Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HJV)
    I once heard of someone who read the entire Harry Potter series - twice.
    I like you.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Why.... waste of time tbh. Unless he has an insane memory, hes just going to have to look up words all over again that he didn't know. And most of them would be words like 'hat' lol wat is the point. I would rather read something to stretch my mind.

ReputationRep:
    Quite interesting, indeed. I commend this fellow.

Also I think there should be a new degree course revolving around the study of the Dictionary.

And I would have a firmer respect for a person with that degree than I would for a person with many other degrees. English being one of them, quite ironically.

ReputationRep:
    Weird thing is that he couldn't even have a basic conversation because he forgot basic words. Is the brain capable of remembering 59million words and definitions?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HJV)
    I'll give you a 2nd person then - ME! :p:

ReputationRep:
    I was going to read the dictionary, but, instead, I'm just going to wait until the film comes out. :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tommm)
    Nah, I think it was the zygote. :p:
    Not the zephyr? :hmmm:

ReputationRep:
    This guy is so cool. I wonder how much he actually remembers of it. I wish I knew all the interesting bits of the dictionary without having to read it all the way through.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jaydoh)
    Not the zephyr? :hmmm:
    abcd e fghijklmnopqrstuvwx y z

ReputationRep:
    More to the point, someone wrote it!

(Original post by nolongerhearthemusic)
    This guy is so cool. I wonder how much he actually remembers of it. I wish I knew all the interesting bits of the dictionary without having to read it all the way through.
    That's certainly a unique way of describing him.

Sounds like an interesting guy.

My English teacher reads the dictionary ever year and sends in corrections. :yep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dr. Unk)
    abcd e fghijklmnopqrstuvwx y z
    Fair shout

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HJV)
    My sister read the first one 20 times, the second 14 times and the third 27 times, cant remember the other numbers for the rest of the series which is definately more than twice!

I had an english teacher who went on a date with a lady, and they actually did this, they went back afterwards to his place to read....... the dictionary. :hubba:

ReputationRep:
    But absorbing so much made Mr Shea lose his grasp on his normal vocabulary. He recalls being fascinated when reading the definition for the word "glove" before he realised it was a word he already knew.

There's a moral there somewhere.

EDIT: Another brilliant quote from the article:

Some of Mr Shea's favourites garnered from the OED include "assy", which means behaving like an ass

The asinine prat.

ReputationRep:
    Clearly this guy has a lot of friends.

ReputationRep:
    Why not? At primary school, I knew a girl who read the dictionary for fun.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Big Kabz)
    Weird thing is that he couldn't even have a basic conversation because he forgot basic words. Is the brain capable of remembering 59million words and definitions?
    the brain is - the brains like a video camera and hard drive, its sees hears smells tastes - everything it remembers recording them into it memory banks. The average person though cannot recall them. so locked in this guys brain is every word in teh english language and its definition, he just wont remember

ReputationRep:
    I tried to read the dictionary, but I gave up at Aardvark.

ReputationRep:
    Don't tell him that there is probably a new edition out with lots more words :ninja:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.