The Student Room Group

Anyone have any advice for those going into year 13?

Would appreciate any advice (general and/or for subjects such as further maths & physics & cs), or things you wish you knew. Currently feeling a bit stressed and anxious about year 13 and the whole uni application process!

(apologies if someone's made a similar thread - I couldn't see one so made one!)
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by indecisive02
Would appreciate any advice (general and/or for subjects such as further maths & physics & cs), or things you wish you knew. Currently feeling a bit stressed and anxious about year 13 and the whole uni application process!

(apologies if someone's made a similar thread - I couldn't see one so made one!)

Hey @indecisive02

My biggest advice would be to not leave everything till the last moment! While it is potentially doable, it's too stressful to be worth it in the long run. Also do as many practise exam questions as you can and try to understand why you lose the marks you lose.

Personally I started briefly looking at university stuff over the summer because I wanted to get it out of the way early (you don't need to start as early as I did). If you know what course you want to do you could start briefly bullet pointing out things you might put in your personal statement, then you can decide if you think you need to do anything extra before you start on your application. If you have an idea of universities you're considering maybe see if they're doing September/October open days.

Good luck with Y13!
Rebecca
You know how you revise best but definitely make your own notes every day after school based on what you've done that day. Or for FM do enough practise qs on a topic you've just learnt. Obviously easier said than done but try to keep up to date with notes because once you fall behind its so difficult to catch up

And also be productive in your frees as that saves you some time after school !!!!
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 3
Original post by cloud_9_
You know how you revise best but definitely make your own notes every day after school based on what you've done that day. Or for FM do enough practise qs on a topic you've just learnt. Obviously easier said than done but try to keep up to date with notes because once you fall behind its so difficult to catch up

And also be productive in your frees as that saves you some time after school !!!!

Do you have any recommended resources for FM? I can't seem to find any questions by topic on physics and maths tutor for my board (edexcel)?
Original post by Lancaster Student Ambassador
Hey @indecisive02

My biggest advice would be to not leave everything till the last moment! While it is potentially doable, it's too stressful to be worth it in the long run. Also do as many practise exam questions as you can and try to understand why you lose the marks you lose.

Personally I started briefly looking at university stuff over the summer because I wanted to get it out of the way early (you don't need to start as early as I did). If you know what course you want to do you could start briefly bullet pointing out things you might put in your personal statement, then you can decide if you think you need to do anything extra before you start on your application. If you have an idea of universities you're considering maybe see if they're doing September/October open days.

Good luck with Y13!
Rebecca

Thank you so much!
Do you have any recommended resources for FM? I can't seem to find any questions by topic on physics and maths tutor for my board (edexcel)?

Thank you so much!

i didnt actually do FM i only did maths so im not sure about resources unfortunately
Reply 5

Thank you so much!

Dr frost maths and madasmaths were my go to recourses in yr13( on top of physics and maths tutor).

For physics try to keep on top of it, do little bits of revision here and there were you focus on memorizing content. You'll thank yourself when you get close to exams and can start doing exam questions straight away.

It's natural to feel stressed about the uni process, I can remember feeling a bit overwhelmed last year because of it. ( I still don't know if I've made the right choice:redface:).

Only relevant if you apply for maths but something I wish I knew was that the step exams are no where near as hard as they look. I remember looking at them over the yr12 summer and thinking I wasn't capable. It's the primary reason I didn't apply to do straight maths. Yet looking at them a year later after doing the yr13 content they don't look nearly as scary and I regret not giving it a go.
I would say treat any inclass tests / mocks like the real exam (but if the stress gets too much then take time to relax), so when you get round to study leave you already have a good understanding of the topic and you are just going over it again rather than trying to learn it for the first time
Also I'm guilty of this but don't overwork yourself as getting burnout sucks and then you can't do the best job and take time to relax and make sure you can put as much effort as you want in
start drafting your ps now, so long as your doing a little everyday and doing revision consistently youll be in a much better position.
some people get offers the next day and some will get it very late, once youve submitted ucas try to push it to the back of your head, take the descisions from the uni as they come, no point in stressing about offers when it's beyond your control when the admissions teams go through your application

it's your final year of school! enjoy it! enjoy the friendships, lessons, lunchtimes and leavers assemblies

so long as you have a revision schedule and your stick to it youlll be well prepared for april/ march when youll start stepping up to more practice papers

good luck!
Reply 8
Hey, Defo agree with what some of the others have said about starting to think about your ps early. When I was starting mine I made a document of key points, achievements and things I've done I'm proud about to write about in my personal statement so I would definitely recommend doing that. If you've been to any Maths in action lectures or any lectures in general (unsure if there'll have been as many opportunities due to Covid?) where you've heard something you're really passionate about, write about it in your personal statement! As for FM, I did AQA so maybe my advice will be a bit different but I definitely found Year 13 easier, it didn't seem like there was that much of a step up from Year 12 and for my exam board at least, we were taught methods in Year 13 which made answering questions so much easier and quicker (cross product made answering questions on planes soooo much quicker and less tedious!). For resources, I used Physics and Maths tutor and Madasmaths, Exam solutions is quite good for papers - they have Mechanics, Stats and Decision too depending on what options your school chose. I also found this website which seems really useful - https://www.adamsmaths.uk/home/a-level-further-maths Hope I could help in any way and good luck for Year 13! (P.S. Remember to enjoy your summer too!)

Heya! It's completely normal to feel stressed over those things! To begin with, I would recommend making a timetable and scheduling your revision. Then identify a revision method that works for you for example flashcards, spider diagrams and etc.

For those types of subjects, I would recommend just doing lots of past papers. Study Mind offers advice for all subjects and free past papers for physics if it helps! Have the past papers be separated into topics and focus on your weakest ones first and work your way up!

I hope this helps!
Milena G.
UCL PFE
Study Mind

Quick Reply

Latest