Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Olympiad hosted by UK will be a Failure! watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Does UK have the ability to host the Olympiad(OLYMPIC GAMES)?
    Due to the finicial crisis, less and less Sponsors will sign the cooperation agreements with London goverment. That indicates a big funds loophole for London. UK is now in danger.
    Everybody feels uneasy and anxious to the next Olympiad hosted by London.
    CHANGE, WE NEED is to alternate hosting right to another country.

ReputationRep:
    you mean the olympics? or do you mean some academic olympiad?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eric Qin)
    Does UK have the ability to host the Olympiad?
    Due to the finicial crisis, less and less Sponsors will sign the cooperation agreements with London goverment. That indicates a big funds loophole for London. UK is now in danger.
    I didn't sleep at all last week because I felt so anxious about London 2012.

:stupid:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Y__)
    I didn't sleep at all last week because I felt so anxious about London 2012.

:stupid:
    :rofl:. OP I presume you mean the Olympics?

ReputationRep:
    The Olympiad? Surely you mean the Olympics? :unsure:

ReputationRep:
    DOOM! DOOOOOMMMMMM!!!!!! the olympics can be profitable and leave a positive legacy too. they just need to be well managed - take a look at Barcelona or atlanta.

ReputationRep:
    No. We got it, we will pull it off. We also won't cheat like China.

ReputationRep:
    errrrrrrr..... surely the olympics? :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    I do not think it will be a failure, and anyway, the worst of the crisis should be over by then.

It doesn't have to compare to Beijing at all. I don't get this. China can feel like a world superpower if they want, Britain doesn't need to jump on the bandwagon. Hopefully the BOA won't lie about the ages of featured personalities, be they entertainers or athletes.

ReputationRep:
    London has a greater ability to host the Olympics than China. China didn't cooperate with their human rights agreement for the Olympics, the human rights actually worsened because of the Olympics...
    Why are you saying 'change we need' all the time? You aren't Barack Obama...:no:

ReputationRep:
    Interesting thread this. I attended a lecture just this morning presented by Dr Alison Nimmo, Director of Design & Regeneration at the Olympic Delivery Authority. Have to say I was impressed by the depth of the masterplan and the legacy planning for after the games - the vision for the long term regeneration of East London is far more important than the 2 week sporting event itself, and a remarkable amount of thought seems to have gone into it.

There could be a problem with finance I agree, but as the vast majority of the land is publicly-owned, the on-site massive 1.5million sq ft Westfield retail development is starting to be built, and there is a £4billion+ contingency fund in place. In the current economic climate, mass public spending on this scale is just what the economy needs.

Eric Qin - you're an idiot. You're clearly just trying to show off about the Beijing Olympics being bigger, and of course they will be However, the London Olympics will be held in a free and open society, and, unlike in Beijing, a serious sustainability agenda is being pursued, along with a long term regeneration vision for the area in which the Olympics are taking place. Beijing considered none of these, and merely threw vast sums of cash and labour at the project, leaving some impressive facilities that will now hardly ever be used again.

I'm confident the London games will be delivered on time, but more importantly the local community should benefit quite a lot from the investment.

ReputationRep:
    Sponsorship will not be massively effected by the financial crisis.

This is Britain - we're not that bothered about "funds loopholes".

Being an Olympic City can never be a failure. It is a success and an honour. It is an indication of the cultural wealth you have to share with the world and we should all be proud of that.

Roll on 2012.

I highly doubt the London games will be a failure, instead I imagine them being a great success.

ReputationRep:
    It will fail if we have that attitude.
    And does anyone else see the irony in a guy from china telling us our olypics is going to fail? (not that this summers wasn't good but it definitely had its problems)

Ours games will be a success! *turns to the team and crack a whip "run, now you lazy scum*

ReputationRep:
    No olympics would be perfect. But I dont see why the one hosted by London could be worse off than China's. Sure China put a lot of emphasis on the Olympics, but money can't buy the olympic spirit, although China did try to buy that too. China's olympics could be called successful in a way, such as the magnificence of it, and the grand openings/finale, but in a way it is also a failure, as it gave China a negative image due to the controversy surrounding it.

Eric, you need to sort out your views, stop being so stubborn in your views and look at your own arguements. They are flawed, no matter how you convince yourself it isn't. And making these flawed posts are doing any good for you either. Learn to have a open mind and stop critisizing everything that isn't what you think, otherwise, you'll become hated in these parts, and in real life if thats your attitude, and I'd feel sorry for you.

ReputationRep:
    I'm gonna be up all night with worry, now...

ReputationRep:
    I personally feel the Olympics are blown out of proportion. The world cups in football/rugby/cricket are more followed than the Olympics. And they fund themselves. How many Brits get the opportunity to sail/cycle around a velodrome for instance; f all.

ReputationRep:
    Another "quality" thread by Eric Qin, the crazy Chinese nationalist :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    The International Chemistry Olympiad will be hosted in Cambridge in 2009.
    Damn yes, Cambridge and Oxford are world centres of science.

http://www.icho2009.co.uk/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EssexDan86)
    Interesting thread this. I attended a lecture just this morning presented by Dr Alison Nimmo, Director of Design & Regeneration at the Olympic Delivery Authority. Have to say I was impressed by the depth of the masterplan and the legacy planning for after the games - the vision for the long term regeneration of East London is far more important than the 2 week sporting event itself, and a remarkable amount of thought seems to have gone into it.

There could be a problem with finance I agree, but as the vast majority of the land is publicly-owned, the on-site massive 1.5million sq ft Westfield retail development is starting to be built, and there is a £4billion+ contingency fund in place. In the current economic climate, mass public spending on this scale is just what the economy needs.

Eric Qin - you're an idiot. You're clearly just trying to show off about the Beijing Olympics being bigger, and of course they will be However, the London Olympics will be held in a free and open society, and, unlike in Beijing, a serious sustainability agenda is being pursued, along with a long term regeneration vision for the area in which the Olympics are taking place. Beijing considered none of these, and merely threw vast sums of cash and labour at the project, leaving some impressive facilities that will now hardly ever be used again.

I'm confident the London games will be delivered on time, but more importantly the local community should benefit quite a lot from the investment.
    Right on spot. Besides substainabilty, it also show case Britain's diversity - a trait of free western societies.

I like that part when the children of Britain was being represented by a young girl of Asian descent in Beijing. The ability of Britain to understand British of all races and background for Britain is a lot more meaningful than China's "China for Chinese people, culture". In fact, even in advanced East asian countries like Japan, they still very much have the mentality of Japanese for Japan and don't readily accept people different from them. I think inclusiveness and tolerance is a very strong trait of the western civilisation, especially the United States.

Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.