Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hello, I know this is slightly early to be asking this question but its bugging me. I am taking a gap year and reapplying, orginally i was going to go to uni this year but the situation changed. During this year i am obviously earning money which i wasn't while i was at college, I seem to remember when i filled in the form for student finance last year there was somewhere where it asked your earnings. Do my earnings now get added on to my parents earnings to work out household income or do they only use mine or only my parents to work out the grant. Basically what i am asking is will i be worse off for taking a gap year and having a job? Also how would this situation change if i moved out?

ReputationRep:
    If you're not going to have the job when you study then it won't affect your loan. I doubt many students report earnings from part time jobs whilst at Uni.

ReputationRep:
    You're not required to. Only student income taken into account is unearned income (bank interest, rental, pensions)

ReputationRep:
    if you are 21+ they calculate your loan/grant from your own income, if you are 21 or younger, it goes off your parents..simple!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by charli159)
    if you are 21+ they calculate your loan/grant from your own income, if you are 21 or younger, it goes off your parents..simple!
    No thats wrong you have to be 25 or over to automatically be considered independent and have it based on your own income and not your parents.

Under 25 you are only considered independent if you have been supporting yourself for 3 years and can prove it or if you are married.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.