachers - it changes over time and is also different near London, you can google what the amount is right now. Basically, as a new teacher, it is most likely you will start on M1 unless you can negotiate more.

What if it was just 1 year that I take out, if I chose to do a MSc? Surely that would still be recent enough experience?
I do definitely want to go into teaching, I was just thinking of getting the QTS first, then doing some more study to widen my knowledge of the subject, then come back to teaching with more experience

That wouldn't make getting a job easy ...you don't need more subject knowledge to be a better teacher. My Masters was mostly studying the pedagogy of teaching Maths.
It's not a good idea to leave a huge gap between PGCE and completing your ECT.
You're better off doing your MSc/PhD or whatever you want to study then go into your PGCE.
@1secondsofvamps @Muttley79 @bluebeetle thanks for your responses, I totally understand what you are all saying. It’s just hard to change my mind now as I’ve already secured a scholarship, and the PGCE starts in September. Is it really that bad to take a year out to do something else, then go back? I’m not doing it to increase my employability, I purely do just want to learn more.
@1secondsofvamps @Muttley79 @bluebeetle thanks for your responses, I totally understand what you are all saying. It’s just hard to change my mind now as I’ve already secured a scholarship, and the PGCE starts in September. Is it really that bad to take a year out to do something else, then go back? I’m not doing it to increase my employability, I purely do just want to learn more.

Teach for a few years first - honestly as someone who interviews going back into studying and then looking for a post would make me hesitate in appointing you. You can do a PhD part-time alongside teaching if you want to carry on studying.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending