Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HJV)
    I once heard of someone who read the entire Harry Potter series - twice.
    If I include the English books (as I am Dutch) I believe I've read the entire serie 5 times :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Big Kabz)
    He could have probably learnt another language.
    He has. He most probably knows 50,000 words that I don't, so can we really speak the same language?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Psorian)
    If I include the English books (as I am Dutch) I believe I've read the entire serie 5 times :p:
    :nah: You can’t have possibly read the complete series of the OED 5 times? :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AWZC)
    Has Profesh seen this? Methinks it suits him quite well...
    Yeah, sure: language is a tool; paint is for walls.

God, people are retarded.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Big Kabz)
    He could have probably learnt another language.
    What; syntax, grammar, locution and vocabulary? I doubt it.

Your point is akin to disparaging someone who has spent one year rehearsing the entire works of Mozart on piano because they 'could have probably learnt another instrument'.

ReputationRep:
    Well plenty of people learn to recite the Quran. I imagine this is quite a bit longer but he only read it, I don't suppose he learnt the whole thing off by heart.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Profesh)
    Yeah, sure: language is a tool; paint is for walls.

God, people are retarded.
    A a risk of getting into a debate, I would ask you whats the point of using almost unheard of words in conversation? I consider myself well read for my age and yet you come up with words I haven't heard of still, and that renders your post null and void. Why do it then, when there are more fathomable words to be said?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AWZC)
    A a risk of getting into a debate, I would ask you whats the point of using almost unheard of words in conversation? I consider myself well read for my age and yet you come up with words I haven't heard of still, and that renders your post null and void. Why do it then, when there are more fathomable words to be said?
    Because constantly tailoring my prose-style to accommodate absolutely everyone would be inhibitive to my persona, and prohibitive to my enjoyment of TSR; and my ludicrously high rep seems to indicate that the balance I strike at present is a perfectly serviceable one. If you find my lexis 'unfathomable' (though I don't think it is), try Answers.com.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ElectricOceans)
    :nah: You can’t have possibly read the complete series of the OED 5 times? :p:
    I would ask people around me to kill me for my stupidity if I did such a thing :yep: (But on a more serious note, I was talking about the Harry Potter series if you had read my quote :p:)

ReputationRep:
    Why do we have 59 million words? I bet the vast majority are never used any more.

Also, more than a million words a week, you'd have to be a very fast reader and dedicate most of your time to it.

ReputationRep:
    I would ask people around me to kill me for my stupidity if I did such a thing :yep: (But on a more serious note, I was talking about the Harry Potter series if you had read my quote :p:)
    Oh sorry, I didn’t realise you were talking about the Harry Potter series, I thought you were referring to the OED. My mistake! :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sephiroth)
    Why do we have 59 million words? I bet the vast majority are never used any more.

Also, more than a million words a week, you'd have to be a very fast reader and dedicate most of your time to it.
    I believe the whole OED contains 59 million words, so this would mean not only the English words, but also the explanation of all the words (Which could be 100s of words to just describe one word)

ReputationRep:
    I believe the whole OED contains 59 million words, so this would mean not only the English words, but also the explanation of all the words (Which could be 100s of words to just describe one word)
    That makes sense, I was thinking 59 million individual words. lol.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.