The Student Room Group

When to start packing for uni?

I move into my uni room on the 15th-16th of September. Its next month but im wondering when is the perfect time to start packing. Like not too late and not too early. I still need to create. A list of what I actually need. BUT HELP LOL
Reply 1
I'm moving at the same time, my parents are going away the first week of September though so I want to have most of it done before then. A lot of things you won't actually be able to pack until the day/s before you leave though.

Ultimately I guess it depends how much stuff you're bringing haha. I don't think you'll need more than a week before though.
Best not to overstress about it, you can find "stuff to pack list" online but give yourself a week or two in advance of when you're certain you'll be going.
Original post by meganparker181
I move into my uni room on the 15th-16th of September. Its next month but im wondering when is the perfect time to start packing. Like not too late and not too early. I still need to create. A list of what I actually need. BUT HELP LOL

:hi:
No harm in starting to gather stuff :thumbsup: Another option is to go through your current stuff to see if there's anything you can declutter and donate :smile:

Decide how your gonna pack your things e.g. boxes, suitcases etc. I find banana boxes from supermarkets really useful (my dad prefers them from bags because you can stack them in the car, whereas with with those big zip bags its harder and they're less durable (annoyingly after a few months some of the zips broke on mine too) :colondollar:

If you know if you're catered or self catered that means you can start collecting kitchen stuff. Do not under any circumstances buy plain knives and forks or it'll be indistinguishable by the end of the year :biggrin:

I always find this list helpful :yep:
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/university/freshers/what-to-take-to-university-checklist
(edited 1 year ago)

Hiya

You've still got time so don't worry, you can start by making a list of what you'll need. @Chronoscope has shared a really helpful one and there are plenty others available on the net which you can find with a quick search. Once you're done with that, start packing the stuff that you'll need at uni but aren't using at home right now. This could be stationery items, some clothes, utensils if you're in self-catered accommodation etc. There might also be things you need to buy so start shopping if you haven't already! Once you start, it'll be much easier to get a hold of time and keep a track of what you've packed and what's missing.

Pro tip: Make a list of the stuff you're packing as you pack it, otherwise later you might forget whether you've actually packed it or not :smile:

-Himieka
(edited 1 year ago)

Hey @meganparker181

I'd say you don't need to physically pack until a week before but definitely start thinking about what you already have now so you can figure out if you need to buy anything before you go! I'd recommend keeping a list of what you find yourself using in day-to-day life in the run up to university, you might regularly be using something that you wouldn't think to take.

Good luck with university!
Rebecca
Original post by Chronoscope
:hi:

Decide how your gonna pack your things e.g. boxes, suitcases etc. I find banana boxes from supermarkets really useful (my dad prefers them from bags because you can stack them in the car, whereas with with those big zip bags its harder and they're less durable (annoyingly after a few months some of the zips broke on mine too) :colondollar:

If you know if you're catered or self catered that means you can start collecting kitchen stuff. Do not under any circumstances buy plain knives and forks or it'll be indistinguishable by the end of the year :biggrin:

I always find this list helpful :yep:
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/university/freshers/what-to-take-to-university-checklist

I bought some collapsible plastic crates for my son which fold flat so they can be stored when not in use. He still uses in his home 10 years later as laundry baskets etc.

Pack? No no no . You sling everything into all bags the evening before and Uber it down to your new place in the morning

Tick things off as you pack them. Have stuff you need straight away like bedding somewhere obvious. Take stuff to make a drink as moving in is thirsty work.
Hi @meganparker181

I started to get things together in the week before uni. I didn’t want to overload myself as I was working the summer as well so I wanted to do little and often so I didn’t feel I forgot anything or had to rush around at the last minute.

For me, I found that the best way to ensure I felt confident I had everything and also to get everything ready was to focus on one bit at a time and get all the bits and pieces together. For example, I would do kitchen bits, then stationary, then bedroom bits and do a little every few days before doing clothes at the last bit.

This helped me to feel organised as well as order bits I needed or make sure I had packed everything. As I was going to the University of Portsmouth I got used to their website and found this list here that helped me make sure I had packed everything.

I hope this helps and you have a great time at uni

Luke Portsmouth Student Rep
It's not a fashion show. Don't pack too much.

Hey,

You have plenty of time! But you should start making a list, there will be plenty of guidelines online and even Youtube videos for you to watch.

If you are moving into halls, do you have a group chat for your flat? If so, you can try and split some stuff so you don’t have to buy loads of new things.

As long as you have given yourself a few days to a week, that will be more than enough time to pack! I advise you do not leave it til the night before (like I did)!

Good luck 😊
Sara

Hey, totally depends on how much you are bringing. When I went to Chester uni I had loads of stuff and took about a week to go through and decide. Look at lists online and include everything that makes home and home.

Hey!

From my experience, I would start creating the list of everything you need to buy this week perhaps and then try and shop for those things before the end of August. That then gives you a couple of weeks to check you've got everything that you need and gives you time to get anything you might have missed from your original list, without it being a mad rush! I didn't pack clothes until a few days before just because i was still wearing most of them up until I left!

Hope this helps a bit!
Abby, University of Chichester Student Rep, First Year Ambassador

Oh my god like totally start flapping like a two stroke engine and pack like 6 months ago.

:biggrin:

however to be honest have you seen the size of your room and storage space?

The accom pictures are very lie lie lie looks bright and airy.

Pack really light and drip stuff in when you go home for a replen.

If you are coming in hot from a land far away go light and buld as you go! Got three years ish to collect stuff :smile:

varies by room size and pennies in your pocket.

RECONNAISSANCE is the best counter to every battle that runs hot :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest