The Student Room Group
Power Station Simulator, University of Strathclyde
University of Strathclyde

Being accepted into Uni

Hello, I am looking for some advice and was wondering if you would be able to help me?
I received my Higher results today. I achieved four A’s and a B, the B was in Math. I was hoping to apply to Strathclyde Uni in my sixth year of school for Accounts, and I was wondering if I would need an A in Math to be accepted into this Uni?
Thanks.
According to their website they require an A in higher maths: https://www.strath.ac.uk/courses/undergraduate/accounting/

You might want to see if you can retake the higher maths.
Power Station Simulator, University of Strathclyde
University of Strathclyde
Original post by orlaholloran
Hello, I am looking for some advice and was wondering if you would be able to help me?
I received my Higher results today. I achieved four A’s and a B, the B was in Math. I was hoping to apply to Strathclyde Uni in my sixth year of school for Accounts, and I was wondering if I would need an A in Math to be accepted into this Uni?
Thanks.

Hi @orlaholloran :biggrin: Congrats on your results!

Accounting is a very competitive programme at Strathclyde and we do look for Maths at an A. Our standard entry requirements are AAAA/AAABB after S5, with Higher Maths A and Higher English B. If you are eligible for an offer under widening access criteria then the minimum entry requirements we look for are AAAB/AABBB, still with a required Higher Maths A and Higher English B. If you consider any of the other combinations within the Business School that don't include Accounting or Finance then we'd be able to consider you if you applied next year, however it would be unlikely for Accounting given the requirement for A in Maths.

What are your plans so far for S6? Which subjects were you planning on taking? Happy to chat to you about your options if you want to drop me a message! You can reach me here or our team are running an advice and guidance line for Scottish students for the next few days - 0800 389 3931. You can also reach the Business School by emailing [email protected] if you'd prefer :smile:

- Caitlin :h:
Official University of Strathclyde
Sorry I have only just seen this message. Thank you so much for your reply!
I am taking four Highers in S6. I was planning on doing Politics, Business Management, Psychology and Music Performance.
I don’t come under the widening access.
Would you advise me to resit Math?
Thank you.
Original post by orlaholloran
Sorry I have only just seen this message. Thank you so much for your reply!
I am taking four Highers in S6. I was planning on doing Politics, Business Management, Psychology and Music Performance.
I don’t come under the widening access.
Would you advise me to resit Math?
Thank you.

Hey @orlaholloran :biggrin: No problem! Yes I'd advise you to resit the Maths. Entry is really competitive for our Accounting programmes so we can't guarantee any offers would be made, and a lot of applicants will already meet the full entry requirements from S5 so bear that in mind. Resitting the Maths means that if they're able to make you an offer, you're giving yourself a chance to meet the requirements they need. They'll also look for a strong personal statement with a clear interest in your subject area so that's something to focus on too :^_^:

Good luck with your S6! Feel free to get in touch anytime if I can help.

- Caitlin :h:
Official University of Strathclyde Rep
Thank you so much for your help, much appreciated!

Quick Reply

Latest