The Student Room Group

Joining a Sport?

So I'm starting University next month and am in my mid 20's. I missed out on school/left early due to mental health issues and never knowing what I wanted to do but I would love to join a sport at Uni as it's something I'm interested in (the social aspect and playing!)

Just wondered if anyone else was 'older' who played on a sports team at uni? Quite anxious thinking I'll be too old even though I'm quite active in my daily life :smile:
TL: DR - don't worry about it, try out as many sports as you can and have fun

At least at my uni, albeit it isn't very sports oriented, I don't think anyone would really realise at all in most sports clubs. The club's I've heard being the most friendly are the sports not many people have heard of, because most people that join haven't played before, so it's got a big social aspect to it rather than people taking the sport really seriously.

My uni does introductory sessions for the sports clubs and I'm pretty sure most other unis do, of really recommend doing these, maybe going with someone and trying out as many as you can, even sports you'd never think you'd do after that one session. If nothing else for a bit of fun, but also you may find something you really enjoy doing
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Anonymous
So I'm starting University next month and am in my mid 20's. I missed out on school/left early due to mental health issues and never knowing what I wanted to do but I would love to join a sport at Uni as it's something I'm interested in (the social aspect and playing!)

Just wondered if anyone else was 'older' who played on a sports team at uni? Quite anxious thinking I'll be too old even though I'm quite active in my daily life :smile:

Hey Anon,

So I didn't join a team during my degree but I was roughly the same age as you (mid 20's) when I started, so in many ways I can relate to how you're feeling. The good news is that despite the nerves and worries, you'll find university is such a wide mix of people from all different backgrounds and ages. Sure, 18/19 might be the most common age of students in first year, but there will be a good few students who are also a few years older and around the same age as you too :smile:

Sports teams and clubs are a great way to meet new friends and others from different degrees. Again, you might find most are around 18 to 19, but if you enjoy the sport you've joined then they'll see that and it quickly won't even cross your mind that your different ages! Here at Chichester our Sports department is one of our largest in terms of degrees and students, but also in the amount of clubs and teams our students can join. They're always so welcoming and encouraging of students, regardless of if they're studying in the department or from a different degree, to get involved with them. I'm sure where you'll be studying it will be the same experience :smile:

I hope this helps! If you have any other questions or would like some more advice, please do let me know and I'll be happy to help!

Tom
University of Chichester Student Rep and Alumni
Original post by All Blunt
TL: DR - don't worry about it, try out as many sports as you can and have fun

At least at my uni, albeit it isn't very sports oriented, I don't think anyone would really realise at all in most sports clubs. The club's I've heard being the most friendly are the sports not many people have heard of, because most people that join haven't played before, so it's got a big social aspect to it rather than people taking the sport really seriously.

My uni does introductory sessions for the sports clubs and I'm pretty sure most other unis do, of really recommend doing these, maybe going with someone and trying out as many as you can, even sports you'd never think you'd do after that one session. If nothing else for a bit of fun, but also you may find something you really enjoy doing

Thank you!! That's super helpful and appreciated! I think the uni I'm going to do the same!
Original post by ChichesterStuRep
Hey Anon,

So I didn't join a team during my degree but I was roughly the same age as you (mid 20's) when I started, so in many ways I can relate to how you're feeling. The good news is that despite the nerves and worries, you'll find university is such a wide mix of people from all different backgrounds and ages. Sure, 18/19 might be the most common age of students in first year, but there will be a good few students who are also a few years older and around the same age as you too :smile:

Sports teams and clubs are a great way to meet new friends and others from different degrees. Again, you might find most are around 18 to 19, but if you enjoy the sport you've joined then they'll see that and it quickly won't even cross your mind that your different ages! Here at Chichester our Sports department is one of our largest in terms of degrees and students, but also in the amount of clubs and teams our students can join. They're always so welcoming and encouraging of students, regardless of if they're studying in the department or from a different degree, to get involved with them. I'm sure where you'll be studying it will be the same experience :smile:

I hope this helps! If you have any other questions or would like some more advice, please do let me know and I'll be happy to help!

Tom
University of Chichester Student Rep and Alumni

Thank you for this that's put my mind at ease! I think I get along with anyone so age doesn't bother me I just don't want to be seen as 'too old' by others haha. Thank you though! :biggrin:
Original post by Anonymous

Hi,
I would definitely recommend joining a sport whilst at Uni. When I came to Uni I joined the rowing team (having never rowed before) and it is one of the best decisions I have made. It has been a great way to meet new people and has a large social aspect as well as giving the opportunity to have weekly training and compete at competitions. Sport can also be beneficial to students mental and physical health and give an escape form university course stress.
In the last 3 years that I have been a member of a university sport there has been a large number of students who joined over 20 - both first years and above including PHD and master students. In my experience Uni sports clubs are inclusive and age is not and should not be a boundary to getting involved. If you are interested in the sport then that is what matters.
I really encourage you to attend any come and try sessions that sport clubs may offer in freshers and/or reach out to any sports your interested in. Please don't fret about your age and best wishes for whatever sport/s you join!

Catherine - University of Strathclyde Student Ambassador
Yeah man, sports is a medication to relax and have fun

Quick Reply

Latest