The Student Room Group

Will I loose marks or be given a fail for writing some rude stuff in my exams?

So I just finished my GCSEs and this year there were a lot of muck up, especially in the Physics exam (they put in a whole topic that was specifically listed to not be in the exam). This really panicked me and made me made so i write a few messages in the question boxes directed at AQA since they screwed us over and because I had no idea for the answer to these questions and I won't lie they weren't the nicest messages either. Is this really bad? Has anyone had this happen before because i didn't think it would have consequences and I want to mentally prepare myself if it does.
(edited 1 year ago)
I've known a couple of students have their paper returned unmarked to the school because of the obscenities on it. The candidates received zero marks for that paper and the board left the school to decide if it wanted to impose further sanctions as its money has been wasted. You'll just have to hope they don't judge it as rude enough to do this.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Chops24
So I just finished my GCSEs and this year there were a lot of muck up, especially in the Physics exam (they put in a whole topic that was specifically listed to not be in the exam). This really panicked me and made me made so i write a few messages in the question boxes directed at AQA since they screwed us over and because I had no idea for the answer to these questions and I won't lie they weren't the nicest messages either. Is this really bad? Has anyone had this happen before because i didn't think it would have consequences and I want to mentally prepare myself if it does.

Asking questions you don’t lie isn’t screwing you over, if it is on the syllabus they are entitled to ask it.

Depending on what you put could either mean they ignore it or if it’s bad potentially could consider disqualification.
Original post by mnot
Asking questions you don’t lie isn’t screwing you over, if it is on the syllabus they are entitled to ask it.

No, they weren't. This year they were given advanced information and many of the exams included questions worth many marks on topics not included on this advanced information. This wasn't meant to happen. AQA was one of the worst for it and had to apologise a few times, one of which was for physics https://www.aqa.org.uk/news/an-update-on-gcse-physics-higher-tier-paper-1
(edited 1 year ago)
what kind of things did you write? Any swear words? For next time I would suggest leaving rude remarks under the posts on aqa twitter posts, seems to work for everyone else :smile:
Original post by SuperGirl3231
No, they weren't. This year they were given advanced information and many of the exams included questions worth many marks on topics not included on this advanced information. This wasn't meant to happen. AQA was one of the worst for it and had to apologise a few times, one of which was for physics https://www.aqa.org.uk/news/an-update-on-gcse-physics-higher-tier-paper-1

The advanced information is different to the specification. This was just a helpful bonus, students should be prepared for the full actual regulations & specification.
Original post by mnot
The advanced information is different to the specification. This was just a helpful bonus, students should be prepared for the full actual regulations & specification.

The advanced information was meant to tell everyone what the big mark topics were. The stuff not on the advanced information could still turn up, but as small mark questions. Sadly, circuits didn't appear on the advanced information but was a big mark topic.

Whether you want to accept it or not, AQA made a mistake, apologised, and then awarded everyone full marks for the question. The student is not at fault here for not expecting this topic and subsequently being annoyed at AQA, if this is the topic they are talking about.
The advanced information was meant to tell everyone what the big mark topics were. The stuff not on the advanced information could still turn up, but as small mark questions. Sadly, circuits didn't appear on the advanced information but was a big mark topic.

Whether you want to accept it or not, AQA made a mistake, apologised, and then awarded everyone full marks for the question. The student is not at fault here for not expecting this topic and subsequently being annoyed at AQA, if this is the topic they are talking about.

Im of the opinion they should run & mark exams in accordance with the regulations & students should be prepared to answer anything on the syllabus.

If something is part of the syllabus but a student isn’t required to understand it, how can you justify the qualification.
Original post by mnot
Im of the opinion they should run & mark exams in accordance with the regulations & students should be prepared to answer anything on the syllabus.

If something is part of the syllabus but a student isn’t required to understand it, how can you justify the qualification.

Frankly, your opinion doesn't matter. What matters is what the exam board and Ofqual allowed due to the impact of Covid. This included this advanced information, whether you agree with it or not.
Possibly, it depends what you wrote, but obv a very silly thing to do in your position (you need them, they don't need you)
Frankly, your opinion doesn't matter. What matters is what the exam board and Ofqual allowed due to the impact of Covid. This included this advanced information, whether you agree with it or not.

Thats why it’s an opinion not a policy.
Original post by mnot
Thats why it’s an opinion not a policy.

And yet you were acting as if your opinion was policy and were acting as if students were wrong to pay attention to the advanced information.
And yet you were acting as if your opinion was policy and were acting as if students were wrong to pay attention to the advanced information.

They should have been prepared to answer anything on the syllabus. Even with advanced information, the syllabus is what they can ask.

Now ill be stop replying now, as circling this is not useful, and i have a day to get on with.

Quick Reply

Latest