This discussion is closed.
vintage_queen
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
Just wondered whether anyone knew anything about the format of UCL Law interviews.

I have one for Law with French tomorrow, and am particularly curious as to what the conversation in French will focus on.

Any help is much appreciated.
goneaway56
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by vintage_queen)
Just wondered whether anyone knew anything about the format of UCL Law interviews.

I have one for Law with French tomorrow, and am particularly curious as to what the conversation in French will focus on.

nope, because everyones been rejected. But try and have something in your mind that you want to talk about!
london_bum
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago

Are you for the Double Maitrise? I'm only Law with French Legal Studies...so I'm wondering about the French aspect too.

I haven't started any preparation yet, but I will...soon...I hope... :rolleyes:
vintage_queen
(Original post by london_bum)
Are you for the Double Maitrise? I'm only Law with French Legal Studies...so I'm wondering about the French aspect too.

I haven't started any preparation yet, but I will...soon...I hope... :rolleyes:
Nope, I wanted to apply for the Double Maitrise, but at the Open Day I was expressly told it was for those who were completely fluent, so I gave up on that idea!

I haven't done much prep either, I'm at a loss as to what to do. Probably read over the prep I did for my Cam interview, and read today's Times legal supplement.

What time is your interview?
london_bum
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Nope, I wanted to apply for the Double Maitrise, but at the Open Day I was expressly told it was for those who were completely fluent, so I gave up on that idea!

I haven't done much prep either, I'm at a loss as to what to do. Probably read over the prep I did for my Cam interview, and read today's Times legal supplement.

What time is your interview?
I hope the interviews aren't as academic as the Cambridge ones. I've heard some really strange stories, though. Apparently in one medicine interview, a person my friend knows (who interviews for Medicine at UCL) randomly pulled out a violin for someone and asked them to play, just to prove they weren't lying on their PS about it. Which was a bit :eek:

I'm at 3.30. You?
Lauren18
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Hey Vass!

Best wishes for tomorrow - you'll be great, as always! Ps. I still haven't heard from Cambridge... they said 'before the 31st' so hopefully in the next few days I'll know! I can't get it off my mind!

By the way... is Cam definitely your firm choice? Because UCL looks pretty good too...

Good luck! x x x
vintage_queen
I hope the interviews aren't as academic as the Cambridge ones. I've heard some really strange stories, though. Apparently in one medicine interview, a person my friend knows (who interviews for Medicine at UCL) randomly pulled out a violin for someone and asked them to play, just to prove they weren't lying on their PS about it. Which was a bit :eek:

I'm at 3.30. You?
That is very strange indeed! I hope it's just an urban legend...

I'm at 4pm, so I'll be straight after you!
vintage_queen
(Original post by Lauren18)
Hey Vass!

Best wishes for tomorrow - you'll be great, as always! Ps. I still haven't heard from Cambridge... they said 'before the 31st' so hopefully in the next few days I'll know! I can't get it off my mind!

By the way... is Cam definitely your firm choice? Because UCL looks pretty good too...

Good luck! x x x
Hey, thanks so much Lauren!

I'm so sorry I haven't replied to your PM yet, awful I know. I will do so a.s.a.p.

I've got my fingers crossed for you getting a Cam place.

And yep, it is definitely my firm choice. UCL does look very good, especially the whole spending a year in Paris bit, but I just love Downing too much.
london_bum
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
That is very strange indeed! I hope it's just an urban legend...

I'm at 4pm, so I'll be straight after you!
How did you find it?! I actually really liked it...all the people seemed really lovely, and even the tutor I had was nice.

French bit was a little off...but I desperately want a place now!
tomcoolinguk
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
How did you find it?! I actually really liked it...all the people seemed really lovely, and even the tutor I had was nice.

So would you choose it over LSE... you know it makes sense!!!
Did they give you any indication of when you would find out? And also, any indiciation of whether they'd be interviewing for standard Law?
vintage_queen

I liked it too! Who did you have interviewing you?

I was dreading my French...but I think it was okay.
london_bum
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I liked it too! Who did you have interviewing you?

I was dreading my French...but I think it was okay.
I THINK (I say this because his name didn't actually register in my mind when she said it), it was Jonathan Rogers. (With a French man called David).

What about yours?

ETA: I've ALREADY started checking track obsessively, even though they said 3-4 weeks. :rolleyes:
london_bum
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by tomcoolinguk)
So would you choose it over LSE... you know it makes sense!!!
Did they give you any indication of when you would find out? And also, any indiciation of whether they'd be interviewing for standard Law?
I'll see if they give me an offer first!

They were interviewing for straight Law today. Lots and lots and lots were just for straight Law. From my school, out of five, three were called to interview (including me), and two haven't. Apart from me, the rest are all straight Law.

ETA: Just hope they don't invite you for interview if they plan to reject you. Before the open day, I was so uninterested as to whether they made me an offer or not, but now if they don't, I'll be extremely disappointed.
UCL_Law
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I THINK (I say this because his name didn't actually register in my mind when she said it), it was Jonathan Rogers. (With a French man called David).
Ah Jonathan Rogers interviews?! You lucky things! lol Actually bless him, he's quite sweet. Oh and he introduced me to the term "digital sex"! lol
london_bum
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by UCL_Law)
Ah Jonathan Rogers interviews?! You lucky things! lol Actually bless him, he's quite sweet. Oh and he introduced me to the term "digital sex"! lol
He was very nice. Didn't intimidate me at ALL, unlike the scary Cambridge man.

(My friend, BTW, was interview by Jeffrey Jowell).

I'm presuming you're at UCL now...did you have an interview?
UCL_Law
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Ah Jeffrey Jowell, I love that man, he was so great in Public Law lectures.

And yep, I'm a 2nd year Law student at UCL, and I escaped an interview!
jamiepuk17
Report 14 years ago
I have a friend who's got an interview for law and spanish on february 10, was just wondering what the format was in terms of how much of your interview was language based? (for the law + french people?) Be grateful for any help!
tomcoolinguk
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by jamiepuk17)
I have a friend who's got an interview for law and spanish on february 10, was just wondering what the format was in terms of how much of your interview was language based? (for the law + french people?) Be grateful for any help!
when did he find out he'd got an interview?
jamiepuk17
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by tomcoolinguk)
when did he find out he'd got an interview?
She found out she had two days ago. But she's ****ting herself and is unsure of what to prepare for and how much of the interview will be in Spanish and how much for regular law.
vintage_queen
(Original post by jamiepuk17)
The majority of my interview was in English, but my interviewer randomly threw a French question at me every now and again. It was all pretty basic stuff ("Why do you want to do French Law?" "Have you ever been to France?" and one more which I can't remember). He also asked me about the headscarf ban so it may be worthwhile for your friend to think about any big legal issues in Spain at the moment.

Hope that helps!
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Surrey
    Postgraduate Open Afternoon Postgraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Bristol
    Undergraduate Open Afternoon Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (33)
25%
No (99)
75%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed