The Student Room Group

Is it possible to graduate with a first if I got a 2:1 in second year?

I got a 2:1 overall in my second year of university and was one mark off getting a first. Is it still possible to graduate with a first?

I know getting a 2:1 is still good but I feel like I won't be satisfied with my grade if I don't graduate with a first.
Original post by neave4427
I got a 2:1 overall in my second year of university and was one mark off getting a first. Is it still possible to graduate with a first?

I know getting a 2:1 is still good but I feel like I won't be satisfied with my grade if I don't graduate with a first.

Mathematically possible, yes, I'm sure. You just need to work out what you need to get in final-year to come out with a first overall and you can do this by reading your taught assessment regulations.
(edited 1 year ago)
Yes, it is. My cousin got a 2:1 in his second year and graduated with a first.

You’re not far off at all!

Good luck! :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by Blue_Cow
Mathematically possible, yes, I'm sure. You just need to work out what you need to get in final-year to come out with a first overall and you can do this by reading your taught assessment regulations.

I am awful at maths, my degree thankfully doesn't require a lot of that. Do you know what sort of grades I would need to get in each module? Would I more or less need to get a first in every module? Thank you for the reply!

Module 1: 40 credits
Module 2: 20 credits
Module 3: 20 credits
Module 4: 20 credits
Module 5: 20 credits
Reply 4
Original post by ReviseSleeping
Yes, it is. My cousin got a 2:1 in his second year and graduated with a first.

You’re not far off at all!

Good luck! :smile:

Amazing! It's quite unfortunate that I was only one mark off from getting a first (69/100). Hopefully being so close will help me out with achieving a first. Fingers crossed! Thank you! :biggrin:
I am awful at maths, my degree thankfully doesn't require a lot of that. Do you know what sort of grades I would need to get in each module? Would I more or less need to get a first in every module? Thank you for the reply!

I've no idea how your university weights each year, or whether they drop the worst performing module for example when calculating your average. I can't give you an answer.
Reply 6

Just saw your edited comment. Thank you for going into more detail, I appreciate it!

Reply 7
I've no idea how your university weights each year, or whether they drop the worst performing module for example when calculating your average. I can't give you an answer.

Not a problem, thank you!
Not a problem, thank you!

Np - good luck. Honestly though you are clearly on track for a first. Just give it your best shot.
Reply 9
Np - good luck. Honestly though you are clearly on track for a first. Just give it your best shot.

Thank you very much! I certainly try my best.
Every degree programme will have a formula for final classification. You should be able to find yours in the course handbook.

Best wishes in your final year.

Quick Reply