Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Although Spanish is one of the most studied languages in the world, there seems to be a lack of decent, comprehensive materials for learning it, even less than some more obscure languages. The majority of self-study materials available seem to be aimed at people who just want phrases to get by on a short visit and have no intention of actually learning to speak the language.

Can anyone suggest any books/courses that are aimed at starting from scratch, but are comprehensive and don't merely spoon feed you phrases, but show you the grammar and how these phrases are built so you can start to apply the vocabulary learnt to other concepts.

What is the Hugo Spanish course like? Does anyone have any experience with it? On first glance it looks reasonable, but I'm not sure.

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    I'd suggest buying a good grammar book and getting the essentials first, the building up vocabulary as you go along. That's how i'd cope with it!

ReputationRep:
    I'd start with the BBC Talk Spanish course. It's fairly dull looking but does cover all the basics, and with the accompanying CDs it will get you started in understanding and listening to Spanish. Then get CGP's Revise Spanish GCSE, to learn all the vocab from. I would avoid most of the 'text books' since they all require learning to be led by a teacher.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: December 4, 2008

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.